Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duals to Y and catback options

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duals to Y and catback options

Well the time has come and I am in need to changing my duals out for a ORY and some sort of catback system. Ive been looking at sponsors are other peoples posts but I have yet to find what I am looking for.

The car has Jet hot long tubes on it, very similar to the pacesetters IIRC. So for an ORY I was looking at the TSP. Now from the ORY is where I am having an issue. Will a 3 inch ORY be enough to accommodate a 420 rwhp car, and I also spray 150 shot on top of this at the track. Also to add to the equation the car is lowered and yes the 2.5" duals scrap a ton lol... so im not sure if a 4 inch is a viable solution or not

For a catback system I am looking to stick with a simple 3-4 inch pipe to a sweet thunder or equivalent muffler then either dumped before the axle or a single pipe over the axle and angled down to the ground ( no tips ). Am I going to be better off building my own or does anyone have one they purchased from somewhere I have yet to find?

Thanks for the help guys
Old 07-17-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

just found this in one of the stickies

A 2.75” (stock) single system is good for a 310hp engine with zero loss…
A 3” Single system is good for a 370hp engine with zero loss…
A 3.5” Single system is good for a 503hp engine with zero loss…
A 4” Single system is good for a 657hp engine with zero loss…
A 2.25” dual system is good for a 457hp engine with zero loss…
A 2.5” dual system is good for a 513hp engine with zero loss…
A 3” dual system is good for a 812hp engine with zero loss…

So in effort of saving some cash and not buying a cut out it looks like either a 3.5 inch or a 4 inch setup is going to be what I need.

Now will having larger exhaust than 3" past the ORY ( given the ORY merges to a 3" ) do any good? Or should I be looking for an ORY that has an 4 inch merger?
Old 07-17-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

more reading and some understanding

It sounds like to get a Y-pipe with a 4 inch merger you will need to just buy whatever one fits your headers ( TSP for me ) and cut out the existing merger. Then purchase a flowmaster marger 3 inch to 3.5-4 inch depending on application ( 4 inch for me ). Find someone to fab this stuff up then finish out your exhaust however you want...

Man I wish one of our sponsors made one of these already haha.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You could put a couple of Magnaflow stainless steel bullet mufflers (3" in/out, 4" diameter, 14" case. 20" overall length, pt# 14419) put one in each side of the Y-pipe, then straight pipe and a turn down, dumped before the axle.
This way If you want to run a 4" merger and 4" pipe back to a 4" turndown it'll all tuck up good!
The only down side you would lose 1/2" ground clearance where you mount the mufflers in the Y pipe.