General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Please help diagnose chirp from back of motor only when hot???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Please help diagnose chirp from back of motor only when hot???

Going crazy here with this problem. I recently swapped motors and I'm getting going with the new one, everything is installed now.

A chirping type noise has been present since the install. It sounds like a squeaky belt. AND, it only happens when the motor is hot and at RPMs.... so never when cold, and ALMOST never at idle.

At first I thought it was the belts, changed belts, idle pulley tensioner, problem still exists.

Spun all the accessories, squirted with WD-40, no luck.

I bought a mechanics stethoscope to isolate the problem but no luck. But while using it I realized the sound is coming from the back of the motor (which is just awesome since its so easy to work on back there ). So I thought maybe I have an intake manifold or header leak. Torqued down the headers, loosened and then tightened the FAST 92 again using the specified sequence and not overtightening. Still chirping!! I think that I have a good seal on the MAP sensor, I've held it down tight while revving but still get the chirp.

WTH is going on? What else can I troubleshoot here?! Help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 07-20-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you've got a stick. If so, pilot bearing. If not, you're on your own.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah check it with the clutch in (if it is an m6). I also had a car do this once and it turned out to be the starter gear rubbing on the flywheel. Do you have an aftermarket starter?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, I'll check with the clutch in. I'm using the stock starter.

I should clarify what I said in the OP though, I think the sound is towards the top end of the motor in the back. Possibly a vacuum leak??
Old 07-22-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone else have any ideas? Sounds happens with clutch in or clutch out when I rev. Nothing at idle. Sounds like squeaky belt but its not... noise occurs with belt off.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be a vacuum leak or a bad PCV valve. I have had both cause a high piched whistle that sounded like a squeak. Also, make sure nothing is pinched between the bellhousing and the block that could be causing an input shaft to pilot bearing mis-alignment.

Shane