Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

looking for help in Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 03:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for help in Alaska

I am looking to see if anyone may know of someone in Alaska that I could talk with for help on my 99 TA. I am going to need a tune and some advice on various other things. I have found it really hard finding someone to help out in the great state of Alaska. Thank you very much.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:37 PM
9 Second Club

What all are you planning on doing to it. I am also the founder of our local late model club. I'm doing some tuning and we have guys that will definately help you out. I'm out in Eagle River and work in Anchorage.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

theres are a few guys that can help you up there but most are gone on deployment along with myself. ol frozens' pretty good about helping out. what are you looking at doing to your car?
Old 07-24-2009, 04:28 AM
Teching In

Angry

I am currently depolyed myself I am wanting to put a head and cam package in with headers, gears and the normal upgrades. I will order a tune if I have to but would rather not. I am on ft Richardson as well
Old 07-24-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

no need to order a tune. what heads/cam are you trying to go with? give us some specs on your car and your goals, we can set you up pretty good when we get back. what battalion are you in? im over in the cav.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:46 PM
Teching In

Default Pfar

I am with PFAR in the FSC. I want to go with the 228/228 588/588 cam I am going to use the stock heads just going to port them. will be useing a 3000 stall. I would like to be running 11s. this kit should make about 420 RWHP. what kind of setups are you all running.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:02 AM
9 Second Club

All show. Other then the k&n, battery and cat back I have Gm part numbers on everything for now. I have some spray that may go on. Long tubes one day. It won't get to much more it's my street car, not raced and I'd like to keep it passing the Im crap. I wish it was an auto. I'm still not happy with any clutch I put in it. This LS7 is the best street clutch so far. I'm buying a 9 or 10 second bird to track some.
I've always been better at drag suspension setups. Xel you lost me on the tune off specs part.
You should make sure to get a wideband. I still need to get mine that's why I havn't gotten to carried away trying to tune my car yet.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I met a Reservist up at Kulis last year that has a nicely built daily driver 1/2 ton Chevy (heads, cam, blower, N20), but he said that shop that built his truck there in Anchorage went out of business unfortunately. Since Anchorage isn't all that big, you guys up there would recognize it if you saw it - all black single cab, lowered, with a big fat "P.O.W." sticker on the back.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:03 AM
9 Second Club

I know that truck. It use to run around out here in EagleRiver. I talked to the guy when he was at the track and when he was selling it. It use to have a canopy on it. If I remember right the guy at Kulis bought it. Or had one built to copy the guy I talked to.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive seen a truck like that but it was an ss silverado with an sts kit on it, camper shell and everything. it didnt run like it shouldve though.

so whats up with this firebird your getting frozen?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:13 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by XLR8N

so whats up with this firebird your getting frozen?
Here's the deal. One of two things will happen in the next year and a half or so. I will get a 9 or low 10 second bird, since the market still hasn't hit bottom.
Or I'll finish wasting my time with this **** 6 speed junk. 3 clutches in less then 15,000 miles. I replaced everything that has to do with the clutch so I know there is NO problems there. When alls I do is drive it. Convert to a turbo 350. If that happens... Then it will become the nastiest WS6 in the state. I'll send it to a friends shop in vegas and when I get it back... Well I guess you'll have to come back to visit and go for that ride. If the second happens it's going to take a couple of years to put together but I'll figure that out when the time comes.
Side not there are two Dick Herrell cars in town now. This guy owns both. One Yellow ZL1 car and a Red phase 3X car number 8. I drooled on the red one yesterday at the show n shine.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:04 AM
Teching In

Default parts

It sounds like there are more of us in the state than I thought. I am trying to for an 11 sec car. We will see how this all works out. I have a plan just need to make it happen. What kind of times are you guys running. I am going to try to make it out to the track in September when I am home on R&R. I am hoping to run high 12's this fall and 11's next summer. I am looking forward to see what you all are running and the setup you have. Where do you guys get most of your parts from and is there any place in Anchorage. Thank you
Old 08-09-2009, 09:25 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robs99TA
It sounds like there are more of us in the state than I thought. I am trying to for an 11 sec car. We will see how this all works out. I have a plan just need to make it happen. What kind of times are you guys running. I am going to try to make it out to the track in September when I am home on R&R. I am hoping to run high 12's this fall and 11's next summer. I am looking forward to see what you all are running and the setup you have. Where do you guys get most of your parts from and is there any place in Anchorage. Thank you
I would say there is a handful of us that know a few things about building and tuning these. XLR8N has put together some pretty good combos. As far as parts, I order all my parts from out of state. Yeah I got alot of money tied up in shipping, but I got exactly what I wanted. Most of the shops try to talk the talk, but don't know much about the LS stuff. With the right cam and spray you'll run 11's all day. You going NA, Boost, or Spray?
Times. I'm a retired street, drag racer. My car went down the track once with a really bad clutch. I like building really fast street cars now. I usually have one day of time slips just for my records.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Default I plan on going N/A

