Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard to start after replacing Y pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hard to start after replacing Y pipe

Everything was perfect untill my 02 camaro's Y pipe got hooked on a snag and the drivers side of the Y was pulled completely off the header! The Y was custom pre-fabricated by the exhaust shop as a replacement. The car cranks up no problem after sitting all night but if I drive it a little aggressively....the car will be hard to start and even die at a red light!!! I've done cam swaps before the computer usually learns things pretty fast. The scan guage says no codes are present. If I drive the car easy, it cranks up right away every time....but if I drive it agressive and not even full tilt it doesn't want to crank at first attempt. Then it may die after idleing.

Your suggestions as to what should be checked would be appreciated.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Maybe the O2 sensor was snagged as well. Did you check it?

It sounds like my friends car after we did a complete exhaust swap, as it would die sometimes at stop lights and difficult to start after runnning it a while. Until the computer learned the change. It took about a week under normal cruising. I would check the O2 for frayed or broken wires.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

I reset the PCM by taking the positive wire off the battery and removing the two wiring connectors on the PCM. Let it sit for about 10 mins. Reconnected everything and the car is back to normal. I romp on it some then come to a stop and turn the car off. It cranks up beautifully now. I'll take it for a much longer drive this after noon and if it acts up...I'll let you know. But for now this seems to be the cure!