View Full Version : looking for help in Alaska

Robs99TA
07-19-2009, 03:22 AM
I am looking to see if anyone may know of someone in Alaska that I could talk with for help on my 99 TA. I am going to need a tune and some advice on various other things. I have found it really hard finding someone to help out in the great state of Alaska:bang:. Thank you very much.

Frozen WS6
07-21-2009, 11:37 PM
What all are you planning on doing to it. I am also the founder of our local late model club. I'm doing some tuning and we have guys that will definately help you out. I'm out in Eagle River and work in Anchorage.

XLR8N
07-23-2009, 10:53 AM
theres are a few guys that can help you up there but most are gone on deployment along with myself. ol frozens' pretty good about helping out. what are you looking at doing to your car?

Robs99TA
07-24-2009, 04:28 AM
I am currently depolyed myself :eek2:I am wanting to put a head and cam package in with headers, gears and the normal upgrades. I will order a tune if I have to but would rather not. I am on ft Richardson as well

XLR8N
07-24-2009, 08:52 AM
no need to order a tune. what heads/cam are you trying to go with? give us some specs on your car and your goals, we can set you up pretty good when we get back. what battalion are you in? im over in the cav.

Robs99TA
07-24-2009, 11:46 PM
I am with PFAR in the FSC. I want to go with the 228/228 588/588 cam I am going to use the stock heads just going to port them. will be useing a 3000 stall. I would like to be running 11s. this kit should make about 420 RWHP. what kind of setups are you all running.

Frozen WS6
07-25-2009, 10:02 AM
All show. Other then the k&n, battery and cat back I have Gm part numbers on everything for now. I have some spray that may go on. Long tubes one day. It won't get to much more it's my street car, not raced and I'd like to keep it passing the Im crap. I wish it was an auto. I'm still not happy with any clutch I put in it. This LS7 is the best street clutch so far. I'm buying a 9 or 10 second bird to track some.
I've always been better at drag suspension setups. Xel you lost me on the tune off specs part.
You should make sure to get a wideband. I still need to get mine that's why I havn't gotten to carried away trying to tune my car yet.

Compstall
08-01-2009, 04:04 AM
I met a Reservist up at Kulis last year that has a nicely built daily driver 1/2 ton Chevy (heads, cam, blower, N20), but he said that shop that built his truck there in Anchorage went out of business unfortunately. Since Anchorage isn't all that big, you guys up there would recognize it if you saw it - all black single cab, lowered, with a big fat "P.O.W." sticker on the back.

Frozen WS6
08-01-2009, 09:03 AM
I know that truck. It use to run around out here in EagleRiver. I talked to the guy when he was at the track and when he was selling it. It use to have a canopy on it. If I remember right the guy at Kulis bought it. Or had one built to copy the guy I talked to.

XLR8N
08-01-2009, 01:02 PM
ive seen a truck like that but it was an ss silverado with an sts kit on it, camper shell and everything. it didnt run like it shouldve though.

so whats up with this firebird your getting frozen?

Frozen WS6
08-03-2009, 09:13 AM
so whats up with this firebird your getting frozen?

Here's the deal. One of two things will happen in the next year and a half or so. I will get a 9 or low 10 second bird, since the market still hasn't hit bottom.
Or I'll finish wasting my time with this shit 6 speed junk. 3 clutches in less then 15,000 miles. I replaced everything that has to do with the clutch so I know there is NO problems there. When alls I do is drive it. Convert to a turbo 350. If that happens... Then it will become the nastiest WS6 in the state. I'll send it to a friends shop in vegas and when I get it back... Well I guess you'll have to come back to visit and go for that ride. If the second happens it's going to take a couple of years to put together but I'll figure that out when the time comes.
Side not there are two Dick Herrell cars in town now. This guy owns both. One Yellow ZL1 car and a Red phase 3X car number 8. I drooled on the red one yesterday at the show n shine.

Robs99TA
08-09-2009, 01:04 AM
It sounds like there are more of us in the state than I thought. I am trying to for an 11 sec car. We will see how this all works out. I have a plan just need to make it happen. What kind of times are you guys running. I am going to try to make it out to the track in September when I am home on R&R. I am hoping to run high 12's this fall and 11's next summer. I am looking forward to see what you all are running and the setup you have. Where do you guys get most of your parts from and is there any place in Anchorage. Thank you

Frozen WS6
08-09-2009, 09:25 AM
It sounds like there are more of us in the state than I thought. I am trying to for an 11 sec car. We will see how this all works out. I have a plan just need to make it happen. What kind of times are you guys running. I am going to try to make it out to the track in September when I am home on R&R. I am hoping to run high 12's this fall and 11's next summer. I am looking forward to see what you all are running and the setup you have. Where do you guys get most of your parts from and is there any place in Anchorage. Thank you

I would say there is a handful of us that know a few things about building and tuning these. XLR8N has put together some pretty good combos. As far as parts, I order all my parts from out of state. Yeah I got alot of money tied up in shipping, but I got exactly what I wanted. Most of the shops try to talk the talk, but don't know much about the LS stuff. With the right cam and spray you'll run 11's all day. You going NA, Boost, or Spray?
Times. I'm a retired street, drag racer. My car went down the track once with a really bad clutch. I like building really fast street cars now. I usually have one day of time slips just for my records.

Robs99TA
08-09-2009, 09:57 AM
I plan on going N/A. I have alot to learn myself so I wont talk to much Sh!! yet. I was planning on useing the 228R cam with a set of 373's and a 3200 stalland M/T DR. now the heads I might just P&P the ones that I have I have been told I can get some pretty good numbers from them. then the normal mods like headers exhaust shift kit.I am still trying to find a good deal on a
LS6 intake. My only real concern is I no that a good tune will make or break me and I have no idea what I am doing in that aspect. :bang:

Frozen WS6
08-10-2009, 10:28 PM
There are a few of us you can learn alot from. I'm still learning new things. Feel free to ask away if I don't have the answer XLR8N probably does. If he doesn't we can def find out. We can get you tuned. Thats not a problem, I'm not as fast as XLR8N is with tuning, but I can do it.. You going to run a 28" tire then? That will get your mph up alittle.

Robs99TA
08-11-2009, 12:07 AM
I think I am going to run 28's I have to look and see I might be able to get away with 410's with those tires. well I well deffently take you up on the help with the tune. Do you recommend any one in anchorage to P&P my heads or do you think I should go and do it my self. I have a good idea on how it is done just never done it.

Frozen WS6
08-11-2009, 12:14 AM
You can go to anchorage drag bike (ADB). They do decent work and can flow bench it also. There expensive but if you want to stay in state there the only ones. I have efilive. XLR8N uses hp tuners.

jmill96Z
08-23-2009, 06:41 PM
I think I am going to run 28's I have to look and see I might be able to get away with 410's with those tires. well I well deffently take you up on the help with the tune. Do you recommend any one in anchorage to P&P my heads or do you think I should go and do it my self. I have a good idea on how it is done just never done it.

ADB has gotten me out of a couple tight spots, but like Frozen said, you're gonna pay for it. There are good proven CNC'd heads out there for cheaper than what ADB will charge you.

When you get back up here I'll be long gone, but make sure you get with these guys. They know what's going on with this stuff, and have been helping me with my junk for a couple years.