I plan on going N/A. I have alot to learn myself so I wont talk to much Sh!! yet. I was planning on useing the 228R cam with a set of 373's and a 3200 stalland M/T DR. now the heads I might just P&P the ones that I have I have been told I can get some pretty good numbers from them. then the normal mods like headers exhaust shift kit.I am still trying to find a good deal on a
LS6 intake. My only real concern is I no that a good tune will make or break me and I have no idea what I am doing in that aspect.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:28 PM
9 Second Club

There are a few of us you can learn alot from. I'm still learning new things. Feel free to ask away if I don't have the answer XLR8N probably does. If he doesn't we can def find out. We can get you tuned. Thats not a problem, I'm not as fast as XLR8N is with tuning, but I can do it.. You going to run a 28" tire then? That will get your mph up alittle.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:07 AM
Teching In

I think I am going to run 28's I have to look and see I might be able to get away with 410's with those tires. well I well deffently take you up on the help with the tune. Do you recommend any one in anchorage to P&P my heads or do you think I should go and do it my self. I have a good idea on how it is done just never done it.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:14 AM
9 Second Club

You can go to anchorage drag bike (ADB). They do decent work and can flow bench it also. There expensive but if you want to stay in state there the only ones. I have efilive. XLR8N uses hp tuners.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robs99TA
I think I am going to run 28's I have to look and see I might be able to get away with 410's with those tires. well I well deffently take you up on the help with the tune. Do you recommend any one in anchorage to P&P my heads or do you think I should go and do it my self. I have a good idea on how it is done just never done it.

ADB has gotten me out of a couple tight spots, but like Frozen said, you're gonna pay for it. There are good proven CNC'd heads out there for cheaper than what ADB will charge you.

When you get back up here I'll be long gone, but make sure you get with these guys. They know what's going on with this stuff, and have been helping me with my junk for a couple years.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

as far as porting your own heads there is actually a lot more than just opening up the ports, you have to remove from the right areas and and dont touch certain ones. there is also alot in the valve job that will get you some good gains as well. but if you dont have easy access to a flow bench your just wasting your time. like j millz said you can get into a set of good cnc heads for a lot cheaper than anyone in alaska can port them for. also the 241 heads arent really all that good, i would look for some ls6/243 heads that have a good cnc program done on them.
honestly if your just going for 11's then you shouldnt need heads or spray. a good cam, stall, gears, intake, bolt ons and sticky tires will get you there easily. just make sure they are matched and will compliment each other. if i was shooting for 11's this is the a round about of what i would do. 4.10s, 36-3800 stall, cooler, shift kit, headers, a good exhaust, ls6 intake, a cam somewhere in the low 230 range and around 590-600 lift on a 112 lsa on a mild lobe design, good springs, hd push rods, a ported oil pump, a set of subframes, lower control arms, a good torque arm and some sticky tires. and depending on your duty cycle for your injectors a fuel pump and injectors. with all that i bet it would get you in the mid to low 11's. if you shop around to get some good prices you can get all of that for about 4500 or so.

so hows the car coming along jeremy? hope you get everything sorted before you head back to the real world. any new times yet? oh, i'm getting carters truck now so ill be rolling pretty good, haha. are my parts still sitting at your place? ill get someone to head over and get them if they still are . . . . when are you guys thinking about heading out?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XLR8N
as far as porting your own heads there is actually a lot more than just opening up the ports, you have to remove from the right areas and and dont touch certain ones. there is also alot in the valve job that will get you some good gains as well. but if you dont have easy access to a flow bench your just wasting your time. like j millz said you can get into a set of good cnc heads for a lot cheaper than anyone in alaska can port them for. also the 241 heads arent really all that good, i would look for some ls6/243 heads that have a good cnc program done on them.
honestly if your just going for 11's then you shouldnt need heads or spray. a good cam, stall, gears, intake, bolt ons and sticky tires will get you there easily. just make sure they are matched and will compliment each other. if i was shooting for 11's this is the a round about of what i would do. 4.10s, 36-3800 stall, cooler, shift kit, headers, a good exhaust, ls6 intake, a cam somewhere in the low 230 range and around 590-600 lift on a 112 lsa on a mild lobe design, good springs, hd push rods, a ported oil pump, a set of subframes, lower control arms, a good torque arm and some sticky tires. and depending on your duty cycle for your injectors a fuel pump and injectors. with all that i bet it would get you in the mid to low 11's. if you shop around to get some good prices you can get all of that for about 4500 or so.

so hows the car coming along jeremy? hope you get everything sorted before you head back to the real world. any new times yet? oh, i'm getting carters truck now so ill be rolling pretty good, haha. are my parts still sitting at your place? ill get someone to head over and get them if they still are . . . . when are you guys thinking about heading out?

Car's coming along. It **** a tailshaft bushing and seal over 4th of July and I haven't been back since. I'm in the middle of installing Big Stuff 3 for a little more control over everything. Hopefully I'll be back on the dyno on the 29th, and hit the track again over labor day weekend. I'm gonna hit it with everything no matter what.

I've still got all your stuff, and I leave 1 November. You've got Carter's truck now? What, did he get sick of it?

Quick Reply: looking for help in Alaska