Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Custom made turbo kit for GTO.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Custom made turbo kit for GTO.

2005 6 speed GTO. The idea behind this, was to not spend alot of money. It's my cousins and I's idea... and the reason is, we wanted or wished we could have something for the GTO to handle some highway cars but,..didn't have the extra money to invest cause we already had other more important costly builds going on. We're pretty much building this setup from somewhat used parts,.... that probably anybody could mock with fabrication skills(keyword,...skills).

The story goes...

I had two schweitzer turbo's that were brand new, and old. Like from the 70's old. Unused. Intended for a powerboat but never installed. I talked to my turbo shop, miketurbo.com...after having my precision's reworked, I gave them these turbos to play with. They ended up changeing the compressor wheels and housings to a GT35r compressor wheels. We used master power modified housings that they had laying around.
I couldn't be happier for the small price invested,.... I actually had them for sale but, some guy tried to screw me over, I got pissed,..and just gave to my cousin and said you can have them, if you put them on the goat.

He, like a good Jedi, accepted. I gave my old wastegates, turbomart 38mm street gates, with multiple springs to choose. We had racepartsolutions hook us up with all the flanges since they are also local. We have a shop neigbor, double AA performance, who is a master fabricator. We bought the material,...brainstormed....brainstrormed,....smok ed some weed,(kiding)...brainstormed some more....and came up with the best possible idea for a location.

Driverside near completion. The pic shows the wastegate but it's just sitting there,..it is not the location it will be afixed

We want a simple 600rwhp on low boost, pump gas, stock motor with exception of a FAST intake, soon to add intank pump or inline, 60 pound injectors,....and a boost a pump.

Thats it,... we recently put in a textralia 700 which should do wonderful.

..the pipes, The compressed air, is two inch outlets on each turbo. We will run two inch pipe from each turbo, to each intercooler inlet. The cooler compressed air, exiting the intercooler will be between roughly 3 1/2 inches...and possibly four. the exhaust housing exit is actually 2 1/2 inches and they are T3 housings. Were planning on running those straight to the stock cats right now. Manly cause every car in our arsenal,....all run an offroad style exhaust of some sort. This is gonna be nice to jump in,...and not have some bitch, bitch about the smell of fuel.....not to mention for ourselve as well. If we run into an issue with the stock cats, we will go high flow. Trying to keep it quiet,...and sleeper as possible when the hood is closed. No need to advertise. Can't wait for the unsuspecting 600's going bye bye.

The car NA has gone 12's on street tires(not drag radials or roadrace tires,..) with a FAST, cold air filter, and a Diablosport predator tune back to back to back. It's gonna be alot of fun with the turbos. We also picked up a used borla system were gonna try out and see if it works well or not.

Either way, it's a cool project...one with affordability in mind,...not mention having alot of fun planning and plotting out the idea. Only thing left to figure out for sure is, fuel pump, intank or inline,....and intercooler location/configuration more like. Already have a boost gage, autometer lunar silver face I think... that I had that were gonna mount in center console.

More pics to arrive shortly.

Passengers side tacked up

Last edited by V-seriesTech; 07-17-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks pretty good dude. I hope that radiator is up for the job!
Old 07-17-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DoctorNick

Thanks man. We're gonna go with a custom, shorter, thicker radiator. Were gonna do a not the norm intercooler setup as well. So, it should be effiecent.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

man, that looks great, looks like you have plenty of room for the dp's...how big can you run? Im guessing you have to put the battery in the trunk, and what about the spark plugs...do you have to run a relocateed bracket and longer wires?
Old 07-17-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctorNick
The GTO's have a nice size factory radiator with better airflow than the F-bodies ever had. I doubt he will have a problem.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ttranssam
man, that looks great, looks like you have plenty of room for the dp's...how big can you run? Im guessing you have to put the battery in the trunk, and what about the spark plugs...do you have to run a relocateed bracket and longer wires?

I'm really happy myself with how its looking. Your right, Hey did an awesome job setting the down pipes. I think we're keeping this thing as near stock as possble, and since the outlets for the turbos are 2 1/2", and so is the stock diameter exhuast(so is the borla catback we'll be using)....we'll probably just keep it that route until the car would need a bigger motor, and larger exhaust housings should we ever be that deep into it.

Things we learned:

Need to relocate brake line block.
relocate battery. Already have a box for that, need the wires.
and we'll probably steal an idea or two from my vette for spark plug reloaction for this design.