XLR8N
08-24-2009, 09:33 AM
as far as porting your own heads there is actually a lot more than just opening up the ports, you have to remove from the right areas and and dont touch certain ones. there is also alot in the valve job that will get you some good gains as well. but if you dont have easy access to a flow bench your just wasting your time. like j millz said you can get into a set of good cnc heads for a lot cheaper than anyone in alaska can port them for. also the 241 heads arent really all that good, i would look for some ls6/243 heads that have a good cnc program done on them.
honestly if your just going for 11's then you shouldnt need heads or spray. a good cam, stall, gears, intake, bolt ons and sticky tires will get you there easily. just make sure they are matched and will compliment each other. if i was shooting for 11's this is the a round about of what i would do. 4.10s, 36-3800 stall, cooler, shift kit, headers, a good exhaust, ls6 intake, a cam somewhere in the low 230 range and around 590-600 lift on a 112 lsa on a mild lobe design, good springs, hd push rods, a ported oil pump, a set of subframes, lower control arms, a good torque arm and some sticky tires. and depending on your duty cycle for your injectors a fuel pump and injectors. with all that i bet it would get you in the mid to low 11's. if you shop around to get some good prices you can get all of that for about 4500 or so.

so hows the car coming along jeremy? hope you get everything sorted before you head back to the real world. any new times yet? oh, i'm getting carters truck now so ill be rolling pretty good, haha. are my parts still sitting at your place? ill get someone to head over and get them if they still are . . . . when are you guys thinking about heading out?

jmill96Z
08-24-2009, 09:47 AM
as far as porting your own heads there is actually a lot more than just opening up the ports, you have to remove from the right areas and and dont touch certain ones. there is also alot in the valve job that will get you some good gains as well. but if you dont have easy access to a flow bench your just wasting your time. like j millz said you can get into a set of good cnc heads for a lot cheaper than anyone in alaska can port them for. also the 241 heads arent really all that good, i would look for some ls6/243 heads that have a good cnc program done on them.
honestly if your just going for 11's then you shouldnt need heads or spray. a good cam, stall, gears, intake, bolt ons and sticky tires will get you there easily. just make sure they are matched and will compliment each other. if i was shooting for 11's this is the a round about of what i would do. 4.10s, 36-3800 stall, cooler, shift kit, headers, a good exhaust, ls6 intake, a cam somewhere in the low 230 range and around 590-600 lift on a 112 lsa on a mild lobe design, good springs, hd push rods, a ported oil pump, a set of subframes, lower control arms, a good torque arm and some sticky tires. and depending on your duty cycle for your injectors a fuel pump and injectors. with all that i bet it would get you in the mid to low 11's. if you shop around to get some good prices you can get all of that for about 4500 or so.

so hows the car coming along jeremy? hope you get everything sorted before you head back to the real world. any new times yet? oh, i'm getting carters truck now so ill be rolling pretty good, haha. are my parts still sitting at your place? ill get someone to head over and get them if they still are . . . . when are you guys thinking about heading out?

Car's coming along. It shit a tailshaft bushing and seal over 4th of July and I haven't been back since. I'm in the middle of installing Big Stuff 3 for a little more control over everything. Hopefully I'll be back on the dyno on the 29th, and hit the track again over labor day weekend. I'm gonna hit it with everything no matter what.

I've still got all your stuff, and I leave 1 November. You've got Carter's truck now? What, did he get sick of it?

XLR8N
08-24-2009, 12:26 PM
haha, no hes trying to get into a car and it needs a rebuild. he wasnt running cold enough plugs in it and the strap burned off and took out a chunk of ring land, chewed up the piston and the head a bit. but it still runs fine and doesnt burn any oil. so im going to slap a stock engine back in it, the cam out of the vette and maybe some boost???? i have to many plans for everything so who knows whats going to happen. i may just throw that tnt kit on it and pill it up til it dies, haha. ill get someone to head over there to get all that crap, i know its in your way, haha. hurry up and get that thing tuned so you can get to the track with it!

jmill96Z
08-25-2009, 04:42 AM
haha. hurry up and get that thing tuned so you can get to the track with it!

It's coming along. After tomorrow I may have some different plans though. LSX in an 01 GT??

Robs99TA
08-25-2009, 05:05 AM
I was thinking I would be able to run 11's without a hole bunch of work. I have most of the things that I am going to need at this point will put it together in a few weeks and see how things go from there. look forward to seeing you all back in alaska

jmill96Z
08-25-2009, 05:22 AM
I was thinking I would be able to run 11's without a hole bunch of work. I have most of the things that I am going to need at this point will put it together in a few weeks and see how things go from there. look forward to seeing you all back in alaska

When are you getting back?

XLR8N
08-25-2009, 08:01 AM
are you headed back there on leave soon rob?

A ford? really? i dont think i would waste my time unless it was a built roller already. by chance its not silver is it? what are you thinking?

jmill96Z
08-25-2009, 08:09 AM
It's the same color as my car. Has been 8.20's in the 1/4 on a 28x10.50. If I can get it, it'll be rolling some 275's

gsxr1k2
08-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Hey as far as your tune goes-texas speed's mail order tune is pretty dead on.

Robs99TA
08-26-2009, 05:13 AM
I should be getting back around September 5th or so it all depends on the flights as most of you have experienced before.

jmill96Z
08-26-2009, 07:42 AM
The track should be open 13 Sept. if you want to go out there and get some time slips

Frozen WS6
08-29-2009, 12:44 AM
It's coming along. After tomorrow I may have some different plans though. LSX in an 01 GT??

I looked at the car when he picked it up. Man they did alot of changes to it. Then the feds did there damage. It's a shame the motor and tranny took an early release. Lol. That was a fast car. If you do decide to get it, I hope you don't pay anymore then he did for it.

jmill96Z
08-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Not getting it. I know what everyone paid for it, and there was no way Richard and I would be able to work out an amicable agreement. Basically we would both be getting screwed. Sucks, because I really liked the car. I bet it would fly with my motor and tranny in it.

AkSSS
08-30-2009, 02:03 AM
I would like to chime in here. I didn't know that there was a few good tuners around here. I haven't even met anyone up here that does any tuning. I'm stuck up in fairbanks but I am in Anch alot. I drive truck around the state.

I have a 370 in my silverado ss and I also, have a sts turbo on it. Anch drag bike also did my long block. Did great work. I have done LOTS of testing and error tuning and it has held together great. kinda pricy though.

I would like to meet up with some of you guys down there at some point. I would love to get some tuning pointers! I am just starting to learn about tuning in hp tuners. Drop me a line some time.
-Justin

Frozen WS6
08-30-2009, 09:03 AM
Not getting it. I know what everyone paid for it, and there was no way Richard and I would be able to work out an amicable agreement. Basically we would both be getting screwed. Sucks, because I really liked the car. I bet it would fly with my motor and tranny in it.

I agree there. He told me yesterday he was wanting $10,000 for it after he took the good parts off. That would have been the car I would have gotten if I had the spare cash. Your Lsx. Yep, solid low 9's, high 8. I'm serious about streeting your car on the back roads out here at my house. It would give us a start on that fuel map.

I would like to chime in here. I didn't know that there was a few good tuners around here. I haven't even met anyone up here that does any tuning. I'm stuck up in fairbanks but I am in Anch alot. I drive truck around the state.

I have a 370 in my silverado ss and I also, have a sts turbo on it. Anch drag bike also did my long block. Did great work. I have done LOTS of testing and error tuning and it has held together great. kinda pricy though.

I would like to meet up with some of you guys down there at some point. I would love to get some tuning pointers! I am just starting to learn about tuning in hp tuners. Drop me a line some time.
-Justin

There is also ak95ta on here that uses hp tuners and knows alot also. He lives about a 1/4 mile away from me out here in eagle river. I'm using efi live. Let me know when your down this way and I'll make some calls to get every one together.

jmill96Z
08-30-2009, 01:53 PM
That's not the price I would have gotten it for. Not even close. Still wasn't really a good deal for me, even at my "discount". I hope he makes some cash off the deal though. He's an awesome guy.

I'm working on getting a baseline today if you want to come by. I started it yesterday, and it ran like shit. Damn ignition configuration was for a phuckin Ford LOL Whole garage smelled like unburned MS 109

jmill96Z
08-30-2009, 01:54 PM

-Justin

We're all gonna be at the track over Labor Day!!! You should come down with the other guys. Brad and Nick are coming down from FBX

AkSSS
08-30-2009, 08:53 PM
We're all gonna be at the track over Labor Day!!! You should come down with the other guys. Brad and Nick are coming down from FBX

I actually will be down on thursday night. But I am drivin my wifes tbss. My truck still has some mods that I need to get figured out before I race it(or make a long trip with it). In the middle of planning a air to water i/c and a new air filter setup. I am scared to death to drive my truck in the rain with the filter under the truck like it is.

I will try to roll down to the track on saturday. Unless you guys will be there on friday. Let me know. I would like to meet some of you guys and check out some more ls based setups. Sorry to hijack your thread here. I have been just reading everything on here for info. Never really posted on here. I did get a few pictures up of my truck for you guys to check out. Thanks for the invite.
-Justin

edit-how come Alaska is not listed as a state in the northwest section? HUH!?

jmill96Z
08-30-2009, 09:31 PM
I actually will be down on thursday night. But I am drivin my wifes tbss. My truck still has some mods that I need to get figured out before I race it(or make a long trip with it). In the middle of planning a air to water i/c and a new air filter setup. I am scared to death to drive my truck in the rain with the filter under the truck like it is.

