Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

jgs 50mm wastegate guys

Old 07-20-2009, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default jgs 50mm wastegate guys

ok I'm having a hell of a time getting this thing to hold shut. I pulled the spring and no cracks/broken. everything moves fine and easy with the spring out. even with the boost controller hooked up I can only see 5 psi. turbo is spooling just fine, I can hear the gate open by 3k. it will open at 2.5 or so just off of gate pressure. right about 3k aswell. I got pissed and pull both lines off and it only made 6 psi, again the gate opened about 3k. said to be a 7-8 spring in there.

any one else having a problem with these? is it simpling just a weak spring?

any help would be great. I have a wot tune on it now but dont want to pay for a full tune till I can actually run the boost I want.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

good luck

Last edited by eviltwin_1987; 12-13-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

thanks, I found that eariler ha ha. I'm having a problem with my jgs wastegate. I have a hks ssq or what ever its called, thats working great.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i heard you lose like any where from 1 to 2 pounds if you run an intercooler
Old 07-20-2009, 11:28 PM
11 Second Club

correct, however I see the same number on my boost gauge (manifold pressure) and my tru boost. (compressor housing pressure). which is what the wastegate is getting pressure from. just took it for a ride and saw 2 psi more in cooler air. didnt change a thing with the boost gauge or wastegate.

it didnt spike either, hit 6psi and held till 6k .
Old 07-21-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Im running a JGS 50mm wastegate as well. The heavy "15lbs" spring only managed to make 6lbs on my car running the line from the compressor housing to the bottom port on the gate. It makes it quick and holds steady tho, I added a MBC inline with the line going to the bottom port and can hold a steady 12lbs. I have not tried to go higher yet.

I have tried all 3 springs you usually get with the JGS 50mm, the lightest one made 2lbs, med was only 4, and the heavy was only 6lbs. I asked a local shop about the low boost and was told that was what he saw as well on the ones that he installed.

Are you sure the fire ring is in place between the flanges when the gate was put on? I had another car I was working on that used a Tial 44mm, and when we got the used wastegate we didnt know that here was supposed to be a ring there and would make steady boost, but just not enough based on the springs we tried.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

yeah I have that ring in there. mine is a "7-8" psi spring. I called and talked to lance today. told me that the sping I have is way to weak. he suggested I get a heavy spring, and also a second spring. told me to put the heavy in first, and if thats too much go to the one I have and the second spring. this was after we talked for a good 20 minutes. he asked ?'s about my set-up, we talked back pressure ect.. real nice guy. says the springs are rated for 4 bangers and smaller cubed car. anyways I'll have the springs in a few days and will post results.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by needaz28
I got pissed and pull both lines off and it only made 6 psi.
Does that mean you pulled the reference lines off of the wastegate alltogether? If so, then it should have made ALOT of boost.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:31 AM
11 Second Club

yeah thats what I thought. but it opened up and sounded like a damn jet about 3k. the spring is just to weak to hold I guess.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually end up going to out spring pile at work, this consists of T-netics, tial and others. Last time I used a white T-netics spring in one I think and it made a solid 11 on the spring with the ability to hit 20 with feeding the top of the gate with regulated air.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by needaz28
yeah I have that ring in there. mine is a "7-8" psi spring. I called and talked to lance today. told me that the sping I have is way to weak. he suggested I get a heavy spring, and also a second spring. told me to put the heavy in first, and if thats too much go to the one I have and the second spring. this was after we talked for a good 20 minutes. he asked ?'s about my set-up, we talked back pressure ect.. real nice guy. says the springs are rated for 4 bangers and smaller cubed car. anyways I'll have the springs in a few days and will post results.
What happened, did the new spring fix the boost bleed?

I also have a truck/c6 manifold setup, 76mm turbo, & a JGS 50mm gate. I have been talking with Brian @ JGS and he never said anything about the spring. On their 7# spring my car will only make about 4.5 psi and will bleed off 2-3 psi. I have found and fixed alot of very minor leaks but it just keeps bleeding off. I have just now decided to try a stiffer spring, I hoped this fixed your problem.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought one of these at the PRI show. I hope mine only makes 5 psi and doesn't leak. The CO2 and the AMS 500 should handle the rest.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Ha!! I knew it! I upgraded my kit from a log manifold w/Turbosmart 38mm WG to a tubular kit and JGS 50MM. The behavior mentioned here is EXACTLY what my new kit is doing. Really pissing me off.
  • Took new kit out for a drive. Only got to 5.x psi for a second then dropped to 3.x W...T...F...
  • Went back to house. Put car on ramps. Pulled all cold side piping looking for leaks. Nothing wrong. Reinstalled and took for another drive.
  • Same 5psi to 3psi. Drove back home and up on the ramps. Checking things.
  • Remembering from my first WG w/o boost controller that it peaks then drops PSI, I surmised it might be the WG opening too soon. Pulled lines, blocked compressor feed to WG. Took it for a drive. Alright, that's better. A foot modulated 12psi.
  • Went back home, up on ramps, checking lines to/from boost controller to WG. Noticed tube was not very tight on line from compressor side to WG. Placed small tie wraps on all lines and tightened fully.
  • Plugged in Datamaster and logged run. WTH... MAF readings at 100% throttle will be maxed, the drop to 2xx grams. Phock. The stupid WG is STILL opening at like 5 to 8 psi. Even when opening up the boost controller to max PSI, 8.xx is all I get at peak. Of another annoyance, when it opens, it's dropping like 3psi.
I still have my old Turbosmart, but it has bolt on flanges whereas my JGS has these beautiful v-band flanges. Sigh... I have several springs. I'll give some a try.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Could be mistaken, but if your back pressure is too great it could prematurely open the wastegate. You could trying using the top port on the wastegate so you're using the boost to hold the gate shut. The e-boost manual has some diagrams on how to plumb it either way.

As for the fire ring, can someone explain what it does and how it's installed? I found mine in the box and have no idea where it goes.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Mine works fine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: jgs 50mm wastegate guys