Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding oil cooler...Where?

Old 07-18-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding oil cooler...Where?

My car is a bit of a hybrid and i need to choose oil cooler positions this weekend so i can order parts monday and have them installed by the end of the week. There is a track day event Mon. 27th. I NEED to have this oil cooler installed before then.

Which spot do i chose? I either need to mount the cooler horizontally above the engine in the wing...about 30'' away from engine block fittings about 24'' vertically from fittings. OR...

Mount it in the front of the car in front/on top of the radiator (10-11 feet each run...example-11 foot feed 10.5 foot return...18'' vertical rise to clear front wheel)

I talked to Louis @ LG about the front placement and he suggested -8 an lines if it was street driven and -10 an lines if it was to be tracked. He warned with the -10 an lines my oil pressure would most likely drop to 10 psi after hard driving @ idle. He also said he was unsure of the side effects of long runs since their longest run was only 4 ft.

The cooler has -12 inlet/outlet but the Earl's adapter thermostat i'm getting on monday has -10.

Both locations seem to be a good possibility. I just don't want to see 10 psi oil pressure ever.

I like the earls adapter since it has a T-stat built in the opens at 180*...

The car hasn't had any cooling issues before...but it's never run WOT for 20 mins.

Thanks for the suggestions guys,
Russell
Old 07-18-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

If I where you I'd take to Porsche. In front I would not because of the travel cycle of the coolant back to the engine and in back I would but I would personally mount bigger or stronger fans, meaning it will drain your battery(need a red top) or kill your alternator(need a better one).

Didn't the Porsche guys help you out...oh yeah like so many work on their cars...sorry needed to put in a little jab. good luck keep us posted.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02*C5
If I where you I'd take to Porsche. In front I would not because of the travel cycle of the coolant back to the engine and in back I would but I would personally mount bigger or stronger fans, meaning it will drain your battery(need a red top) or kill your alternator(need a better one).

Didn't the Porsche guys help you out...oh yeah like so many work on their cars...sorry needed to put in a little jab. good luck keep us posted.
I'd have to agree with the porsche guys not working on their cars!

This has been a long lonesome swap and i've learned from bad experiences not to let ANYONE work on this car.

Coolant? The radiator is already mounted up front and the oil cooler barely fits on top...but it fits. Meziere EWP pushes the coolant. Bigger stronger radiator fans? I NEED an oil cooler for road racing. Typical oil temps reach beyond 280* without it on track.

Thanks, Russ
Old 07-18-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by lazylongboarder
Bigger stronger radiator fans? I NEED an oil cooler for road racing. Typical oil temps reach beyond 280* without it on track.

Thanks, Russ
The right fans weather you are using them on a radiator or set them (ie double fans) or it (ie single fan) on the oil cooler will help draw more air through the fins and keep the oil temps down. You want as much air as you can pull through those fins.That's why when you put a new radiator with a new oil cooler, and external tranny cooler,(front engine mounted cars) it is advised to go to a bigger, stronger fan to draw more air through the fins, all 3 the oil, radiator, and tranny cooler.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If low oil pressure is a problem from the oil cooler installation you might consider adding an oil accumulator (Accusump). You would install it through a T-connection using a one-way check valve into to the oil cooler line. It would prevent pressure drops below a predetermined level.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Darkman
If low oil pressure is a problem from the oil cooler installation you might consider adding an oil accumulator (Accusump). You would install it through a T-connection using a one-way check valve into to the oil cooler line. It would prevent pressure drops below a predetermined level.
Already put in my order for the 3 qt

Originally Posted by 02*C5
The right fans weather you are using them on a radiator or set them (ie double fans) or it (ie single fan) on the oil cooler will help draw more air through the fins and keep the oil temps down. You want as much air as you can pull through those fins.That's why when you put a new radiator with a new oil cooler, and external tranny cooler,(front engine mounted cars) it is advised to go to a bigger, stronger fan to draw more air through the fins, all 3 the oil, radiator, and tranny cooler.
The fans would definitely help. I agree. I was confused at what you were getting at with your first post you mentioned "bigger stronger fans" after talking about coolant flow, I just didn't know you were talking about putting fans on the oil cooler. I'd have to switch to a differant intake if i wanted to put some fans on it. I think it'll be fine without them for now.

If not i might have to get the ARE 4 stage dry sump pump, crank up the psi and mount the cooler up front. To bad the budget won't allow dry sump oiling yet.

Thanks guys

Search this Thread