I will try to roll down to the track on saturday. Unless you guys will be there on friday. Let me know. I would like to meet some of you guys and check out some more ls based setups. Sorry to hijack your thread here. I have been just reading everything on here for info. Never really posted on here. I did get a few pictures up of my truck for you guys to check out. Thanks for the invite.
-Justin

edit-how come Alaska is not listed as a state in the northwest section? HUH!?

Most of us should be out there camping on Friday night. Everyone will be there Saturday though. You're more than welcome to come out, shoot the shit and have a few beers.

Jeremy

Frozen WS6
08-31-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm going to try to stop by Friday night on our way back. I'll definately be there Saturday, sunday and monday. Friday after work is fair night with the GF so, I told her she needed to come and meet some of my friends.

AkSSS
08-31-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm going to try to stop by Friday night on our way back. I'll definately be there Saturday, sunday and monday. Friday after work is fair night with the GF so, I told her she needed to come and meet some of my friends.

Well. I think I will have some time on friday and saturday. I am taking my wife and niece to the fair saturday. I have stuff going on sunday until around 4 but I will see what I can do. I guess I will just try to find you guys by your cars?
Lol, my wife already saw a look in my eye. I asked her if she wanted to run her tbss. "Over your trucks dead body" she said. So I guess I won't run her tb. Oh well. I will keep up with your guys here. Maybe I will bring my computer with my hpt?

Frozen WS6
08-31-2009, 09:42 PM
Nice. You won't miss my car. If the weathers nice I'll bring it out, I have my fingers crossed for sunny weather. It's a red 01 WS6 with flames. The cleanest bird you'll find down here. I have a friend in vegas with a nasty TBSS. Over 650 rwhp. It's one heck of a ride.

jmill96Z
09-02-2009, 11:59 AM
You'll be lucky to find my car out there. They make me park my shit in the weeds.

RTCTTFMF

Frozen WS6
09-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Lol. My beater is what some would say that sticks out like a sore thumb.

-Q-
09-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Whats up guys. Looks like I'm probably picking up that SOM WS6 that was on Craigslist for a while this weekend, so wanted to stop in and say hello to the AK crew. Any of you guys got any parts laying around up here? Otherwise USPS or UPS is about to make a fortune off my ass...this car is 100% stock, and I have no intentions of keeping it that way. Looking for lid, TB, headers, catted y, cat-back, cam, shifter, springs/shocks...you name it. Let me know if you guys have anything you're looking to sell. Look forward to seeing you around.

Frozen WS6
09-04-2009, 09:15 AM
I didn't know there was an SOM WS6 for sale. Is that the one the lady out in the valley has? If it is, it's a clean stock car with just highway miles. I use to see her every morning heading in to anchorage. If you've been around eagle river for any length of time you probably know my WS6.

-Q-
09-04-2009, 01:05 PM
I didn't know there was an SOM WS6 for sale. Is that the one the lady out in the valley has? If it is, it's a clean stock car with just highway miles. I use to see her every morning heading in to anchorage. If you've been around eagle river for any length of time you probably know my WS6.

I'm 99% sure that's going to be the same car. A guy in Kenai has it now, but bought it last summer from a couple in Palmer, so I'm thinking it's the car you're thinking of. Still 100% stock...but not for long. I've seen your car around, and a few others in the area. Hope you guys can give me some pointers on a cam swap...never done one on an LS motor. Found a good online guide, but never hurts to have a person talking to you.

-Q-
09-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Went to look at that WS6 today...bad news for me. Everything looked good until I took it out to drive it...rear end is growling bad at low speeds, and howling like a banshee at highway speeds. Sounded really bad. Had to turn it down...sucks, I had a check in hand and everything. Really thought I was bringing it back today. Oh well, the search continues...

Robs99TA
09-06-2009, 12:57 PM
How is everyone I have made it back home. I still have to install the parts on my car. I would like to meet up with some of you and talk about a few tuning issues that I have found. I am hitting the rev limiter at 5500 RPMs for some reason. hope everyone is having a good weekend

-Q-
09-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Anyone have a stock 10 bolt rear? Considering rebuilding/replacing the one in the car I looked at...

Frozen WS6
09-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Went to look at that WS6 today...bad news for me. Everything looked good until I took it out to drive it...rear end is growling bad at low speeds, and howling like a banshee at highway speeds. Sounded really bad. Had to turn it down...sucks, I had a check in hand and everything. Really thought I was bringing it back today. Oh well, the search continues...

Hey I don't know what their asking price is. But you need a 12 bolt if it's an auto or a 9 inch if it's a 6 speed anyway. Other wise with those mods your talking about that stock 10 will be a ticking time bomb. If you can get it around $10,000 or less buy it. The ws6's like that and an ls1 doesn't get put up for sale very often. What better reason to upgrade then that. That's a great winter project. If I had the cash I'd be going out to pick it up today. Since I'm out at the track anyway. If you set on a stock 10bolt, We'll talk this winter. That gives me a good reason to get my 9 inch.

How is everyone I have made it back home. I still have to install the parts on my car. I would like to meet up with some of you and talk about a few tuning issues that I have found. I am hitting the rev limiter at 5500 RPMs for some reason. hope everyone is having a good weekend

Welcome back. If you get a chance most of us are out at the track this weekend. I will be headed out there at around 8 this morning. We got jmills car running really good. We are going to take advantage of the good air this morning. Test and tune starts at 10 am today. Just look for all the 4th gen cars. You won't miss my red bird.

-Q-
09-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Hey I don't know what their asking price is. But you need a 12 bolt if it's an auto or a 9 inch if it's a 6 speed anyway. Other wise with those mods your talking about that stock 10 will be a ticking time bomb. If you can get it around $10,000 or less buy it. The ws6's like that and an ls1 doesn't get put up for sale very often. What better reason to upgrade then that. That's a great winter project. If I had the cash I'd be going out to pick it up today. Since I'm out at the track anyway. If you set on a stock 10bolt, We'll talk this winter. That gives me a good reason to get my 9 inch.

How much do you think it would cost to get a 9 inch up here? The shipping on that has got to be crazy, unless you know someone you can get one for you up here. I can't see sinking 3k into a rear end...

I has settled on a price of 11.4k before I found the rear end issue. He's taking it to a shop this week to get an estimate. I'm hoping to still be able to work something out.

Frozen WS6
09-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Since some places ship free in the lower 48. I forget which shipping company it is. But you can ship it to their hub in Washington. Then it can got ltl on a truck up to anchorage for a couple of hundred in stead of probably around 800. ak95ta (on here) out here in eagle river has done that has done this a few times and it's saved him a small fortune.
3000 not bad of an investment if you never want any problems ever again. Breaking stuff one the street or track will only end up costing you more and it's not fun having to have your car towed home. The tow alone will cost you a few hundred. I've been there and broke that. I'm just telling you my experiance with any f-body I've built or tuned on.

-Q-
09-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Yeah, I see where you're coming from. That would pretty much suck up the rest of the money I had for mods, so I'd be rolling around in a bone-stock WS6 with a 9" in back..lol. I may just look into rebuilding the diff, and downgrading my mod plans a little to get it to hold up until I move back to the lower 48 in the next couple of years. Depends on whether or not he'll move on the price. I really wouldn't be too hard on the car...I rarely go to the drags, and if I am getting on it, it's usually from a roll. I might be able to make it last a while.

Do you think ADB could rebuild the diff?

Frozen WS6
09-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Your going to want to go to youngs gear for that. Over on International by the Bush Company.

Hey my car isn't really modded and I have a 6 point cage and next will be the 9 inch. Then we'll see what I do next. Yes I do get crap from people. But guess were their cars are. BROKE..
I've built alot of cars and they have all taken everything I've thrown at it. There all still around with no problems because I've built them from the drivetrain forward. To live on the street and track. The fastest I did was a 69 chevelle, frame off restoration, 540cid big block, turbo 400, drove it to and from the track, from eagle river ran 10.20 all day. No problems ever..

-Q-
09-08-2009, 09:55 PM
I will give them a call. Curious to see what they would charge to put in gears with installation kit (bearings, seals, etc)...

I agree with what you're saying about the 9"...I just know I can't make this deal happen if I go that route. And I'd really like to have the car. If that means taking it easy on the mods and driving the car easy for a while, then I can make that sacrifice until I can afford the 9".

