Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating

I have a 2001 Camaro SS. I have been the only owner of the vehicle, and I have seen it at it's worst. The car has overheated several times through it's life. I have changed parts in the past which did correct the problem for the particular moment. The SS has overheated about 5 times randomly throughout the past four months. At first, It would start to get hot while driving on I-35. The heater on full blast would always cool it down. I have changed out my THERMOSTAT, RADIATOR, HOSES, and FLUID. The car is not leaking anywhere. My FANS do work and turn on and off with no problems. I believe that the problem is getting worse, because it will now heat up while the heater is on full blast. I hooked up my car to a scanner and it would read at about 225 while my gauge was reading at 210. The gauge DOES WORK and will increase, but there is a delay. That means that my car has probably got hotter than I would of thought as well as faster. I am told over and over that it is probably a head gasket. I am also told that on LS1's they usually throw head gaskets when there is a warped block or head which has been caused by overheating. Apparently, a block test was done by a friend of a friend and he is sure that it is my head gasket. There is no smoke or smells coming from the car. All fluid levels have been holding up just fine.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

So did you answer your own question? Also, not building up pressure will cause a car to overheat. No circulation. I guess you could check to see if both upper and lower hoses were hot (same temp or so) when the car is overheating.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:55 PM
Launching!

You've never replaced your water pump. Idk what the life on a factory water pump is. I've seen impellers come loose from the water pump shaft and not circulate coolant properly.

Do these cars have coolant temp sensors? That's worth a shot. A part that cheap couldn't hurt to try.

Also, I think a blown head gasket would be pretty damn noticable. I've never driven a car that had a blown head gasket and it didn't run like *** right when you started it.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you had a blown head gasket you would be having alot more problems than overheating
Old 07-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

Did you get your radiator cap checked or replaced?
Old 07-18-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Ya man, your car seemed to be driving fine yesterday, I really dont think its a blown headgasket man.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FireHawk178
Did you get your radiator cap checked or replaced?
That would be my suggestion ...