Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What all do I need to complete a D1SC kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default What all do I need to complete a D1SC kit?

Hey guys, I have sort of a newbie question about a D1 procharger and all the necessary components to make it work on my 2001 Trans Am

I'm in a position to buy a low mileage D1SC headunit for 1000 dollars, which i understand to be a pretty good deal.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me a detailed list of everything else that I should look for to make the kit complete. I'm in no hurry to finish the kit, so I can take my time and source things used also.

I'm really wanting to stay about from hacking up my front bumper, so I think I'll stick with the dual intercoolers that procharger uses, unless i can do a front mount without cutting the bumper up (maybe just removing fog lights)

I know most of the things that I will need, I just want to make sure this is a feasible project before i make the purchase.

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mattl31
Hey guys, I have sort of a newbie question about a D1 procharger and all the necessary components to make it work on my 2001 Trans Am

I'm in a position to buy a low mileage D1SC headunit for 1000 dollars, which i understand to be a pretty good deal.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me a detailed list of everything else that I should look for to make the kit complete. I'm in no hurry to finish the kit, so I can take my time and source things used also.

I'm really wanting to stay about from hacking up my front bumper, so I think I'll stick with the dual intercoolers that procharger uses, unless i can do a front mount without cutting the bumper up (maybe just removing fog lights)

I know most of the things that I will need, I just want to make sure this is a feasible project before i make the purchase.

Thanks!
First thing I would do is buy the installation manual. It is a step by step of everything needed to install the complete kit along with instructions for those parts that have to be removed or replaced. It will be the best money you can spend.

You don't need to cut the bumper - just remove it and build a frame bracket that attaches to the same bolts to hang the FMIC on. IMO all FMIC kits should come that way. See pic below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1835930...7602956888623/

If I was to do it over, I would have removed the bumper and built a frame to hang the intercooler on. Even so, a used bumper is easy to find if I ever decide to return to stock. Eventually I will remove my hacked bumper and replace with a frame bracket. A frame bracket has advantages in that you can hang the FMIC and tranny cooler on it as well as a meth pump if you decide to run meth.

Running an FMIC means you will need to open up the front bumper for air. But you will need to do that anyway if you want to run ac and live in a very hot climate. Removing the stock air filter assembley drastically reduces air flow up to and through the AC condenser and into the radiator.

You will need to buy or make a dual fan shroud. The stock fans will not fit.

Build your own aluminum piping if decide on an FMIC. It's lighter and it won't rust inside.

I have a complete ATI 3 1/2 inch pipe kit with Aluminum plenum if you are interested. Or the FMIC pipe steel kit you see in the first pic. Both less than 2000 miles.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
First thing I would do is buy the installation manual. It is a step by step of everything needed to install the complete kit along with instructions for those parts that have to be removed or replaced. It will be the best money you can spend.

You don't need to cut the bumper - just remove it and build a frame bracket that attaches to the same bolts to hang the FMIC on. IMO all FMIC kits should come that way. See pic below.

If I was to do it over, I would have removed the bumper and built a frame to hang the intercooler on. Even so, a used bumper is easy to find if I ever decide to return to stock. Eventually I will remove my hacked bumper and replace with a frame bracket. A frame bracket has advantages in that you can hang the FMIC and tranny cooler on it as well as a meth pump if you decide to run meth.

Running an FMIC means you will need to open up the front bumper for air. But you will need to do that anyway if you want to run ac and live in a very hot climate. Removing the stock air filter assembley drastically reduces air flow up to and through the AC condenser and into the radiator.

You will need to buy or make a dual fan shroud. The stock fans will not fit.

Build your own aluminum piping if decide on an FMIC. It's lighter and it won't rust inside.

I have a complete ATI 3 1/2 inch pipe kit with Aluminum plenum if you are interested. Or the FMIC pipe steel kit you see in the first pic. Both less than 2000 miles.
thanks for your help man PM sent
Old 07-21-2009, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would almost look for a complete kit and sell the headunit later. It is a pain in the butt to piece a kit together in my opinion. I am doing it right now and there is quite a bit involved. It may be because I have never seen one of these mounted before.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:06 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...l?category=193

I have most of the necessary piece parts at the above link, as well as a copy of the installation manual. Bob
Old 07-21-2009, 06:27 AM
10 Second Club

I have the fan for sale

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...-spal-fan.html
Old 07-21-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

I went through this last year myself.
In fact I have the 4.5" twin intercooler setup with all piping and polished aluminum plenum I am getting ready to post up for sale in a couple days. I am just waiting to find out if I will add the radiator hold down I have to the sale or not.

You will need to get the fan shroud from the Procharger kit or as others said make your own. I would avoid the fan from the Procharger kit and go with a Spal 2500 CFM paddle fan, Spal part # 30102082. I have not had any over heating problems yet with this fan here in hot Texas.

An ATI Super damper balancer + pinning kit and the 8 rib crank pulley.

You will need a bracket to mount the head unit to the motor.

ATI Procharger inlet hat or fab up something for the inlet side and a filter.

You will need to upgrade your fuel, I'd recomend Lonnies dual in tank pump kit. You would also need injectors.

I believe I had found a link from EPP's site to download the installation manual, but if you need that PM me an email address and I can send it to you.

Also you will need to modify the cruise control module mount so you can move it out of the way. I also modified my stock horn bracket to rotate them up out of the way. I did not need to buy the procharger kit's relocation brackets for these. If you have AIR still you would need to get rid of it or get the procharger kit's relocation bracket for it.