Frozen WS6
09-08-2009, 10:48 PM
I know all about being on a budget. I'm on one right now also. That's why mine isn't running 10's yet. Also I'm having way too much fun just driving it around. I can tell you one thing. The ricers don't mess with me because they don't know what I've done since I have custom paint and a cage.
Your on the right track with your thinking. Get the car first and go from their. I do like that color. SOM. I've also put together a late model performance group/ club. I send out emails of get togethers and stuff. You should pm me your name, email, phone number. It makes it easier to send out emails to everyone. Also if you need to look at my car for ideas, questions, help or what ever just let me know.

Hey Rob did you figure out your tuning issues??

-Q-
09-08-2009, 11:45 PM
I know all about being on a budget. I'm on one right now also. That's why mine isn't running 10's yet. Also I'm having way too much fun just driving it around. I can tell you one thing. The ricers don't mess with me because they don't know what I've done since I have custom paint and a cage.
Your on the right track with your thinking. Get the car first and go from their. I do like that color. SOM. I've also put together a late model performance group/ club. I send out emails of get togethers and stuff. You should pm me your name, email, phone number. It makes it easier to send out emails to everyone. Also if you need to look at my car for ideas, questions, help or what ever just let me know.

Will do. Thanks for the offer.

Frozen WS6
09-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Let me know how things go with getting the car.

Pm sent.

-Q-
09-10-2009, 12:04 AM
I will. Shot an offer back to the owner today...we'll see what he thinks.

-Q-
09-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Well it worked out...leaving to go pick up the car in a little while. Getting it in at Young's next week for a rebuild with new gears.

mrbravada
09-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Hi guys, I was poking around doing some research on cams and stumbled on this thread. I've got a few guys over on ls1gto.com that I'll point over this way as well.

I've got an 04 GTO, thats more or less stock. I'm doing my research on heads, cams, etc... I'm happy to see that you guys have some tuning experience, as I was worried about taking on the costs of buying, learning etc while taking on a cam. So if you are taking on a cam install I would love to help out where I can so I can go into it with more than internet howto's.

Also the shipping company based out of WA is SpanAK, I've shipped a couple of hoods with a few years ago. I also work for a frieght company and may be able to help you guys out :)

jmill96Z
09-15-2009, 11:49 PM
Just keeping this one alive. What are everyone's plans for the winter? Mine are--after getting situated in the new house-- to lighten the car up a little. Race brakes and pin-on hood. I'm trying to keep the factory glass as long as I possibly can. Then I'm gonna pull the motor to freshen it up, and swap cams (maybe go to a solid roller setup to get a little more RPM out of it)

Frozen WS6
09-16-2009, 08:36 PM
My plans are to wash the bird before it gets too cold. I drove it today. Then a couple of coats of wax. Then I'm going to try this tropi-care paint sealer. Finally cover it to keep the dust off. Then when I get bored I'm going to lift the cover and give it a good vaccuming and cover it back up. In March I'm ordering some new tires that it desperately needs. If I get a chance I'm getting new drivers door hinges also.

Welcome to Bird family -Q-

Mrbravada. I think I've seen your car running around. Send them on over. I know a couple of gto guys. One guy sold his black gto and the other guy is out here in Eagle River with a blown black gto. I put together a gm group/club. I'll pm you for your info.

-Q-
09-16-2009, 09:47 PM
I had money left over for a ton of parts when I bought the car, so whatever I can't get installed relatively quickly I'll be doing this winter. Gears are going in Friday. I have LT headers and TSP catted-Y on the way, as well as a Magnaflow exhaust, lid, Shaner TB, short-stick, and some new decals to replace the faded red ones. And a CETA WS.6 badge. Should look good on the SOM paint. Hoping for a cam this winter as well..

Frozen WS6
09-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Nice. Congrats. Your not going to spray it are you?
That black CETA emblem will look good on the SOM. Don't forget the wideband so we can tune it. Richard at Hales Technical had ordered some this summer. I'm not sure if he still has any left. Thats who I'm getting mine from. Let me know before you go see him. He can be pickey or standoffish at times. I work in the same building.
How's the paint? If it need some cleaning up I can buff it out and make it really shine. Like my car.

Jmil. You need to update your words under your name to 9 second club. Then next year I want to see it saying "stock cube record holder".

-Q-
09-16-2009, 11:32 PM
No, no spray for me. I'll leave it alone after the cam until I can get a 9in and then do heads and maybe STS or a Procharger. Along with a lot of other upgrades, if I go the FI route.

Paint is in good shape. I do a lot of car detailing myself, so I'm going to dive into that this weekend with the Porter Cable. Interior is in fantastic shape. I'll probably tint it...that will look good with the SOM and the CETA badge, and then I got silver "Trans Am" and bird decals instead of red. Should clean up really well.

What's the deal with that Hale's place? Does he have a dyno? I heard about it before, but someone told me he was really high priced and kind of a pain to deal with...

jmill96Z
09-17-2009, 08:23 AM
No, no spray for me. I'll leave it alone after the cam until I can get a 9in and then do heads and maybe STS or a Procharger. Along with a lot of other upgrades, if I go the FI route.

Paint is in good shape. I do a lot of car detailing myself, so I'm going to dive into that this weekend with the Porter Cable. Interior is in fantastic shape. I'll probably tint it...that will look good with the SOM and the CETA badge, and then I got silver "Trans Am" and bird decals instead of red. Should clean up really well.

What's the deal with that Hale's place? Does he have a dyno? I heard about it before, but someone told me he was really high priced and kind of a pain to deal with...

Richard's a good guy. Wait until you meet him to make judgement.

-Q-
09-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Richard's a good guy. Wait until you meet him to make judgement.

Alright, that's cool. Didn't mean to come off the wrong way...just what I'd heard. So does he have a dyno? Tuning?

jmill96Z
09-17-2009, 11:13 AM
He has a dyno, but doesn't really have the software to tune GM's. Talk to Frozen about handling that.

mrbravada
09-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Mrbravada. I think I've seen your car running around. Send them on over. I know a couple of gto guys. One guy sold his black gto and the other guy is out here in Eagle River with a blown black gto. I put together a gm group/club. I'll pm you for your info.

Yea, Dean's got the blown one, and I knew Rob was trying to sell his after he bought the G8. We only got to the track once this summer, lol, and apparently I didn't know how to launch.... :bang:

Frozen WS6
09-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Alright, that's cool. Didn't mean to come off the wrong way...just what I'd heard. So does he have a dyno? Tuning?

I've known Richard a long time. He's had to deal with alot of bruised egos, and cars blowing tires and a flywheel coming off on the dyno. People always try to play the blame game. So he starts high and finds out whos serious or not. Let me know if you want to head over and I can introduce you. I believe he's having a dyno day this Saturday. I may stop over if I get a kitchen pass from the GF. You will love having the boost. I've always wanted to put a procharger on my car. But we'll see how tired I get of my 6 speed junk.

Yea, Dean's got the blown one, and I knew Rob was trying to sell his after he bought the G8. We only got to the track once this summer, lol, and apparently I didn't know how to launch.... :bang:

That takes some experimenting with rpms to get it right. I can't launch my 6 speed at anything over 2000 rpm on street tires, and I've been racing out there since 98.

mrbravada
09-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Yup, it was my first trip to the track ever... participant or audience member. I mean 14.08 isn't too terrible, but I know I left a lot out there.

-Q-
09-19-2009, 12:25 AM
Got my gears installed today. Young's was really good to do business with...unfortunately, theres some whine at about 50mph. They called me after they drove it, and they weren't happy about that, which I thought was really cool of them. They really wanted to get it right before they gave the car back to me, but it sounds like a bad gearset and they're going to have to order another. They were really cool about it and let me bring the car home and drive it this weekend to be sure I like the ratio (4.10s), and then they're going to order me a new set from AAM next week and install those in a couple weeks. Really outstanding customer service.

Freaking love the 4.10s. Even on a stock car, I can tell a huge difference. 6th gear is actually useful now. Can't wait to get the rest of the bolt-ons installed.

jmill96Z
09-19-2009, 01:33 AM
Got my gears installed today. Young's was really good to do business with...unfortunately, theres some whine at about 50mph. They called me after they drove it, and they weren't happy about that, which I thought was really cool of them. They really wanted to get it right before they gave the car back to me, but it sounds like a bad gearset and they're going to have to order another. They were really cool about it and let me bring the car home and drive it this weekend to be sure I like the ratio (4.10s), and then they're going to order me a new set from AAM next week and install those in a couple weeks. Really outstanding customer service.

