Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Saw the shift light in 5th this morning !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Saw the shift light in 5th this morning !!!! (201 mph) Need more revs LOL

Just for reference purposes the rear tires are Michelin PS2's 295 35r18's and I have a 3.42 gear. Nice clear expressway, very cool for this time of year 55* air and I feel like seeing what the Vengeance Racing setup (see sig) will do. 4 lanes wide, no cars (630ish AM) and I am running late for work as usual so what the hell ?!? I am in 5th gear and for the first time got to wind it out enough to see the shift light flash which is set at 6400 rpms !!! I stayed in it a split second after the flash then let out, I was running out of room. The Wilwood SL-6 front brakes did there job !!! I just wish I had another mile to have stayed in it and also more time to slow. That was a bit close for me. Gonna have to do it again just start the run a little earlier.

I already did the math so I have a good idea how fast I was going (we all know how inaccurate the speedo could be), just wanted to share the run I did. Just wondering what everyone thought? She performs so much better in the taller gears then my old h/c 346. The 346 would still wind out 5th but just took so much longer to do so. All I can say is GOT VENGEANCE ?

Sorry for not having video, but in my defense I was on my way to work. Didn't really plan this, the oppurtunity just happened. Maybe next time !!

***** High Speed Testing Done in Mexico *****

Link to what was done to make this car do what it does !!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...s-results.html

Last edited by allngn_c5; 07-22-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I miss taking the highway to work
Old 07-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

allngn:

Dude...Are you a cop? Does that help you when you get pulled over if you're going that fast? Because the PA State boys would calmly exclaim, "Step out of the car and put your hands on top of your head," if they caught you going that fast....!
Old 07-18-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Would they even chase?

Last edited by allngn_c5; 07-19-2009 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rossi396
allngn:

Dude...Are you a cop? Does that help you when you get pulled over if you're going that fast? Because the PA State boys would calmly exclaim, "Step out of the car and put your hands on top of your head," if they caught you going that fast....!
No need to discuss specific's on this topic.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
No need to discuss specific's on this topic.
+1 brother.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
I already did the math so I have a good idea how fast I was going (we all know how inaccurate the speedo could be)
I wasn't aware that the speedo was that inaccurate. How much do you think they are normally off by and does the innacuracy rise with speed?

Just to clarify, so you basically took the car to its top speed since 6th is an overdrive gear and can't be used to achieve top speed with stock tranny gearing?
Old 07-18-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

It is too bad that the responses to "top of 5th" are not half as clever as allngn's description. We can all do without the comments about speeding or cops. There is enough hand wringing in this country as it is. Kudos to you and vengeance. I wish I could get my 403 to those guys to tune...Idaho is really a long way.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Story made me smile, sometimes everything is just right to do something like that but I really hate when someone is doing it in traffic and no I'm not a cop lol. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Banned

This thread delivers, on corvetteforum it would be locked up on Death Rowe.

Nice "quickie" run... Life is very short, as long as you feel everything was kosher then I'm glad to read.

Lord knows I've seen the top of 5th a couple times.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:37 AM
Launching!

good read bro!
Old 07-19-2009, 06:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SlowFRC
I wasn't aware that the speedo was that inaccurate. How much do you think they are normally off by and does the innacuracy rise with speed?

Just to clarify, so you basically took the car to its top speed since 6th is an overdrive gear and can't be used to achieve top speed with stock tranny gearing?
I actually don't know that it is off. I was just putting it out there like that because the last time I posted a high speed run when I had a pretty aggressive h/c pkg in my old 346 I had to endure the you weren't going that fast comment after comment most likely because people didn't or don't believe an h/c N/A 346 could do it. Well it did do it, just took awhile to get up there. The h/c 402 I got now was begging for more. At any rate you can always do the math. My shift light comes on at 6400, and the rev limiter is set at 6800.

A little update, I love driving to work on a Sunday morning. No cars, cool air again (57*'s, very unique for July) and I tried it in my other spot, a little earlier in my commute to work. I had a good extra mile for the purpose of finishing the 5th gear top speed test, and then safely slowing down. Well I saw the shift light flash on and then go off but this time I stayed in it until I saw 201 (6600+ rpms) in the HUD. At that point I let out and just coasted for a second or two since I had the room. WHAT A RUSH !!

