Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Know It Alls, in here please

Old 07-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Know It Alls, in here please

I had a cam and set of heads installed on my 98 in March. At first it started fine other than having to give it a little gas, but the starter would turn and turn and turn. About a month later I took the exhaust off to sell, everything up to the y-pipe and drove it around until last night. In that period of time when you went to start the car it would turn and then stop, if you held the key it would start screaming and kinda sound like metal was clashing. I could feel when that was about to happen so I'd let go of the key, wait, and then try it again. If the car stalled, forget it, I'd be sitting there for 20 minutes until it decided to start again. I thought maybe taking the exhaust off was the culprit behind this so last night it was put back on (noise ordinance). It's still doing it. I talked to someone who said that the 98's have a "defect" and that the block will crack where the starter is and let it not align properly or some ****. I'm no mechanic but before I get worried and go lift the car up is this a real thing? He also said it could be the flexplate. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:46 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've seen starters snap off of other years too, not just 98's. Oil would be pouring out if that was the case and it wouldn't start at all.

More than likely just a starter issue. The bendix is probably worn down/chewed up. If it's the original from 98, it's at the end of it's life for sure.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Launching!

never heard of that and I used to own a 98 T/A and have alwasy looked into what supposedly makes 98 ls1 suck compared to the newer ones never heard of that. could be ur starter on its way out maybe
Old 07-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Or just listen to damian he know his **** ive never heard this before always learning new stuff pn here
Old 07-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Damian
I've seen starters snap off of other years too, not just 98's. Oil would be pouring out if that was the case and it wouldn't start at all.

More than likely just a starter issue. The bendix is probably worn down/chewed up. If it's the original from 98, it's at the end of it's life for sure.
I had to replace the stock one almost a year ago. Thanks for the info, I believe it's still under warranty from Advance.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

That is probably your problem. You never know what you'll end up with on a Autozone Advance starter. And no 98 specific years do not blow the starters off. They can fail on any year and any engine with an aluminum block.

Search this Thread