Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCI 3500 w 3.73 gears -- Shift point problems

Old 11-17-2003, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCI 3500 w 3.73 gears -- Shift point problems

Anyone here had similar problems? I've had a performance shop install 3.73 gears and a TCI Superstreet fighter 3500 stall. I'm taking the car back to the shop soon as they've stated they would try and get it fixed for me. But I'm wanting to give them a helping hand if anyone else here has the same setup with same problems.

At the drag strip, 1st to 2nd is somewhat ok however at the end of 2nd it hits the rev limiter and will not shift to 3rd unless I get out of it, then punch it again.

What are the shift points needed for this setup?

Also what about downshift points if there is a such? I've noticed if I am doing 50mph and I punch it, it will remain in 3rd rather than downshifting into 2nd like it should. How can I get this resolved??

I have LS1 edit already thru the performance shop. They are going to work on it but if you guys can point us in the right direction I'll pass the information on to them to get me wrapped up

Thanks!!
Old 11-18-2003, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Raben
Anyone here had similar problems? I've had a performance shop install 3.73 gears and a TCI Superstreet fighter 3500 stall. I'm taking the car back to the shop soon as they've stated they would try and get it fixed for me. But I'm wanting to give them a helping hand if anyone else here has the same setup with same problems.

At the drag strip, 1st to 2nd is somewhat ok however at the end of 2nd it hits the rev limiter and will not shift to 3rd unless I get out of it, then punch it again.

What are the shift points needed for this setup?
I have the same combo and with stock cam I had them at 6200/6300/6200, limiter at 6400.

Also what about downshift points if there is a such? I've noticed if I am doing 50mph and I punch it, it will remain in 3rd rather than downshifting into 2nd like it should. How can I get this resolved?
Using LS1 edit you can change the downshift points, 3-2 doesn't bother me but the 4-3 used to.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you programmed the shift points, the best thing to do would be to take your car out and play around with some type of programmer, this will help your car dramatically and is the only way that the proper shift points can be acheived. I had numerous problems when I had my 3.73s put in but I played around with my predator and got them to where I like them. Good Luck man this is a very good combo for street/strip.

WeS
Old 11-18-2003, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Thanks. We'll see what will happen.

I'm going in Saturday to have the shop continue working it. They played with it before but didn't have time to complete. Using LS1 Edit for the tuning. I was wanting to see if anyone else had same problems and what shift points they used so I could give them a heads up so to speak.

And I agree, I love this combo. Runs pretty good and even with the shift points messing up (revs out top of 2nd instead of shifting) I still pulled a 13.0 on street tires. I would imagine on drag radials and these points fixed I should be upper 12s. . .or so I hope
Old 11-23-2003, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

I have the same problem with my 3.73's and LS1edit program. My 3-2 downshifts are set for 64mph and lower and mine will not do a 3-2 downshift at any mph over 55mph. I have taken it back for ls1edit tuning to cure this problem 5 times with no luck. Do you have a Trans-Go shift kit installed? I do and I thought that could be the problem, but have not been able to verify.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Trans Am Kid. . . .nope no shift kit here. I had them retune over the weekend and now it'll downshift into 2nd at 55 but not over that. They bumped the downshift to 62 and still no luck They had it at 67 and it would shift at 60 however before it had time to shift into 3rd it would bounce the rev limiter. So they lowered to 62 and how at 55 it'll shift but not over that.

But overall I'm happy with it. It's working ALOT better than it was before.

Search this Thread