Freaking love the 4.10s. Even on a stock car, I can tell a huge difference. 6th gear is actually useful now. Can't wait to get the rest of the bolt-ons installed.

Let me guess, you bought Richmonds? The only gearset I have put in a 10 bolt that didn't whine was Motive. They aren't as brittle as the Richmonds. In fact I popped a set of richmond 4.10's in about 6 months once. Then I installed Motive's and they lasted until I installed my 9"

-Q-
09-19-2009, 01:41 AM
Let me guess, you bought Richmonds? The only gearset I have put in a 10 bolt that didn't whine was Motive. They aren't as brittle as the Richmonds. In fact I popped a set of richmond 4.10's in about 6 months once. Then I installed Motive's and they lasted until I installed my 9"

No, they put in AAM, which apparently is the OEM manufacturer. I originally asked for Motives, but they talked me into AAM because of how well they set up and how quiet they are (usually are, I should say). They were really surprised that these made as much noise as they did, because I guess they've had a lot of luck with them. I'd read that Motives were strong and quiet, but I figured I'd take their word on it, since they do it for a living.

jmill96Z
09-19-2009, 02:23 PM
LOL I wouldn't take their word on anything. WTF are AAM's? Tell them you went with their suggestion, and now you want a set of Motive's.

Frozen WS6
09-19-2009, 10:28 PM
That's too bad about the gears. I rarely ever use the worthless 6th gear.

-Q-
09-20-2009, 01:21 PM
No big deal. They'll get me taken care of, I'm not worried about it.

XLR8N
10-02-2009, 04:11 PM
wow, this thread blew up! i dont have enough time to read everything but ill get to it eventually, haha

jeff you need to get some gears in that thing then, i use 6th all the time! 33-35 mph on the way to the track!

-Q- youngs took care of me when i had to get all new sharfts for my truck, had them both done in half a day!

Frozen WS6
10-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Yeah. These stock 3.42s are going to be decided here within the next two years. I think I'm at 2500 at about 65mph. Depending on how soon I get fed up with that 6 speed junk. I was talking to my buddy in vegas and they just finished an 01 WS6 and it's running 9.6x on spray, and the tune still needs some work. So we'll see what I end up doing. One thing I know for sure is I'm going to see if I can take that fastest f-body semi-street car title from jmill. I have some big plans that are just waiting to be put in motion so.

In the mean time I got my truck's ball joints replaced. Few other steering parts and alignment. After dropping $2xxx on that three days later going over to my GF's house I ran something over and put a hole in my tire. It wasn't fixable. So tomarrow I'm going out to buy new tires. $833 for tires on my 3/4 ton gmc. Unexpected fixes are never any fun. At least these tires already had 60 or 70,000 miles on them.

XLR8N
10-03-2009, 11:02 AM
to all you guys looking for heads/cam, ill have a nice set of cnc'd 243's complete and a 228/232 .590/.596 on a 114 lsa for sale as soon as we all get back. plus we will also be able to do tuning and installs as soon as we get our garage ready so if any of you guys have any questions just send me a pm and we'll take care of you.

jeff youd better start working on that car to take that title, well i guess it is an f-body title right? haha i'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on a set of heads/cam that should put me over the 525rwhp mark, then finish my n20 up with a plate set up with a dual stage nozzle kit for somewhere around 250-300 or so. but i need to re-gear it BAD!! so that might come first. actually i just need some traction and install that stupid clutch thats just sitting around . . . .

well i hope next year will be a good turn out for all the gm cars, we need to get cracking so they are ready for the summer! its good to see some new faces . . err, people online that are up in ak!

Frozen WS6
10-03-2009, 12:26 PM
to all you guys looking for heads/cam, ill have a nice set of cnc'd 243's complete and a 228/232 .590/.596 on a 114 lsa for sale as soon as we all get back. plus we will also be able to do tuning and installs as soon as we get our garage ready so if any of you guys have any questions just send me a pm and we'll take care of you.

jeff youd better start working on that car to take that title, well i guess it is an f-body title right? haha i'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on a set of heads/cam that should put me over the 525rwhp mark, then finish my n20 up with a plate set up with a dual stage nozzle kit for somewhere around 250-300 or so. but i need to re-gear it BAD!! so that might come first. actually i just need some traction and install that stupid clutch thats just sitting around . . . .

well i hope next year will be a good turn out for all the gm cars, we need to get cracking so they are ready for the summer! its good to see some new faces . . err, people online that are up in ak!

So your not pcsing in feb.?
Yeah my car might get to take a little vacation to someplace warm to work on it's tan, if I don't see anything that meets my overpicky criteria. I have to have a heater. I'm not worried though. I can have it down to a 9 second car in about six to eight months. Oh I just realized, that would be through the winter. Even better. I'm just kind of dragging my feet until I get it's paid off. I will probably be ordering some headers for it next summer, and maybe some strano springs (the springs means I'd have to park in the street at my GF's house and you know that just doesn't work for me. LOL). Give me two years and I'll be knocking on that number, at full weight, well maybe.

Man. That will give you the fastest vette up here for sure. You better get those taller gears in. Oh and that clutch thats collecting dust for sure. Lol. If you need any help on any build let me know.

Next summer we need to really get everyone together for a meet and greet of the new guys in the group/club. This summer I was trying to get details figured out and we didn't have much for get togethers. I am trying to have a list of things to send out as we get closer to spring. I know I spend sometime with the car show stuff with my car, (and helping others out at the track), and out of everyones car I've seen so far. I have yet to see one not worthy of being at the few shows I go to.

-Q-
10-03-2009, 02:06 PM
XLR8N, let me know when you get back. I might be interested in that cam, especially if you guys can help me out with the tune as well.

I got my full exhaust on this week. Pacesetter LTs, TSP Catted Y, Magnaflow. Sounds really mellow, but I bet a cam would sound killer in there.

346ci
10-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Wow didn't realize there were this many modded LSx guys up here, maybe ak isnt as desolate as I thought. I only saw 3 f-bodys at the track this year granted I only went 3 times. Hopefully see some more of you guys out next season.

If anybody needs help/wants to compare ideas on tuning I'd be more than happy.

Robs99TA
10-04-2009, 01:29 AM
Good afternoon every one

I have a question, is there a good place to get my transmission rebuilt (A-4) in Anchorage I broke it on leave. I donít want to get something done that isnít going to last so I donít mind spending the money to have it done right. I am surprised how many LS1 guys are in the Anchorage area. Thanks I should be back in the beginning of the year and would like to get in contact with you all to pick your brains for more information. Good talking with you
Robert

Frozen WS6
10-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Good afternoon every one

I have a question, is there a good place to get my transmission rebuilt (A-4) in Anchorage I broke it on leave. I donít want to get something done that isnít going to last so I donít mind spending the money to have it done right. I am surprised how many LS1 guys are in the Anchorage area. Thanks I should be back in the beginning of the year and would like to get in contact with you all to pick your brains for more information. Good talking with you
Robert

Go see Top Jimmy out on the palmer/wasilla hwy. He builds most of the transmissions that are out at the track. You might want to get it to him before he get backed up this spring and all the racers drop their's off to him. On top of his regular work.

346ci
10-05-2009, 01:27 AM
If you want a really good quality transmission give Anthony's Transmission in Kenai a call 907-283-0924. I know it's a bit far from Anchorage, but Anthony is one of the best tranny builders in the state and specializes in GM. He uses top quality parts and does the most thorough rebuilds I have seen.

Frozen WS6
10-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Hey Q. I think I saw you running into Anchorage friday night around 7 or 8ish by the scales on my way home.

Did you install the headers yourself?

Brody. I am trying to get setup with a spray fill station for next summer. So nomore going to the underground for a bottle of air.

-Q-
10-11-2009, 02:30 AM
That was me, for sure...I was heading into Anchorage around 7:45. Yeah, I did the headers, catted-y, and magnaflow all at once. Took some time, but I got it all together relatively easily. Still have to fine tune the adjustments on the exhaust tips to get them lined up and even, but I'm 99% done. Sounds really mellow, but I like it. Shouldn't be too obnoxious with a cam...hopefully I'll get to that this winter.

Frozen WS6
10-11-2009, 11:20 AM
That was me, for sure...I was heading into Anchorage around 7:45. Yeah, I did the headers, catted-y, and magnaflow all at once. Took some time, but I got it all together relatively easily. Still have to fine tune the adjustments on the exhaust tips to get them lined up and even, but I'm 99% done. Sounds really mellow, but I like it. Shouldn't be too obnoxious with a cam...hopefully I'll get to that this winter.