Last edited by Aster; 07-21-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:21 AM
12 Second Club

I wish I could have bought my headunit for a $1000. Most of them go closer to $2000. If you are patient you can piece together your kit and save yourself some money in the long run.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

AIR is deleted and relocating horns and cruise shouldnt be too difficult.

would the fan shroud be pretty easy to make? im assuming just some sheet aluminum would do the trick.

also...right now im running a 236/238 .598/.603 113 LSA cam, and a 4000 stall.
is this setup going to be completely mismatched? i figure the stall for sure needs to be changed, but hopefully not.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

Is a big cam for it, but when I had the P1SC on my car at less than 9 psi I made 546/503 through a 228/234 (.588/.598 lift) on a 112+2.

You may have to pulley down a little to get the boost back up, but it would work. Wouldn't be ideal necessarily, but it will make power.

For the fan shroud some sheet metal would work and you'd have to cut the tabs onto the sides. Otherwise the upper and lower shroud pieces can be bought for something like $120 from Bob at EPP, that's about what I paid through them.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Aster
Is a big cam for it, but when I had the P1SC on my car at less than 9 psi I made 546/503 through a 228/234 (.588/.598 lift) on a 112+2.

You may have to pulley down a little to get the boost back up, but it would work. Wouldn't be ideal necessarily, but it will make power.

For the fan shroud some sheet metal would work and you'd have to cut the tabs onto the sides. Otherwise the upper and lower shroud pieces can be bought for something like $120 from Bob at EPP, that's about what I paid through them.
im thinking what i'll probably end up doing is going ahead and installing the D1 and running it on a mild 6 lbs since im on the stock bottom end. leave the big cam in it for the time being. then start saving to build my forged motor while running it on the 6 lbs.

im really partial to using the procharger plenum just because im not so crazy about the elbow that you have to use on the FMIC setups (dumb reason, i know lol)

is the lonnies dual setup a boost referenced setup? i remember reading in the procharger install document that they used a boost referenced fuel system.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Regular

is the lonnies dual setup a boost referenced setup? i remember reading in the procharger install document that they used a boost referenced fuel system.
Lonnies basic twin pump has a hobbs switch to turn on the second pump only when you are under boost, but unless you get a setup from him that includes a regulator it won't up the fuel pressure based on boost. It all depends on what you get.

He would really be the one to talk about your plans with the car and he can set you up with a scaleable fuel system plan that can fit your current needs and then you can add to it as you need down the road. Lonnie has great customer service and is real easy to talk to.

im really partial to using the procharger plenum just because im not so crazy about the elbow that you have to use on the FMIC setups (dumb reason, i know lol)
Hehe no I understand the feeling. I really like the way the plenum looks up top. I wish there was an equally good looking method for a front mount setup.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

im thinking what i'll probably end up doing is going ahead and installing the D1 and running it on a mild 6 lbs since im on the stock bottom end. leave the big cam in it for the time being. then start saving to build my forged motor while running it on the 6 lbs.

You won't need dual pumps unless you go for BIG rwhp. So if you already have a Racetronix plug and play that pump will handle your current goal.
Check the Racetronix site for the exact amount of rwhp their pump will support.

However if you don't have a kit yet then dollar wise it would be cheaper to install a dual kit from the get go, but only if you plan to go bigtime on RWHP.

For me personnally just going from 485 rwhp (6-7 lbs) to 565 (8-9 lbs) was enough to convince me that is enough hp on the street. My car is a summer weekend cruiser only.

Note: If your eventual goal is 600 - 700 rwhp + then IMO you will be upping the boost enough for a possible failure on ATI's plenum + the IAT's will be high because of the 3 1/2 inch intercoolers. Long story - short, you will find yourself wishing you had installed an FMIC from the get-go.

I like the looks of my top pipe to the tb compared to when I had the plenum. And it will look even better when the pipe is all one piece right up to the TB. For just the price of the ATI aluminum plenum you can have a very nice polished pipe formed and have money left over.

FMIC

ATI plenum

Old 07-21-2009, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a dual intercooler setup complete with polished alum pleum if you need.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will sell you a six liter Iron block, I think I am going to buy a G8 here shortly and was going to build a 408 for my TA out of it. I may even be parting out my TA including the procharger system, though there is a low chance of that....LOL
Old 07-21-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

There's three sets in one thread.
Is yours 3.5" or 4.5" intercoolers B.Buster?
Old 07-21-2009, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Aster, This is a 3.5" setup. I have all hoses,pipes and clamps with the polished plenum. It is clean, low miles and never seen rain or snow.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

So there are two 3.5" intercooler sets and my 4.5" intercooler set.
Who'd have thought we'd have so much pipe laying around for sale at once.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

haha you guys have all been really helpful. as far as FMIC's go, its really not the tubing that bugs me its the radiator hold down and the hacking of the bumper. the D1 that im looking involves small claims court, along with some drama so hopefully everything pans out.

i think i'll do like aforementioned and do the racetronix in pump along with injectors, as i see my goal being around 475 - 500 whp on around 6 lbs to see if i can stick with the stock bottom end for a while.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

well if you decide to not use the d1 send me a pm I will take it off your hands.

Hane fun in small claims. that doesn't sound like fun

Quick Reply: What all do I need to complete a D1SC kit?