Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Oil in the clutch...!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in the clutch...!

Ok well I thought my clutch was going out as it was slipping pretty bad but i didnt smell any burning.(also it starting out of no where) So i took the car to the shop and they tell me that as I have a rear-main leak some how i have gotten oil into the clutch and that is keeping the clutch from grabbing. I have known about the leak for a while but it was never really that bad... So I just need to know what the next step is. And i know many people with the same leak and never have problems with their cluches.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ws6onSLICKS
Ok well I thought my clutch was going out as it was slipping pretty bad but i didnt smell any burning.(also it starting out of no where) So i took the car to the shop and they tell me that as I have a rear-main leak some how i have gotten oil into the clutch and that is keeping the clutch from grabbing. I have known about the leak for a while but it was never really that bad... So I just need to know what the next step is. And i know many people with the same leak and never have problems with their cluches.
Over time, this is always the result with a leaking rear main and a clutch. The only cure is a new seal and a new clutch (at least the disc part of it).
Old 07-17-2009, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the crank freeze plug go out on my car a month after installing my LS7 clutch. It wasn't my rear main. It got oil on the clutch surface. I just took it all apart and replaced that plug. While it was out I sprayed the clutch down with brake cleaner a few times and let it dry. Put it back together. I figured I would try that and if it didn't work get another clutch. Well that same clutch is still in my car 2 years later and running strong with my turbo's. I caught the problem early and did not drive a ton on it with the oil leaking. This may not work for you if it has gotten soaked over time. It will have absorbed a lot of oil and the friction properties will be all messed up.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:58 PM
12 Second Club

My 2 cents is pretty much as above posted and that is take it back out, replace rear main and clean the disc with a good amount of brake cleaner. Let it dry and then spray it again with cleaner. Pay attention to the run off and see if it has oil in it. if so repeat. Get it good and clean and re-install. it will either hold or not. But a little work and brake cleaner MAY save you a good bit of money.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

alright well thanks guys. Im just not in the mood for going about this oil leak but i guess theres no way around it.

I had the crank freeze plug go out on my car a month after installing my LS7 clutch. It wasn't my rear main. It got oil on the clutch surface. I just took it all apart and replaced that plug. While it was out I sprayed the clutch down with brake cleaner a few times and let it dry. Put it back together. I figured I would try that and if it didn't work get another clutch. Well that same clutch is still in my car 2 years later and running strong with my turbo's. I caught the problem early and did not drive a ton on it with the oil leaking. This may not work for you if it has gotten soaked over time. It will have absorbed a lot of oil and the friction properties will be all messed up.
Hey Hugger, I appreciate you input, but how much hp are you making with your turbos and how well is your ls7 clutch handling it? and what is this crank freeze plug you are talking about?
Old 07-20-2009, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ws6onSLICKS
alright well thanks guys. Im just not in the mood for going about this oil leak but i guess theres no way around it.

Hey Hugger, I appreciate you input, but how much hp are you making with your turbos and how well is your ls7 clutch handling it? and what is this crank freeze plug you are talking about?
I put down 538rwhp last month at a dyno challenge. And yes the clutch has been handling it fine. I have been to the track, taken it on roadtrips, etc. No problems. I did not launch too high at the track though as I couldn't get much traction so that may have helped it not have problems. I hotlapped 8 passes one day.

Our crankshafts are gundrilled. So there is a metal freeze plug that installs on the back of the crank. That is why they say to NOT use the grease method to push your bushing or bearing out of the crank. If you do you will push the freeze plug in and open that right up. If that happens, gonna have to drop the oil pan to get it out and then replace it. I used a puller to get my bearing out and then borrowed a screw type end fitting for a slidehammer to get my old freeze plug out. Popped the new one back in with some sealer and all is well.

Last edited by Hugger Z; 07-23-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks hugger, I am glad to hear your success with the ls7 as I am in the middle of installing one as we speak. Also I appreciate the useful info about the freeze plug.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

Happy to help. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Oil in the clutch...!