Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T56 behind a LSx

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 behind a LSx

Ok a couple of friends and I are discussing mounting a "D&D" Viper T56 behind an LSx. Now the D&D has a plate bolted to it to allow it to be bolted behind a GEN I using an "old school" bellhousing.

Our theory is this. Why couldnt I take a LS series bellhousing, remove the plate from the D&D, and bolt it to the transmission?

The question is, what is the overall length of the LS bellhousing? Now I also am trying to take into account the crankshaft flange position differnence of .400" between the GEN I and GEN III.

Anybody have any thoughts?
Old 07-17-2009, 06:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are a number of people who make bellhousing that allow a muncie or TKO trans to be bolted to an LS motor. You might ask the D&D guys, but sounds like if it will bolt to a first gen it should bolt to one of these LS bellhousings.

Kiesler makes one that is a reproduction of a Big Block bell from the old days. So youi might be able to source a used one from a swap meet.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Staging Lane

We want to get rid of the GM 4-speed bellhousing if possible and switch over to a bellhousing out of say, an 02 Camaro with a t56 and a ls1. I believe it will bolt to the front of the Viper tranny right? I mean for the most part all t56's share the same case, its just the internals that designate what the tranny is stuck behind right?
Old 07-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Teching In

You need to determine what input shaft in in the T56. If it's about 6.4" measured from a straight edge placed across the face of the transmission where it mounts to the bellhousing, it's a an LS1 T56 and will bolt right up to an LS1 bellhousing. If it's about 7" it's the Viper T56 input shaft.

If it's a Viper T56 input shaft you have two choices - you can swap the input shaft for an LS1 input shaft, or you can get a "scallop" ring from McLeod to space the transmission back about 0.5". You'll also need a Viper slave cylinder (the LS1 and Viper slaves are clocked differently on the transmission) and a pilot bushing for the Viper input shaft (which Mcleod makes). Take a look here for details and part numbers: http://www.mcleodind.com/application...L_HOUSING.html
Old 07-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks that's about some of the best info I have gotten yet.

When you say Viper T56, do you mean the original shaft as if it came out of a Viper or the shaft that has been modified for GM applications?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 69importkilla
Thanks that's about some of the best info I have gotten yet.

When you say Viper T56, do you mean the original shaft as if it came out of a Viper or the shaft that has been modified for GM applications?
Yes - when I said Viper input shaft I meant an unmodified shaft as used in the Viper car.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

Well thanks again, maybe I should try to pick up a used GM T56/LSx bellhousing, bolt it to the front of the Viper tranny and see where it locates the input shaft. Hopefully the .400" in crank flange difference will help.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

mkelcy,

got any thoughts to how this would work the modified input shaft?

Quick Reply: T56 behind a LSx