Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR or UMI?

Old 07-15-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMR or UMI?

is tehre any reason to go with one over the other for parts like SFCs, LCAs, K-member, etc? so far i'm looking at doing everything from UMI jus because i like uniformity, is there a reason to do otherwise?
Old 07-15-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

They both make quality pieces. Personally, I'd go with the one you can get the best deal on.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that was my thought as well, thanks for the quick reply
Old 07-15-2009, 01:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up UMI Performance!

Originally Posted by pheer
is tehre any reason to go with one over the other for parts like SFCs, LCAs, K-member, etc? so far i'm looking at doing everything from UMI jus because i like uniformity, is there a reason to do otherwise?
Hello
I am not one to another manufacture/Sponser. But When you purchase suspension products from UMI Performance you are getting a great quality product the will perform and will not let your expectations down. And all of our parts are made right here in the USA at our own facility in Bigler Pa! We also offer top notch tech advise if there are any problems. Below is a link to our BRAND NEW website!

http://umiperformance.com/

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 07-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Launching!

i have some umi parts, the quality is really good, and the parts do exactly what you want them to
Old 07-15-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Can't go wrong either way, so don't lose sleep.

I personally like the way UMI/Ryan does business so I buy my stuff from him or one of his distributors like Strano. You usually save a buck or two on comparable pieces, too.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

awesome, thats the way i was leaning... thanks!
and thanks UMISales, customer service is always a plus and showing it even before a purchase solidifies my decision
Old 07-15-2009, 02:35 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

BMR has been in the suspension business longer than both UMI and Spohn. Im not bashing either company they both make great products. We have a very good reputation for building some of the best parts in the business and our tech department is the best in the industry. We stand behind our products and if you ever have an issue with a BMR part we will get the problem resolved. Our parts are on some of the fastest stock suspension cars in the country and the reason for that is quality and performance that you can count on. Give me a call with the best price you can find and i will see what we can do for you. Give us a shot you won't regret it.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-15-2009, 03:30 PM
FormerVendor

awesome, thats the way i was leaning... thanks!
and thanks UMISales, customer service is always a plus and showing it even before a purchase solidifies my decision
Great! Feel free to give me a call and I will be more than glad to help when you are ready!
Thanks
Brad
Old 07-15-2009, 04:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

I sell UMI parts, for the same, sometimes a little less than they do directly.

I also work with them pretty closely. FWIW I find it amazing that this example wasn't mentioned (and you should note that I am the one mentioning it and remember it as part of the stuff I think about and how it relates to customers and making recommendations) that differences in some items like the K-member I helped with is VERY different between the two.

I defy anyone to look at a UMI K-member, even a standard one not a braced version and think the BMR is anywhere in the league in design or strength. They are designed for different reasons. BMR to be light, UMI to be lighter but also stronger and with more adjustment (my ideas....).

If you decide on UMI parts, I'd love the chance to be your source. I'll explain the parts, why I think what I think, and why I'd recommend what I'd recommend. If you want BMR, sorry--can't help.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-15-2009, 05:38 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I guess that some people design (1) K-member and think they are experts. BMR has designed (30) different K-members....and the list continues to grow.

The BMR K-member is primarily designed to be driven on the street. That's why we fabricate them from DOM steel. If the primary concern was weight, we would have used chrome moly tubing and 4130 plates.

Many racers, however, have selected to use BMR K-members in their high power drag cars. BMR has more than 100 customers running in the 7s and 8s that use our K-member in their 3rd or 4th gen F-bodies. The BMR K-member has been tested at 2000+ horsepower!! The BMR K-member has been used on drag radial cars that pull 1.16 seconds for 60 foot times!!

BMR has the ONLY production K-member that has been track tested on a 7-second car. That's over 1200 foot-pounds of torque trying to turn the K-member into a pretzel!! On top of that, the BMR K-member is still lighter than some other race K-members.

Adjustments? The BMR K-member is slotted to allow several variables to be adjusted. BMR started building K-members with adjustability before most suspension companies (and suspension retailers) were in business.