Down pipes are next,...then the intercooler process needs to begin. We wana go with a left and right inlet setup,..top outlet, direct throught the maf to the TB.

We realize alot comes into play here,...so, we are thinking or planing on chagnging radiator deck heigth or changing it all together, possibly shorter, but much thicker, meaning we'd probably have to change the cooling fan setup as well.

It's a work in progress. U need to remove the front bumper so we can map out intercooler. To give you an idea, we like the aps style FBODY intercooler setup.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gametech
The GTO's have a nice size factory radiator with better airflow than the F-bodies ever had. I doubt he will have a problem.

Good to know,..we;ll probably change the stat. Only reason we'd change the radiator, is for the sheer reason we're gonna try to bring the outlet directly out te top of the intercooler. The frame rail is in the way,..hood latch, and basically the radiator. Trying to save money but, it's all about efficency, and being different. We think it be the smoothest transition with less bends.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a link to a build that just went on using Corvette C6 manifolds and a couple of Precision 6265's.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306543
Old 07-18-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

fantastic job man. Awesome. We actually had plans to use the C6 manifolds as well but a friend of ours needed them much more then we did, so I gave them away, as I had no choice. We know a fabricator well, right next door,...so, our other option was simple, custom.

Looks great man. Any numbers on it yet?
Old 07-18-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
fantastic job man. Awesome. We actually had plans to use the C6 manifolds as well but a friend of ours needed them much more then we did, so I gave them away, as I had no choice. We know a fabricator well, right next door,...so, our other option was simple, custom.

Looks great man. Any numbers on it yet?
That's not my car. I'm doing the same thing though. To the best of my knowledge that guys car is done and he is having startup issues with the tune.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

well that sucks hes having trouble.

Found this a few minutes ago...

http://www.need2speed.com/vb_forums/...ad.php?t=41954
Old 07-18-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
well that sucks hes having trouble.

Found this a few minutes ago...

http://www.need2speed.com/vb_forums/...ad.php?t=41954
That's Mick's car(TrakDay on LS1gto.com). He actually thinking of selling it or possibly parting it out. It doesn't go fast enough for him, lol. Twin GT42's on a 402= NASTY. I think he's gone 9.0 on 14lbs of boost.

Last edited by TurboAv; 07-18-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wow, only 14 pounds. If he tired of 9.0's...lol.... why not 22psi and going mid 8's

Either way, cool build. But a race car no doubt
Old 07-21-2009, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Hey bud, so what was the deciding factor for you to go with the fast intake? Is it a 92? I have the car in sig and have been thinking about getting a fast but can't seem to find out if it will be worth it or not?!? Thanks
Old 07-21-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 68birdls1
Hey bud, so what was the deciding factor for you to go with the fast intake? Is it a 92? I have the car in sig and have been thinking about getting a fast but can't seem to find out if it will be worth it or not?!? Thanks
Yes sir I do. When compaired to a stock LS2 manifold, I without a doubt believe it to be a better piece, which happens to be a FAST 90, not the new 92. The 90 woke the car up alot, very noticeable naturally aspirated. Were not gonna be running 20+ pounds on it either, so were not worried about blowing one apart.

Again, I do recommend the fast(90mm)'s,I have no experience with the 92's or 102's.

Do it to it.

Now, after I realize I just threw a sales pitch at you,...I didn't think of it at the time but, I do have a FAST 90mm intake for sale. It actually has the wilson burst panels installed in them, to prevent blowing up the manifold from a nitrous backfire or a major boost issue. If your interested, cool, if you want the 92,..cool. No pressure cause I can easily sell it locally if I get off my ***.

Cheers man.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:55 PM
11 Second Club

Sending you a pm
Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 68birdls1
Sending you a pm
cool deal
Old 07-23-2009, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

looks sweet. the engine bay is looking a little tight
Old 07-23-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm just finishing up mounting the Passenger side of my GTO TT setup. I used truck mani's and I also remounted my radiator to a tilt. opens up all kinds of room in the front area. I was able to move the ac vertical as well as all the lines without cutting anything. If you'd like, I can take a couple of pics for you? Just let me know.
good work.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlwnLs1GTO
I'm just finishing up mounting the Passenger side of my GTO TT setup. I used truck mani's and I also remounted my radiator to a tilt. opens up all kinds of room in the front area. I was able to move the ac vertical as well as all the lines without cutting anything. If you'd like, I can take a couple of pics for you? Just let me know.
good work.
I would like to see that. I'm doing a twin build on my GTO as well.

Quick Reply: Custom made turbo kit for GTO.