Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Buying an STS kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying an STS kit

Hey guys (and girls),

Im picking up an STS turbo kit from a guy locally here in AZ tomorrow, its a brand new kit with an upgraded GT67MM turbo. My goal is to achieve 400-450rwhp@ 5-6lbs of boost. Does anybody have any thoughts/opinions on STS? By the way I will be bolting this on my BONE STOCK 02 camaro SS A4 with 30k miles. Im sort of a newb when it comes to forced induction.. Are injectors/fuel pump needed for this kit? Also since i have an A4 is a BOV really necessary?

Sorry to bomb you with all these questions, thanks in advance for any replies

-Ryan
Old 07-17-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a bov is necessary no matter what tranny you use in my opinion
Old 07-17-2009, 09:45 AM
10 Second Club

You will need injectors (at least 42lb), a walbro fuel pump, and a colder spark plug (TR6 .035 gap)

And of course you need to have car tuned
Old 07-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

okay, sounds good.

apparently we have an extra racetronix laying around hows that compared to the walbro?
42lbs injectors and BOV will be on order this week.

thanks
Old 07-17-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

the racetronix should be fine
Old 07-17-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Regular

Injectors, fuel pump, BOV, and a good tune to get started.

Exhaust wrap from the manifolds to the turbo, better flowing fuel rails,and front mount intercooler to tap into more potential of the kit.

If you installing yourself take your time and once everyting is installed piping wise do what you can to tuck the piping and turbo as high as possible for clearance.

Definately get some sort of a boost gauge to monitor boost psi. and a wideband to monitor engine mixture once burned. You can run one after the y-pipe but I run one for each bank to monitor both banks of the engine.

Anything past that if you have ?'s post it up.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

I would also recommend you get some double valve springs. The LS1's valvetrain is really weak.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Injectors and valvesprings are the absolute bare minimum requirements. However, to get good results, you need to follow all of the other advice in the previous replies. Once you do that, there are a ton of other things you can do to optimize your setup.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by OreoLt1
Injectors, fuel pump, BOV, and a good tune to get started.

Exhaust wrap from the manifolds to the turbo, better flowing fuel rails,and front mount intercooler to tap into more potential of the kit.

If you installing yourself take your time and once everyting is installed piping wise do what you can to tuck the piping and turbo as high as possible for clearance.

Definately get some sort of a boost gauge to monitor boost psi. and a wideband to monitor engine mixture once burned. You can run one after the y-pipe but I run one for each bank to monitor both banks of the engine.

Anything past that if you have ?'s post it up.

Okay great info from a guy running the same kit! thanks man, btw what BOV are you running? you reccomend one for an A4? also which FMIC are you running?
Old 07-18-2009, 01:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good stall converter will make a huge difference.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:41 AM
Staging Lane

im planning a 3800 stall ...what do u think??
Old 07-18-2009, 05:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS Ryan
im planning a 3800 stall ...what do u think??
Give Greg at FTI a call for your stall. http://www.fticonverters.com/
Mine is set to stall around 3200 under light throttle and about 4200 under boost.

Get rid of the STS PCV setup. Just run a catch can. Mine failed on my Avalanche and blew oil all over the engine bay. Would be a shame to do that on your 30k mile SS. Just get an Ebay intercooler and modify the piping for it to work. STS wants a grand for theirs. It's a huge waste of money to do that. What boost controller are you going to run? (I'm local and I have an Eboost2 for sale if you're interested)

Who is going to tune your car? NicD does a lot of the stuff here in Phoenix. He himself owns a couple of pretty bad turbo cars. A Camaro and a GTO. www.gonicd.com

There are some good shops to go to here in Phoenix, but there are also some that just suck.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:27 AM
TECH Junkie

A BIV at your boost levels with an auto is a noise-enhancer, not a power-adder. Make sure the items you add contribute respective power/dollar.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
A BIV at your boost levels with an auto is a noise-enhancer, not a power-adder. Make sure the items you add contribute respective power/dollar.
and also keeps you from back spinning the turbo and messing it up if you dont have a ball bearing turbo
Old 07-18-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

have you checked out my build? I know my car is manual tranny, but it may help you as it is still an STS kit.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

your about 4hrs away from Vegas... you have my PM and a phone call doesn't cost next to nothing.. his 4999 number is his cell, it's quicker then emailing him thats for sure
Old 07-18-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SS Ryan
Okay great info from a guy running the same kit! thanks man, btw what BOV are you running? you reccomend one for an A4? also which FMIC are you running?
I am running the TIAL BOV that came from STS and a 31x12x4in. deep intercooler from cxracing off of ebay. Ebay was cheaper than actual website and have seen people put 800+ on these coolers with excellent flow.

I made the piping myself for the front mount but others offer the piping in kits now. I just didn't like to continue to put the piping in front of the powersteering pulley and routed differently.

If interested I have a lot of install pics I can send through e-mail.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for all the good info. i got my kit everything looks legitimate. i plan to do the install in a couple of weeks once i buy the injectors/fuel pump. i talked to a guy at STS he says do the BOV even though its an A4 as far as the intercooler goes I think he said they sell one.. but are there any complete kits online that comes with the correct tubing, im not really lookin to do much custom work. ill probably give that guy a phone call to get some extra info and pics would be great ryaneich@gmail.com is my email.

thanks again
Ryan

Quick Reply: Buying an STS kit