Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Spool time via EBC discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 07:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Spool time via EBC discussion

I was reading a thread that got slightly off topic about using EBC settings to adjust spool time, so I thought I'd make a thread. It was in regards to programming the setting for what wastegate spring is installed. Take my car for example:

ST80 T4 1.1ar turbo
AEM tru-boost
Tial 44mm with ~10 psi spring (big red)
I have my duty cycle set to 50% which makes ~18psi

I have my AEM programmed to "think" my WG spring is a 9lb spring......because the way I understood it is that it will energize the solenoid keeping the gate closed at "9lbs" and keep the gate shut until my desired boost level.

Now if I changed the "WG spring setting" to 12psi, it would spool slower correct??? Because it would allow some ex. gas to escape between 10-12psi.

In the other thread I thought I was reading another member saying basically the opposite. He said if you program a higher "spring pressure setting", then it would spool faster.

Thoughts? Did I lose all of you? lol
Old 07-15-2009, 11:53 PM
9 Second Club

No input eh? I must of lost everyone lol. Poop..
Old 07-16-2009, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine a Greedy profec BII, to get the quickest spool you need to set the gain as close to the boost being run as you can without causing a boost spike.
that way it holds the gate closed until the last moment before desired boost is reached.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:17 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Johnv
mine a Greedy profec BII, to get the quickest spool you need to set the gain as close to the boost being run as you can without causing a boost spike.
that way it holds the gate closed until the last moment before desired boost is reached.
You said "gain". Is that the same as the "installed WG spring" setting on my AEM?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The "gain" setting on a Greddy Profec B Spec II alphabet soup boost controller sets the slope of the boost curve after the controller has already regulated the boost to the set level. It is used to adjust for any falling or creeping of the boost. I don't know how that relates to the AEM EBC though.

The "set gain" on the Profec controller sets the point at wich your WG will start to open. This allows you to adjust how fast you spool. It makes a big difference on my car. my WG spring (1bar) and my low boost setting (1bar) are the same boost reached, but with the controller on it gets to the max boost faster. If the roads are slippery I turn off the controller and it gets to .8 bar quick and then rises to .1 bar a little slower helping control wheelspin.