General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

100+ outside yesterday, A/C acted up

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 100+ outside yesterday, A/C acted up

A little concerned here. 98 TA, M6, 93k, stock.
It's been almost 100 degrees out here for the better part of a week. And I've noticed something that has now happened twice to my car.

-I turned the A/C on yesterday on the freeway, the tach NOTICEABLY dropped about 400rpms for a second, and almost seemed to struggle.
-After getting off the freeway and turning the A/C off: the car idled at 1700rpm!!! Usually idles around 900-1k at stop.
-I got the car home, and popped the hood, kept car running. Car still idled at 1500+ rpms. I turned the car off, let it sit for a few minutes, and restarted. Car still idled a little higher, but below 1500rpms. I turned A/C on, and the idle went down to 1k. BUT, A/C made a noticeable "clicking" noise before turning. When turning the A/C off, car made wierd clicking noise, but its coming from the belt somewhere...

This morning i started the car: normal idle, no noise. nothing.

Is the A/C dying??? Any input? Suggestions?

-Charlie
Old 07-20-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Possibly the AC compressor is dying? My SS has a noise when not using the AC and soon as the AC is turned on the noise goes away; I thinkg its the clutch myself...and the car only has 28k
Old 07-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Usually when the A/C compressor is dying it'll drag the rpm's down and sometimes make the engine stall. I'm talking failing like siezing up.

The noises could be that the movable a/c tensioner is bouncing very rapidly, almost vibrating. When they get old they do that. When you turn the A/C "on" it will usually stop becauzse of the added drag to the belt.