Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Broken 10 bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 05:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken 10 bolt?

Ok, this is my first post. And from what i can tell you guys dont tend to deal much with pick ups, but i figure as its a third generation v8 powered pick up you guys might know a thing or two about it. What are the chances that a 4800lb truck with a stock 295 horse 5.3 with a CAI could break the carrier housing on an eaton locker?
ohh yeah its an 06 silverado 5' 8" bed extended cab... 3.73 and as far as i can tell its a 30 spline 8.625" ring gear...
ill take some pics tomorrow, but all spider gears are chipped, i think thats cause i had to drive it home while broken and the entire carrier case is broken and cracked causing the spiders to mesh wrong and break teeth. but the pin holding the 2 spiders in will not come out, even after removing the 8mm retainer bolt and knocking on it with a hammer, i was told it should tap out rather easily and the spiders should come out with it making the axles and carrier be able to be removed? am i correct or am i missing something? when i say the carrier is cracked i mean BIG cracks running all through the passenger side of the carrier housing running to the drivers side as well, not to mention the piece that the pin goes through in the middle of the differential that seemingly holds the spiders apart broke clean into two pieces.

the reason i ask is because the truck was involved in an accident with a curb in nov of 06 in which the drivers rear wheel was literally torn off, i managed to get a hold of the repair order from the body shop that did the repairs
and they charged for an entire axle housing replacement, and when i called and asked what that entails they told me that the pumpkin/axle tubes were replaced along with bearings and axles but the ring pinion and carrier assembly from the old axle were removed and put in the new case... i suspect that there might have been hairline cracks in the carrier housing and seeing as there is no charge for magnaflux i could see how that could go un noticed, what im asking is, is there a possibility that the accident might have caused the failure of the diff?

Last edited by Wayfastwhitey967; 07-17-2009 at 05:52 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

One of my very close friends had to have his 2005 GMC 1500 4x4 pickups rear end rebuilt. The thing was trashed and his truck is bone stock and he doesn't drive hard at all; its his daily driver. So its not uncommon!
Old 07-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

hmmm, what would the best fix be? cause i mean its not like im gunna build it into a drag truck or expect ridiculous performance out of it should i just put it back to stock and hope it doesnt break again?
Old 07-18-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a 2001 1500 Suburban 5.3 ltr and if I had broken the rearend in it I would just have it rebuilt to OEM spec. Its possible that whoever repaired the axle didn't set it up correctly or like you said...the housing may have been damaged.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Broken 10 bolt?