Nice. You did your headers with the car up on jackstands? I 'm going to see if I can get some this winter. Money dependant (vacation or headers?). I already have a cat back, but they welded the tips on alittle crooked and one day I'll have to fix that now that I have a welder.
Sounds like your happy with the purchase. I've had mine now for five years and won't be selling it anytime soon. Rolled 68,xxx miles this summer. I don't know if it was my eyes or my truck mirrors, but one side of the taillights looked brighter then the other the other night on your car.

-Q-
10-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Ha, you saw right. I have the notorious taillight corrosion going on in the left taillight. I guess the reflective portion of the light inside the housing corrodes when water gets in there, and it darkens the entire housing. I'm going to try to find a replacement one of these days.

I did the headers with the rear tires backed up on ramps, and the front on jackstands. I had probably 10-12 inches of clearance under the front tires, so it was up there, but I just gave the car a good shake to make sure it was stable. If you have plenty of room underneath, the install isn't too bad.

-Q-
10-29-2009, 09:37 PM
Any of you guys still drivin 'em? Might be the last hurrah here over the next few days, but sunshine + 30 degree temps = WS6 heaven. Hoping to get a cam and start the install soon.

Frozen WS6
10-30-2009, 12:07 AM
I hope to have mine out a little. Especially since I found I had a bad spark plug. It's back to running on all 8 and it's so nice. But I'm still trying to sort out a few other issues with one of my other installs. If your looking for a great wideband go see Richard at Hales. He still has two left. Mine works great.

jmill96Z
10-30-2009, 01:10 AM
Damn, I was just looking at this thread thinking about bumping it up. My junk is in the trailer ready to head south on Saturday.

Frozen WS6
11-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Ok. My car is being a pain in my a__. I decided to drive it to work on Saturday. Alittle cold in the morning, no big deal. Went out after work to warm it up before I left. Now I have the typical firebird door panel crack. First it doesn't want to work with me on one of my installs, now I need a new door panel. I think I'm going to dust it off and put the cover on and deal with things later. Before something else happens.

ak95ta
11-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Damn, I just found this thread. Got my car finally over to Hales, http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/1200525-efi-connection-24x-makes-700rwhp.html Anyway, No plans for me this winter except this 00 v6 M5 firebird I picked up. Got it with a salvage title for $500, doing a reconstruct on it with all the spare parts I have. Pretty sad really, all i needed to buy was a fender. Car runs and drives great, only had 59xxx miles on it.

-Q-
11-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Damn, I just found this thread. Got my car finally over to Hales, http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/1200525-efi-connection-24x-makes-700rwhp.html Anyway, No plans for me this winter except this 00 v6 M5 firebird I picked up. Got it with a salvage title for $500, doing a reconstruct on it with all the spare parts I have. Pretty sad really, all i needed to buy was a fender. Car runs and drives great, only had 59xxx miles on it.

I believe your neighbor is a coworker of mine. The guy with all the boats, LOL. He's told me about your cars. Nice numbers on the dyno.

ak95ta
11-03-2009, 02:24 PM
I believe your neighbor is a coworker of mine. The guy with all the boats, LOL. He's told me about your cars. Nice numbers on the dyno.

Thanks! Haha, yeah David is my next-next door neighbor, super nice guy!

jmill96Z
11-12-2009, 11:05 PM
So, is this thread dead or what? Congrats on the strong #'s Dustin. That thing should fly next summer. As for my junk, I just closed on my house today. The car should be in the garage tomorrow, and I'm going for real weight reduction. If it's not being used, it's coming out. Hopefully I'll have the weight reduction and drag brakes done by Christmas. That should leave me time to freshen up the motor, and convert over to a solid roller setup before the season starts down here.

Frozen WS6
11-14-2009, 10:59 PM
How was the drive?
We've finally got snow so we went into hibernation. LOL..

jmill96Z
11-15-2009, 12:08 AM
The drive wasn't too bad. Knock on wood, we still don't have any snow here yet.

XtremeDime
11-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Looks like I finally found you guys! Im sure some of you are on AKMS, im Elusive on there. Doing a turbo build on my 2000 ws6.

-Q-
12-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Thought I'd bump this up...I tore up my right shoulder and just had surgery on Wednesday. So I did the only logical thing I could do...sold my snowmachine (since I can't ride this year anyhow), and now I'm in the market for a supercharger for my winter project! Hope to pick up either a P1/D1SC Procharger or a Vortech piece here within the next couple weeks. Should help wake things up a bit, and keep me from going insane with boredom this winter.

Frozen WS6
12-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Thought I'd bump this up...I tore up my right shoulder and just had surgery on Wednesday. So I did the only logical thing I could do...sold my snowmachine (since I can't ride this year anyhow), and now I'm in the market for a supercharger for my winter project! Hope to pick up either a P1/D1SC Procharger or a Vortech piece here within the next couple weeks. Should help wake things up a bit, and keep me from going insane with boredom this winter.

Man, you've been having a tough winter. Your truck and now shoulder. I'd go with the D1, if you go with a procharger. It gives you the ability to turn up the boost later if you want. I was going to go that route on mine and was about to give Bob at Exotic Performance Plus cash at sema a couple of years ago but I had some more important things come up. New engine for my truck.

-Q-
12-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Got a deal in place on a D1SC yesterday. Still have to pick up some of the various parts for the kit (injectors, fuel pump, etc), but it's pretty much ready to start bolting on. Now I just have to find someone to help me tune it...hopefully some of you guys are ready for a project.

Frozen WS6
12-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Nice. You should see if Bob has those as a kit. As far as tuning. Between ak95ta and I we can get you tuned. I'm out of vins for my efilive. Those are $100. So that's all we'll need there. Just make sure you get a wideband. If Richard has any left, I'm sure he'd make you a good deal. I have mine hidden in my car now. Just clean and unsuspecting. :devil:

XtremeDime
12-15-2009, 09:45 PM
I just bought one from Richard last month, 230$ with gauge for a Dynojet WB2. He still had a handful left

-Q-
12-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Sweet. I may go ahead and buy a WB with a guage then. I have a boost guage and a single guage pod for it now, but I could get a double pod and put them both in there.

Frozen, I'd be happy to buy as many credits as you need to do the car on EFIlive. I debated buying HPtuners myself and learning how, but I'd rather not start the learning curve with a FI car. I'll get with you in the spring to get a good time to do it. I should have it together by then no problem. Going to suck having the kit sitting in the garage here for a month or two before I'll be well enough to install it, but hey, it's a long winter. I've got plenty of time.

-Q-
12-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Any of you guys have parts laying around in the garage? I need injectors, fuel pump, fan, etc to finish this build. Like to get a ZO6 or blower specific cam as well. Anyways, if you guys have stuff you're looking to get rid of, let me know. I'm going to have my MTI clear lid up for sale soon, if anyone is interested.

XLR8N
12-19-2009, 11:21 AM
I'll have a few things for you vette I will be seeling shortly after i get back if your interested . . . . .

as far as tuning there are a few guys that are decent at it. If you are going to do it yourself i would recomend HPTuners, the support for it is 10 times larger than EFILive. We should be back in late feb if you need any additional help tuning, although we will be super busy there is always time for lsx buddies!

Frozen WS6
12-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Time to start thinking about summer. XLR8N is already talking about a lsx/ltx meet. Cruise, photos, around juneish. Who's up for it. I'll get an email out to everyone once we get a date locked in. Any ideas are welcome. Right now it looks like we may head down portage way.

-Q-
12-29-2009, 12:34 AM
I am all in for that. And I'm definitely thinking about summer...got my D1SC, fans/shroud in the mail already and have my fuel pump, hotwire kit, injectors, and wideband/gauge on the way. Boost and fuel pressure gauge and a dual pillar pod and I'm set to start putting things on. Now its time to start saving for a clutch...

ak95ta
12-29-2009, 02:20 AM
Wow sounds like you are making some progress too. If you need some help with tuning, Kyle(XtremeDime) and I are going to be doing some FI tuning with HP tuners. Im sure Brody(XLR8N) will be helping too.

-Q-
12-29-2009, 11:26 AM
That would be awesome. Hopefully I'll be digging in here in the next 2-3 weeks...as soon as my shoulder is healed up enough to start. You guys think I need to get a base tune from somebody like Frost to get me started?

