Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Is there anyway to prevent Anodized(black) Fikse FM5s, from turning purple?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is there anyway to prevent Anodized(black) Fikse FM5s, from turning purple?

Any ideas to prevent this are appreciated.

Thanks
Patrick.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not that I've heard of. The best way would be to just take them apart and have the center powder coated black. Thats what Crager did on his.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
Not that I've heard of. The best way would be to just take them apart and have the center powder coated black. Thats what Crager did on his.
Were his anodized?
Old 07-18-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I've seen various anodized centers sort of turn purple from the heat not just Fikse wheels. It would be cheaper to unbolt the centers and have them powder coated and you don't have to worry about them changing color. Just as an example I paid $45 per center to have my Classics powder coated.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't know I think eventually they will turn purple again but I could be wrong. If they have some kind of warranty and the only thing you pay is shipping then that's not a bad deal. With my wheels I just unbolted the centers on my own and had them powder coated.

When they did my polished wheels they sand blasted or bead blasted them to help the powder coat adhere better. I'm assuming the same would be done with a anodized wheel. When I had my Weld Magnums those had gold anodized centers and I had them done at a different shop and they powder coated right over the anodizing without doing anything to it. Never had any problems with cracking/peeling. The only reason I knew they hadn't done anything to the anodizing was because I had to sand down the perimeter of the center with a dremel because it was a slightly tight fit to get them back into the barrel. This last place I went to masked off those areas to prevent me from having to do that on the Classics.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
I don't know I think eventually they will turn purple again but I could be wrong. If they have some kind of warranty and the only thing you pay is shipping then that's not a bad deal. With my wheels I just unbolted the centers on my own and had them powder coated.

When they did my polished wheels they sand blasted or bead blasted them to help the powder coat adhere better. I'm assuming the same would be done with a anodized wheel. When I had my Weld Magnums those had gold anodized centers and I had them done at a different shop and they powder coated right over the anodizing without doing anything to it. Never had any problems with cracking/peeling. The only reason I knew they hadn't done anything to the anodizing was because I had to sand down the perimeter of the center with a dremel because it was a slightly tight fit to get them back into the barrel. This last place I went to masked off those areas to prevent me from having to do that on the Classics.
I have to pay shipping both ways...and I'm not sure if the charge actual shipping or theres some fees. Because they'll be shipped through discount tire...How much did it cost to do the sandblasting? I wouldnt have a problem getting the anodize done again, but I would hate for them to turn purple again. I checked, and Fikse charges $200 per wheel to re anodize a wheel thats not warrantied.

Edit...The guy I bought them from said that 4 months after he first bought them, they turned purple. And he returned them to get them redone. But that just shows, they may turn purple again fairly quickly after I get them redone.

I dont think anodized wheels should even be offered if theres no way to prevent them from turning purple on a daily driven car.

Last edited by Donohue96M6Z28; 07-18-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Junkie

The problem with anodized wheels, is that the 'black' is dyed/stained on to the wheel, so Im not sure if a sandblasting would be able to actually take that off? I'm going to assume that a sandblasting wouldnt do anything at all, but I may be thinking about it wrong.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've sanded anodized parts before and it comes off with some elbow grease. If you were to go the powder coat route when they prep it for powder coat even if the sandblasting or beadblasting didn't take off all the anodizing it would give it a nice surface for the powder coat to "stick" to. However, like I mentioned I have had anodized centers that were powder coated right on top of the anodizing and nothing ever happened.

I would suggest you PM Sean "silverghost" and see what he says about powder coating the centers, plus he has a discount going right now I think.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...owder-pro.html

I know that anodizing creates a very tough finish due to it bonding with the aluminum but if it is going to continue to turn purple I would go the powder coating route. Plus you can avoid having to ship four wheels back and forth to Fikse and just ship your centers to the powder coater of your preference.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
I've sanded anodized parts before and it comes off with some elbow grease. If you were to go the powder coat route when they prep it for powder coat even if the sandblasting or beadblasting didn't take off all the anodizing it would give it a nice surface for the powder coat to "stick" to. However, like I mentioned I have had anodized centers that were powder coated right on top of the anodizing and nothing ever happened.

I would suggest you PM Sean "silverghost" and see what he says about powder coating the centers, plus he has a discount going right now I think.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...owder-pro.html

I know that anodizing creates a very tough finish due to it bonding with the aluminum but if it is going to continue to turn purple I would go the powder coating route. Plus you can avoid having to ship four wheels back and forth to Fikse and just ship your centers to the powder coater of your preference.

Ya, I think I'm going to go the powdercoating route...

How much more did it cost to sandblast your polished wheels before the powdercoating?

I appreciate all the info man.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
Ya, I think I'm going to go the powdercoating route...

How much more did it cost to sandblast your polished wheels before the powdercoating?

I appreciate all the info man.
There isn't any additional charge it was a part of the standard prep.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:14 AM
TECH Addict

Like they are saying. Just take the centers apart and have them powder coated.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Customizing Director

Were his anodized?
Yes they were. Not sure if he stripped it off or just powdered on top of it.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
Yes they were. Not sure if he stripped it off or just powdered on top of it.
I PMed him the other day, and he said that his were anodized. They turned purple, he sent them back to get redone. And now they're purple again. He said he hasnt powdercoated them yet.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Customizing Director

I PMed him the other day, and he said that his were anodized. They turned purple, he sent them back to get redone. And now they're purple again. He said he hasnt powdercoated them yet.
Hmm I could have sworn he got them done. Guess I just got mixed up with what Tony told me when I was going to get a set.He was the one that let me know about the purple-ness.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:46 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

All black anodizing is actually purple, just several coats of purple to make it become black. The sun will fade it over time. Get them powdercoated.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:26 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Lightbulb

Mine were never powdercoated...yet. They turned purple pretty bad and MTI shipped them off to Fikse and they reanodized them. They came back pretty good, almost as black as my center caps, and they're slowly turning purple again.

When I do decide enough is enough I'll have Sean (SilverGhost) powdercoat them black.

~ Craig

Quick Reply: Is there anyway to prevent Anodized(black) Fikse FM5s, from turning purple?