Would anyone like to ride with me to work so we can get a video ???

Too everyone else that posted a POSITIVE comment, thank you very much for not coming on here and bashing me. I realize that what I did was not the smartest, but it was done in the name of letting everyone know what a mild H/C full bolt on 402 tuned by Vengeance Racing can do. I think I'd really like to upgrade in the future to a built c5 zo6 MN12 tranny. Better gearing for acceleration, and does anyone know if 6th gear would be usable at my power level (see sig) ?? I really don't think I need anymore power, but then again I always have a stick in the fire. Got something working, but nothing has come of it yet. When it does I will post up for sure. Thanks for reading my rambles and keep the positive comments coming !!!
Old 07-19-2009, 06:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SlowFRC
I have pushed 6th gear to 170 mph so far and she was still accelerating when I had to let out due to lack of straight away. I would like to know how much further she can push 6th, probably not much since the acceleration was quite slow, but still accelerating.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah 6th gear is more of a crusing. coasting speed. YOu Could accelerate but not hard enough unless the power level was way up there. Powershift 6th, see what happens. It won't pull too hard.

Now,the C6 ZR1 trans,....that, is a useable 6th gear. Thats what you want. That trans and torque tube or gear ratio,...that diff and the cradle and lower control arms.

Nice run this morning.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks J !! I don't think I'll be picking up that expensive mod anytime soon.

What do you think about my power level and a built c5zo6 trans ??

Would kill 2 birds with one stone. Would let me accelerate harder in all gears except 4th, and would let me keep my DTE stg III rear (3.42's) Also hopefully be able to use 6th gear....
Old 07-19-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

I dunno. If it was me,..i'd wack it with a hundred shot.

Other then that, I would leave the car alone for a minute. Enjoy it, like you've been wanting too. Get yourself some track time. See how low she can go with you behind the wheel. Most of all, have fun with it...you've not really enjoyed it lately, until now. So, save some loot,...then,...when your ready, buy something else.

I think a well built anything would be great in your car but,..you can get any gear ratio that you want really....for your power level. So,..ask yourself this, are you done adding power? If so, then buy the tranny with a gear ratio that'll suit that power level,..and enjoy it If your not done adding power, .figure out what thats gonna be, then build a tranny to handle that power level and also to make sure the gear is not too steep where 1st is un useable.

I am very happy with my long gears personally. Just take your time, and enjoy the car. You'll figure out what to do when the time comes pimpin.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

I hear ya man, but HP is addictive. I probably should leave the power chase alone for awhile, but as I hinted about I have a stick in the fire. Shhhh, not saying anything until its official.

If the power adder project falls through then I will still consider tightening up the handling. Coilovers and better sway bars along with a few other goodies are definately on the menu.

Thanks for your perspective on the tranny questions. I'd like a trans that is geared for 62 mph in first ! Also a 6th gear that is usable to 6400+ rpms. Anyways I'm starting to babble. Going to lunch, as always thanks for your opinions.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

Chucks:

The comment I made was not intended to cause any "hand wringing," at least not any more than an article with a title that says "I saw the shift light in 5th..." That has nothing to do with speeding? It was a really a comment about how fast the car was and a joke. If it was taken any other way, I'm sorry. Same to you allngn..The post wasn't meant to be negative in any way. If I could get away with it (and had a car to do so) I would!

Rossi

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
It is too bad that the responses to "top of 5th" are not half as clever as allngn's description. We can all do without the comments about speeding or cops. There is enough hand wringing in this country as it is. Kudos to you and vengeance. I wish I could get my 403 to those guys to tune...Idaho is really a long way.

Last edited by Rossi396; 07-19-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Banned

Accelerating in 6th gear is a death sentence for your transmission. The only one that can safely is the new 6060. It has substantial reinforcment where the 6th gear bearings are.

Unless you have a 6060, you should limit your top speed runs to 5th otherwise failure (possible death) and (if lucky) a rebuild will be on the short list.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

No offense taken Rossi !!!

Hey Joshua, thanks for putting the info out there. I couldn't remember.

I got a question though, easing into the throttle and then eventually going WOT I have been able to get 6th gear to 170. She was still pulling tooo. Don't think I'll do that again. Joshua, what about a level V c5zo6 tranny ?? What do you know about that?

Quick Reply: Saw the shift light in 5th this morning !!!!