Interested in seeing one installed? Check out this BMR Project Vehicle. Page 7 has some good pics of the K-member:
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/Buildup1.htm

If you have any tech questions, please give BMR a call. We will be glad to help you...even if you decide not to purchase from BMR. And BMR won't bash you on the forums if you decide not to purchase from us.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 07-15-2009, 05:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Nobody was bashing anyone, just stating differences--apparently that is something I shouldn't do. In fact any time I say anything I seem to ruffle BMR's feathers and the result often seem to be disappearing threads. Hopefully this doesn't end up the same way.

My suggestion to the OP... Call the various suppliers who have answered you in this thread. Ask questions, see what they ask you, and make your decision on who to go with from the resulting information.

I don't really care how many k-members someone has designed, a big number does not insure a quality part in and of itself. And to that end, it sort of depends on what you want to do with the car. While BMR is crowing about their experience I'll remind you there is only one supplier here who makes suspensions work (and can prove it) around corners. That doesn't stop some from claiming they can do as good (or better) a job. And it won't stop me from saying my piece.

Again, my suggestion. Talk to various places, go with the place that gives you the information that helps the most and/or can best answer your questions and/or asks you questions in an effort to get you the right parts and/or can best explain their reasoning.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-15-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
I guess that some people design (1) K-member and think they are experts. BMR has designed (30) different K-members....and the list continues to grow.

The BMR K-member is primarily designed to be driven on the street. That's why we fabricate them from DOM steel. If the primary concern was weight, we would have used chrome moly tubing and 4130 plates.

Many racers, however, have selected to use BMR K-members in their high power drag cars. BMR has more than 100 customers running in the 7s and 8s that use our K-member in their 3rd or 4th gen F-bodies. The BMR K-member has been tested at 2000+ horsepower!! The BMR K-member has been used on drag radial cars that pull 1.16 seconds for 60 foot times!!

BMR has the ONLY production K-member that has been track tested on a 7-second car. That's over 1200 foot-pounds of torque trying to turn the K-member into a pretzel!! On top of that, the BMR K-member is still lighter than some other race K-members.

Adjustments? The BMR K-member is slotted to allow several variables to be adjusted. BMR started building K-members with adjustability before most suspension companies (and suspension retailers) were in business.

Interested in seeing one installed? Check out this BMR Project Vehicle. Page 7 has some good pics of the K-member:
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/Buildup1.htm

If you have any tech questions, please give BMR a call. We will be glad to help you...even if you decide not to purchase from BMR. And BMR won't bash you on the forums if you decide not to purchase from us.
Do you have any examples (you've sited numerous others for drag racing) of cars with your products that can actually turn corners? Holding a car together for 7,8, or 9 seconds at a time is one thing but how about handling the stresses for 100K miles on our shitty public roads?
Old 07-15-2009, 06:00 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Both companies make good products. However, there are a few differences that make BMR a better choice:

BMR products are Proven On The Street - more 4th gen F-body cars are equipped with BMR suspension products than all other suspension companies combined!!

BMR products are Proven on the Track - BMR products have subtle design features that make them stronger than other suspension products. This is why most of the high-power F-body drag racers at both LSX Shoot Outs were using BMR suspension parts.

Great Tech Help - Call if you need help selecting a product or setting up your vehicle. Feel free to check out our tech videos on our homepage, even if you purchased product from another manufacturer: http://www.bmrfabrication.com/

Same Day Shipping - most BMR products are in stock and will ship the same day.

Great Return Policy - BMR realizes that sometimes project plans change. Check out our Terms and Conditions. Low restocking fee. No hassle returns. http://www.bmrfabrication.com/disclaimer.htm

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 07-15-2009, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=Sam Strano;11914001]Nobody was bashing anyone, just stating differences--apparently that is something I shouldn't do. In fact any time I say anything I seem to ruffle BMR's feathers and the result often seem to be disappearing threads. Hopefully this doesn't end up the same way.