XLR8N
12-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Nah, if you can wait til feb (which the roads arent even good enough to drive on yet) we can do it for you

ak95ta
12-29-2009, 04:28 PM
That would be awesome. Hopefully I'll be digging in here in the next 2-3 weeks...as soon as my shoulder is healed up enough to start. You guys think I need to get a base tune from somebody like Frost to get me started?

Im sure Frost does some of the best tuning out there, but there is enough experience here to get you a really good base tune, or even an advance tune for that matter. Id just save the money you would pay Frost, and use that toward buying your own HP Tuners interface, or a license to use one of ours.

-Q-
12-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Awesome. I will wait then and put the money towards licenses or credits or whatever you guys need to make it happen. I just downloaded and read through the entire 50 page Procharger manual, and it seems pretty straightforward. I need to go through all my parts I got from the seller (who seemed a tad shady) with the manual and make sure I'm not missing any of the little stuff...

Frozen WS6
12-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Frozen, I'd be happy to buy as many credits as you need to do the car on EFIlive. I debated buying HPtuners myself and learning how, but I'd rather not start the learning curve with a FI car. I'll get with you in the spring to get a good time to do it. I should have it together by then no problem. Going to suck having the kit sitting in the garage here for a month or two before I'll be well enough to install it, but hey, it's a long winter. I've got plenty of time.

I didn't even see this part. Lol. Yeah no problem. Just let me know. I'm going to get a couple of more licenses before summer anyway just to have ready if or when I need them. I still learn something everytime I do it. I've got every book on tuning so if you ever want to barrow them let me know. They came out with a dvd I'm going to get soon also. I've spent alot of long nights (until 2am) on the dyno helping tune a car before. Tuning and tired. Not a good mix. I have to finish building a 70 chevelle before April. Then maybe if I get time I might try tuning my car for my new small change. But My car isn't a priority since I just like to drive it now that it's running on all 8 cylinders again. The miss it has had the whole time I've owned it is gone. I'm going to be ordering some new tires pretty soon, as long as my wisdom teeth don't cost too much.

-Q-
01-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Alright guys, not sure if I screwed up here or not. I bought a set of Delphi 50lb injectors used off a forum member here before I really knew what I wanted for this D1SC build. Now I'm hearing that they are hard to tune, and that I really shouldn't use them at all. What do you guys think? Would you guys be able to tune these, or should I try to sell them and buy some 60lb'ers? I have them up for sale now, but obviously I'd rather keep them and use them if they'll be tuneable.

What do you think?

Frozen WS6
01-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Alright guys, not sure if I screwed up here or not. I bought a set of Delphi 50lb injectors used off a forum member here before I really knew what I wanted for this D1SC build. Now I'm hearing that they are hard to tune, and that I really shouldn't use them at all. What do you guys think? Would you guys be able to tune these, or should I try to sell them and buy some 60lb'ers? I have them up for sale now, but obviously I'd rather keep them and use them if they'll be tuneable.

What do you think?

I havn't tried to tune 50's before. I can't remember off the top of my head what we put into the turbo camaro. You should ask AK95TA. He's tried more injectors on his car then anyone I know. I think he'll have the best idea if they should work. Since he's been there tried that, experiance. The main thing I looked at is if the duty cycle is close to being maxed out or not.

-Q-
01-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Duty cycle is not going to be a problem, according to the resident experts (Bob from EPP and Lonnie from Lonnie's Performance). I'm more concerned about the fact that they seem to be regarded as difficult to get right. I'm going to see if I can sell them for a decent price, and if not, I'll try and rock them.

Anybody need a set of injectors? :) Or an MTI clear lid, or a single pillar pod, or a "Bowtie" boost gauge? Got all this stuff for sale now, so if anyone up here is interested, I'll cut a bunch off the price.

XtremeDime
01-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Does anyone have an LT1/4 radiator support lying around? I need

Robs99TA
01-13-2010, 06:40 AM
I am glad this is still going. I will be home in mid Feb hope to see you all around. I will probably need all the information I can get from everyone when I put my car together.

jmill96Z
01-14-2010, 06:35 AM
Does anyone have an LT1/4 radiator support lying around? I need

Go with the bmr. Its fairly cheap

Frozen WS6
01-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Go with the bmr. Its fairly cheap

But don't forget the rubber isolators that actually hold the radiator. LOL...

WTF. 6.19 at 111. Better throw some 4.56's in the for that 1/8 mile shit.

346ci
01-16-2010, 11:40 PM
Time to start thinking about summer. XLR8N is already talking about a lsx/ltx meet. Cruise, photos, around juneish. Who's up for it. I'll get an email out to everyone once we get a date locked in. Any ideas are welcome. Right now it looks like we may head down portage way.

I'd be up for it, I'd like to see everybody's lsx. The farther south the better for me.

jmill96Z
01-19-2010, 08:42 PM
But don't forget the rubber isolators that actually hold the radiator. LOL...

WTF. 6.19 at 111. Better throw some 4.56's in the for that 1/8 mile shit.

LOL No Shit!!

I have to keep it geared for the 1/4 for now. :devil:

Frozen WS6
02-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Happenings. I'm just waiting for some things to get sent back to finish putting my car back together. Watching it collect dust. I'm ordering new tires by the end of the month.

Robs99TA
02-23-2010, 12:17 AM
well I am back in town. I am waiting on my heads to get back from the machine shop.

we should all get together for a coffee or beer somtime.

look forward to talking with everyone

-Q-
02-23-2010, 01:00 AM
I'm up for that. Finally started digging in on the Procharger install. Coming along slowly but surely. Hopefully I'll have it wrapped up here pretty soon...still waiting on a few odds and ends.

Frozen WS6
03-14-2010, 04:59 PM
If any of you guys are planning on going out to the dragstrip to race pm me. We are working on a new class just for our street cars. The pan is to have this race once a month if I can get it approved. I'll post more after my meeting with the track owners.

AKz06
03-19-2010, 11:37 PM
So whats the status of a LSX club in Anchorage (or close surroundings)?
I know there are a bunch of us scattered around AK, lets get our shit together and make it official or something. Just a thought.:chug:

Frozen WS6
03-19-2010, 11:43 PM
That's me. I've got one started and when we can start driving our cars I'll try to get some get togethers posted. I'm working on getting a class at the dragstrip for real street cars right now.
Send me your email and info and car and I'll add you to the list.

AKz06
03-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Will do, thanks!

-Q-
03-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Finished the Procharger build. Waiting for the computer to get here with the base tune so I can fire it up, and then wait for all this snow to melt so I can drive it.

346ci
03-24-2010, 01:25 AM
How's that street class coming along Frozen?

Frozen WS6
03-24-2010, 08:25 AM
Everything looks good. They were trying to get the new rules posted on the track website, but it's not up yet. The payouts are going to be pretty good this year. Brackets running all out. The tube chassis cars have to make the parade laps, then 3 qualifing rounds, and run the first round before they have a chance at the fastest car payout. They'll have to work for it. Then it comes down to consistance and who can cut a light to win the bracket which is a 40% payout and the runner up gets 20% of the entries.

There will be a second class for drag radials only, based off of the same rules and has the same payouts.

346ci
03-24-2010, 04:38 PM
So tube chassis and slicks allowed? hmmmmm not really a true street class, guess I'll wait to see the rules

Frozen WS6
03-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Thats what the dr class is for. The tube cars will never run on a dr. Also I heard rumors of that atleast one tube car might not be running this year.

XLR8N
04-09-2010, 12:04 AM
anyone have anything going that new??

hey Q did you ever get that stumbling figured out? send me a message and we can come scope it out!

-Q-
04-09-2010, 01:39 AM
anyone have anything going that new??

hey Q did you ever get that stumbling figured out? send me a message and we can come scope it out!

Man, I'm working on it. We're trying to track it down. Kyle and maybe Mike will be out here tomorrow late afternoon helping me out...anyone is welcome to come by and throw their 2 cents in. Shoot me a PM and I'll get you guys directions to my place.

346ci
04-16-2010, 12:25 AM
Have the true street rules been finalized? If so where can I read them, ARPs website seems slightly useless for rules. Anybody plan on racing this season?

Frozen WS6
04-16-2010, 08:16 AM
Ok. Here are the official rules.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are two classes based on tire type, and the purse seed money is sponsored by Denali Concrete and Jay Childs. There is also an incentive to become the True King - one who can be the fastest car and the bracket winner. An honor that will get you a fancy title and some extra cash sponsored by Alaska Safety and Interior Graphics & Printing.

