Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone replaced steering shaft coupler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone replaced steering shaft coupler?

Has anyone replaced the steering intermediate shaft that bolts onto the rack and pinion and to the steering column on their car because it was loose or making a noise? If so what was your steering doing that you could tell it was the problem.

Last edited by chevygirl; 07-15-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chevygirl
Has anyone replaced this part on their car because it was loose u-joints such or making a noise? If so what was your steering doing that you could tell it was the problem.

Steering will get VERY vague. You can still drive, just go real slow. Anything at speed will be a real handful
Old 07-15-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

i have 120k on mine my buddy has one with 69k and both felt the same
Old 07-15-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mine is making a noise when you rock the steering wheel some.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Launching!

You can get one off ebay, but it will have play in the rag joint. Lots of people replace it with a aluminum joint. It's called the Rag Joint Eliminator. I'm installing mine as soon as it comes.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by xbcrguy182x
You can get one off ebay, but it will have play in the rag joint. Lots of people replace it with a aluminum joint. It's called the Rag Joint Eliminator. I'm installing mine as soon as it comes.
I am pretty sure LS1 cars do not have a rag joint. There may still be some improvement to be had by giving the steering shaft some attention but it's not nearly as troublesome as the LT1 car's version.

Hijack: 1000 posts!! WooT!!
Old 07-15-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my car to a front end guy and he said that my steering shaft coupler was sloppy.This guy is supposed to be the best.I never liked the feel of the steering on this car. I bought one out of a wrecked car with 65k on this site.I replaced it and man was that thing a pain to get off.I thought this guy had rocks in his head but I figured that I would give it a try.
I test drove the car and man the steering felt a lot tighter.The guy was right.I checked my old one and it didn't feel any different(off the car).I talked to a big name rack and steering place and they said that they could probably replace the u joints. I think the name was Flaming River.Do a google search.
If you need one you should try to find a part out car.That is what I would do first.Mine was not making noise or anything like that.

Last edited by transwiz; 07-15-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by chevygirl
Has anyone replaced this part on their car because it was loose u-joints such or making a noise? If so what was your steering doing that you could tell it was the problem.

STILL HAVING PROBLEMS???

Ok,

Here is what I know about the intermediate shaft.

As far as new replacements you aren't going to find them except for some aftermarket stuff from companies like Flaming River.

There are no new stock parts and no remans. Junk yard only.

It is a low wear part that shouldn't need replaced but some people have wear on them. Probably due to bad bearings or lack of lubrication. Maybe if you got into a wreck.

Some GM vehicles, mostly trucks, had a service campaign to replace them if there was looseness in the steering or if you hear a thumping sound coming from the engine bay while turning.

Remove the intermediate shaft and test it for play. Only way to find out for sure.

If you are hearing a sound it could be from the lower and upper steering shafts in the steering column not being a tight fit and having the plastic retainer broken in it from being in a wreck. But those shafts wouldn't cause a steering issue. The intermediate shaft having bad u joints COULD.

Dunno if that helps. Good luck.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

only LT1's had the rag joint, the ls1's used the u-joint that all of us lt guys are envious about I put the ragjoint eliminator in my car and feel it was one of the best mods for the money that I have ever done on any car
Old 07-15-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

1redta you wouldnt be in the 101st airborne would you. i spent many of days at fort campbell when i was in the 502nd infantry with the 101st
Old 07-18-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I took put my hand right at the top right before it goes in to the firewall an inch or so back there is a noise when I move it by hand and it does move a little. If I take my hand at the very bottom it barely moves but no noise where it goes into the rack.

I am trying to find a noise when I turn the steering wheel to the left and the reason why when I go over bumps in parking lots, driveways etc. it still reacts in the steering wheel by moving the steering wheel a little by itself. You can feel it. I got rid of the steering wheel shimmy with the new rack and pinion. Just trying to solve these 2 problems now.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

do you know if your car had ever jumped a curb hit one dead on or nailed a huge pot hole. if so it could of broken something in the column
Old 07-18-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Is this the same type of part that the Suburbans/Tahoe/Yukon are having clunking, clicking and play in the steering? I believe THEY have an issue with the intermediate steering shaft. Guys with those vehicles have gone so far as to tap a grease nipple on the nuckles (shaft u joints) instead of replacement. Just a thought.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by goldmecham
do you know if your car had ever jumped a curb hit one dead on or nailed a huge pot hole. if so it could of broken something in the column
As far as the collumn. Isn't too much to break. The ball can wear out and you can install a new ball kit. Or the plastic plug between the shafts can break. This causes slight movement in the shafts and noise. You can tell if you remove the intermediate shaft and are able to pull the lower shaft in and out of the collumn housing.

Originally Posted by pewter2002
Is this the same type of part that the Suburbans/Tahoe/Yukon are having clunking, clicking and play in the steering? I believe THEY have an issue with the intermediate steering shaft. Guys with those vehicles have gone so far as to tap a grease nipple on the nuckles (shaft u joints) instead of replacement. Just a thought.
Yes. You are talking about the intermediate steering shaft. Those trucks had issues where the bearings weren't greased right and wore out causing steering play and noise.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any of you guys know the size of the bolt (thread/pitch/length) that connects the steering shaft to the intermediate shaft? I need one since the repair shop lost mine when they replaced the rack and I just noticed it when replacing my motor.

Quick Reply: Anyone replaced steering shaft coupler?