I am sure that this doesnt have anything to do with your arrogent, unprofessional attitude.

I am just as sure that your support of UMI doesnt have anything to do with the fact that you sell their parts and make money off them.

You have bashed BMR many times on this forum and elsewhere... not exactly a neutral observer. Give me a break.

OP:
I have purchased parts from both BMR and UMI and have found them both to be quailty companies. You cant go wrong, I am sure!!

Nick
Old 07-15-2009, 06:12 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
Do you have any examples (you've sited numerous others for drag racing) of cars with your products that can actually turn corners? Holding a car together for 7,8, or 9 seconds at a time is one thing but how about handling the stresses for 100K miles on our shitty public roads?
Yep!! Surviving crappy roads is the primary goal of a BMR K-member. Not light weight. Not racing.

BMR has been building K-members for almost 10 years. Most other suspension companies don't have that much experience. If a K-member has 100K miles on it, it probably is a BMR K-member.

Other companies make good K-members, but they haven't been around long enough to survive the long term abuse.

We don't have any videos yet of a BMR F-body on an autocross course. However, we have some awesome videos of a 1971 Chevelle on an autocross. These videos were taken by Super Chevy magazine. They covered this car in their January and February issues this year. The BMR Chevelle beat a C5 Corvette in all 3 categories (autocross, slalom, and skidpad). Not bad for a 4000 pound car!!! Of course, the car had BMR suspension on the front and rear.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BMRFabrication

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 07-15-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
Yep!! Surviving crappy roads is the primary goal of a BMR K-member. Not light weight. Not racing.

BMR has been building K-members for almost 10 years. Most other suspension companies don't have that much experience. If a K-member has 100K miles on it, it probably is a BMR K-member.

Other companies make good K-members, but they haven't been around long enough to survive the long term abuse.

We don't have any videos yet of a BMR F-body on an autocross course. However, we have some awesome videos of a 1971 Chevelle on an autocross. These videos were taken by Super Chevy magazine. They covered this car in their January and February issues this year. The BMR Chevelle beat a C5 Corvette in all 3 categories (autocross, slalom, and skidpad). Not bad for a 4000 pound car!!! Of course, the car had BMR suspension on the front and rear.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BMRFabrication
Cool Video. Thanks for posting that up.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Teching In

I recomend Spohn. I have their products on my car and so do a lot of my friends and we are very pleased with the quality craftsmanship and results.
Plus they are a great group of guys and a family operated business.
Check them out!

http://spohn.net
Old 07-15-2009, 09:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Everyone,

First off thanks for considering UMI Performance products... we truly appreciate UMI being one of your choices.

Both companies make good products and both companies are here to help with your needs and problems. This is why this gets defensive... the salesman from both businesses feel there products are the best and they will proudly say that. We at UMI Performance are very confident in our products, quality and service.. maybe we haven't been around as long as the other guys but we are going on our 7th year of business with many cars using our products and many more to come. We pride ourselves on a quality American made product which is designed, tested and manufactured all in our facility.

Sam Strano is not biased to our products because he sells them. Sam Strano uses our products on a daily bases and they have proved to him they are worthy. Before Sam Strano even considered selling the UMI brand products he tested them for himself. We installed products on his 2001 Camaro and he put them to the test... needless to say they survived. Sam Strano also uses UMI products on his 2007 Shelby.. both the Shelby and Camaro have won national championships using UMI Performance products. A few products we offer for the 2005-2010 Ford Mustang were designed and tested using Sam Strano's 2007 Shelby.

Which ever company you choose I am sure you will be happy. We will not fight for your business but would rather earn it. If you have any questions regarding our products feel free to contact us and we are more than happy to assist you.

Best regards and good luck with your decision!

Ryan
Old 07-15-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

UMI and BMR are both good products.I have UMI and Edelbrock(lca's).I also have Strano
hollow sway bars and more.Call Strano up and talk to him.He is a good guy to deal with.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BMR or UMI?