Entry fee: $50, car and driver only.

Classes: There will be two classes based on tire type, Bias Ply or Radial

Prizes: Pro Street winner 40 % of entries, Street Bracket winner 40% of entries, Street Bracket runner-up 20% of entries. The purse for the BIAS PLY class will start with $500 courtesy of Denali Concrete. The purse for the RADIAL TIRE class will start with $500 courtesy of Jay Childs Race Cars.

Vehicle Type: Class is open to full-bodied cars and trucks only. No dragsters, roadsters, altered, or T-buckets (with exception of late model vehicles such as Corvette convertible).

Maximum ET: for qualification is 14.99 seconds.

Minimum Entry: Minimum of ten vehicles to compete.

Engine Combo: Any engine combination allowed. Engines are limited to one power additive (supercharger, nitrous, or turbocharger).

Fuel: Fuel is limited to pump gas, racing gas or alcohol. No nitro.

Registration: Vehicle must have a current registration, seasonal tags are allowed, but no temp tags. Registration must match VIN# and plates; plate must be displayed on rear bumper. No exceptions.

Lights: Must have a functional lighting system i.e. headlights, taillights, brake lights, and turn signals.
Charging System: Must have a functional charging system by means of a generator or alternator.

Exhaust: Must have mufflers that are functional (exhaust running through them, not gutted) and the end of the exhaust pipe or muffler must extend 2Ē past the driverís rear door gap.

Tires: BIAS PLY CLASS Must have DOT approved Rear Street or drag tires with factory tread (any width) or drag slicks, which must be stamped 10.5 inches. RADIAL TIRE CLASS Must have drag radial tires only, any width.

Lettering/Decals: Lettering and decals limited to the windows and rocker panels only. (Lettering and decals must be placed no higher than 6 inches from the lower body line.)

Wipers: Must have functional wipers; arms and blades may be removed for safety. The only exception is for pre-1950 vehicles with vacuum wipers.

Doors/Windows: Must have functional doors and windows (open/close and roll up/down) Quarter windows may be stationary.

Tow Vehicles: Tow vehicles are prohibited. All cars must drive to the staging lanes and back to pit area after run (except if breakage occurs).

Safety Rules: IHRA safety rules apply to all vehicles, including Chassis Certification and Competition Licensing.

Burnouts: Regardless of ET, no burnouts across the starting line.

Competition: The ladder will be set up based on reaction time and run on a full-tree. All cars must compete in all three qualifying rounds and run dial-in eliminations. The fastest car overall will be declared the Pro Street winner. The winner of the bracket will be declared the Street Bracket winner. Should anyone enter and win both the Pro Street and the Street Bracket, they will receive a True King sticker and a bonus of $1000 courtesy of Interior Graphics& Printing and Alaska Safety.

Schedule: Gates will open at 2 pm. Time trials are from 4 until 5:30. Three parade laps down the track and back the return lanes start at 6 pm. Immediately followed by the first qualifying pass. There will be approximately a 15 minute cool down period between rounds.

Frozen WS6
04-16-2010, 08:17 AM
I'll be out there making some passes. I have a couple of things I need to do on my bird to run kos though.

346ci
04-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Thanks for posting the rules. Better than before, though I would really like to see more of a street cruise 15 miles or to qualify that day for kos. I will give kos a try this season, won't be very competetive, but at least suppostring a street class.

Frozen WS6
04-16-2010, 10:06 PM
A street cruise will never happen. The track has a neighbor that is on the burough councel and is looking for every reason to shut the track down. She calls in complaints about noise at 10:01pm.
Competitive. Alls you need to do is be consistant and you can win. The way it's set up with these rules even a 13 second car has a fair chance at winning some decent money. I've won plenty of races by being the slower car and not having to wait at the light. It would be nice to see a good lsx showing.

346ci
04-17-2010, 11:37 PM
That sucks about the neighbor, always someone like that. We'll see how consistent I can get, never put effort in to consistency. Hope to see a good amount of lsx cars as well.

-Q-
06-23-2010, 12:20 AM
Alright guys, I gotta bump this thread up. Unfortunately, my ringlands let go yesterday, and I'm in a bind to have the cash to rebuild the engine. So the f-body procharger kit is up for sale...take a look at the thread for more details. I can come down on the price a little if one of you guys up here is interested in it. Any questions, let me know.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/parts-classifieds/1297173-ati-procharger-d1sc-kit-sdce-8-rib-tensioner-extras.html

Wellz
06-23-2010, 12:26 AM
Alright guys, I gotta bump this thread up. Unfortunately, my ringlands let go yesterday, and I'm in a bind to have the cash to rebuild the engine. So the f-body procharger kit is up for sale...take a look at the thread for more details. I can come down on the price a little if one of you guys up here is interested in it. Any questions, let me know.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/parts-classifieds/1297173-ati-procharger-d1sc-kit-sdce-8-rib-tensioner-extras.html

How long did you have it on? It looks like no long just based on the timeline of this here thread. PM me the lowest price you would consider taking.

Frozen WS6
06-23-2010, 08:12 AM

That sucks. What's the plans on the rebuild?

-Q-
06-23-2010, 09:57 AM
That sucks. What's the plans on the rebuild?

Not totally sure yet. Probably won't have the funds to do as much as I'd like...I'll probably pull the motor, break it down to a shortblock, and get some prices from the local machine shops to have the shortblock rebuilt with good rods/pistons. Then buy some decent heads, put a cam in it, and call it a day for now.

Frozen WS6
06-24-2010, 08:24 AM
There are a lot of options you can go with. I personally like the AFR heads. I wish the blackbird had some AFR225's on it.

I took my blackbird to the track sunday. First was 11.05 @122. Second pass 10.96 @123. Both on motor, drove it out and back on pump gas.

-Q-
06-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Nice times man. When you gonna spray it?

Frozen WS6
06-24-2010, 11:29 PM
The plan is to dial in the tune this weekend and have it out for the 4th of july weekend. I have 2 full bottles that I'm taking out there so. I'm trying to run KOS. But that may be on motor. It will be sprayed that weekend. Starting with a few 1/8 mile hits to get the suspension dialed and then run it out the back door. If it goes 9's it better be a good one. I'm driving out hoping for a low 10, possibly a 9, if everything goes right I'll be driving it home. Proving what Real street cars are. :D

-Q-
06-29-2010, 11:55 PM
Alright, looks like I have the new build coming together. I traded the Procharger kit for a low-mile LQ4 shortblock with LS2 timing chain and TSP ported LS6 oil pump, 241 heads with Patriot Dual Gold springs (heads are coming off), PP Typhoon 96mm polished intake and 96mm throttle body (also coming off to be sold), and a TSP Torquer V.2 cam with hardened pushrods. Got this motor plus cash from a guy out of state.

The 241 heads are coming off and I'm in the market for new ones. So if you guys have some for sale or know of any around, let me know. Thinking PRC Stage 2.5 5.3s or 243s. Probably 5.3s milled to around 60cc to get the comp up with these dished pistons. Can't afford the AFR or TFS heads. Going to re-use the Patriot dual springs coming with the motor.

Going to go with my LS6 intake and Shaner S3 throttle body and sell that Typhoon 96mm intake and TB combo. If you guys know anyone who might want the the intake and tb, let me know.

I'll be having a motor pulling/install party as soon as the new one gets here. I'll buy the beer and the pizza.

Frozen WS6
07-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Ok. Here is the update. This is on a fat 150 shot that didn't spray off the line. On Pump Gas and driven to and from the track. I'm pretty happy so far since my goal is a 9.50. There is alot left in this 150 shot and the rich 100 shot went 10.02. Which has a 9.9x in it.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm222/FrozenWS6/98%20Trans%20AM/98TA7-4-2010TIMESLIPS002.jpg

346ci
07-06-2010, 12:57 AM
Nice run, I got to watch it from the top end. Hit the rev limiter a bit?

Frozen WS6
07-06-2010, 08:03 AM
Nice run, I got to watch it from the top end. Hit the rev limiter a bit?

I know. I'm old and can't shift fast enough. LOL. I'm still getting use to the sound of 6500 so I've been waiting for the shift light to come on before I shift to keep from short shifting it. I shift at 6500, limiter is at 6800, so I'm bumping to up a little closer to 7,000. I wonder what that run would have been if it was closer to perfect and it sprayed out of the hole. I really haven't been able to spend as much time on this car as I would like. I've been taking care of some more important things in life.