Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Are all Fikse FM5s, 3 piece? a few more fikse questions inside...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are all Fikse FM5s, 3 piece? a few more fikse questions inside...

I bought a used set of Fikse FM5s, and the previous owner told me that they are a 3 piece wheel. But after looking at them, they appear to be 2 pieces...I'm not sure though. If I take off the bolts behind the face. How do the pieces break off. The hoop, lip, and face? Also, is there a way to take the center section off to get powdercoated, with out taking the tire off?

Thanks for the help

Patrick.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:39 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Newbie to nice wheels eh?

ALL Fikse wheels are 3-piece. The bolts hold all three pieces together. Front hoop, rear hoop, center. To remove the center, let the air out and remove the bolts. Use some clamps to hold the hoops together afterwards. This works 90% of the time, but sometimes the tire is strong enough to push the hoops apart, requiring a reseal inside.

Make sure your powdercoater knows what he is doing. Overheating the aluminum can change the metallic properties of metal and weaken the wheels.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Newbie to nice wheels eh?

ALL Fikse wheels are 3-piece. The bolts hold all three pieces together. Front hoop, rear hoop, center. To remove the center, let the air out and remove the bolts. Use some clamps to hold the hoops together afterwards. This works 90% of the time, but sometimes the tire is strong enough to push the hoops apart, requiring a reseal inside.

Make sure your powdercoater knows what he is doing. Overheating the aluminum can change the metallic properties of metal and weaken the wheels.
LOL, you know Im used to the ~$1000 and lower wheels. Not to sound like an idiot, but where would I clamp these at? And roughly how many do you need? Thanks for the help Tony.

Patrick.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Junkie

And are you saying that the tire would need to be resealed? Or the wheel?

<--Fikse Noob.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

All the times I have taken my centers off I have the tire removed from the wheel and reseal the barrels. If you take a look on the tech area of ccwheels.com you will see a video of what I'm talking about. Pretty much would be the same with your Fikse wheels.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

What is used to reseal the barrels?
Old 07-19-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

On the CCW's they recommend window sealant/caulking that you get from Home Depot.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
On the CCW's they recommend window sealant/caulking that you get from Home Depot.
Ya, I just watched those videos. Damn good videos. But man, I really dont want to mess with resealing those hoops together LOL.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

It takes some work man it's not just a matter of unbolting the center, powder coating it and bolting it back together. You can try that route but more than likely the seal between the two barrels may "break" and then you will have to deal with leaks. If you want to do it right one time have the tires taken off, take the wheels apart, get the centers coated then follow the video to put everything back together and you should have a leak free wheel.

Remember this is just another option since you mentioned you could send them back to Fikse and let them handle it but I'm assuming you are going to have the tires taken off anyways before you send the wheels?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Man I'm glad mine are already black lol

Quick Reply: Are all Fikse FM5s, 3 piece? a few more fikse questions inside...