General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A4 Tranny not shifting right please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A4 Tranny not shifting right please help!!!

Ok i have a 2000 z28 a4. Last weekend i went to the track and ran the car. The car is 100% stock only thing is a flowmaster muffler. The first race i ran a camaro that blew my doors off...second pass i ran a GT500 Shelby and i was doing pretty good for a little while then suddenly my transmission failed to shift from 2nd to 3rd it just redlined crazy i had to brake and let off the gas. I threw it in neutral and back in drive and floored it again and same thing. I parked the car for about 45 minutes. Then i ran it again and basically i got 3 passes before it did it to me again so the rest of the day i had to let the car cool down and then it would run good for 2 passes or 3 then again the tranny would not shift into 3rd. Could this mean i need a rebuild? Someone told me that maybe its getting to hot...i checked tranny fluid and its good level and not burned...Please respond i would appreciate it Thanks Guys.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it's getting hot alright. I'm really amazed that you would continue trying to run the car knowing you have a problem!

#1. Get a good tranny cooler.
#2. Get the tranny flushed before you kill it completely.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your tranny sounds like its just overheating. These trannys dont last under heat, get a good sized cooler and see what that does for you. You will definitly need one if you decide to get a bigger stall in the future.