Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Edelbrock Elbow

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edelbrock Elbow

Has anyone used an Edelbrock low profile elbow. Does it clear the cowl like the intakeelbows.com elbow. I am getting ready to do a Vic Jr on my car.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it will choke your motor those elbows suck get a intakeelbows.com one
Old 07-22-2009, 10:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nastychevelle
it will choke your motor those elbows suck get a intakeelbows.com one

Nasty, got any data to support this claim? Even if it were the restriction(only the ultra-low profiles are at all btw)....it's a FI motor...and once it's pressurized, all bets are pretty much off.

I'm looking forward to your data to support your claim though! What did you get on the flowbench vs a intakeelbows.com setup?
Old 07-22-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also, two things to think bout.

If you creat a restriction that causes a pressure rise, as the air passes through the restriction it expands as it moves to teh low pressure side and gets colder because of the expansion.

Second......ever see a power plate that is on almost every turbo buick on the planet by now? It appears to be a HUGE restriction but in every case the car goes quicker....huh.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Launching!

I was thinking of doing the low profile not the ultra low. It looks about the same measurements as the intakeelbows.com one. I like the idea of a cast piece.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:27 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by YSILT1
I was thinking of doing the low profile not the ultra low. It looks about the same measurements as the intakeelbows.com one. I like the idea of a cast piece.
I like the divider they put in the Edelbrok units. It seems to split the airflow better to the cylinders(at least in the flowbench testing that Edelbrock posted on here a while back). Regardless, get what works in your setup man.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

I have an intakeelbows.com elbow, and would trade it in a heartbeat for an edelbrock one. I want one that doesn't rub the hood or make me have to cut on the cowl.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Launching!

Does anyone know then if the low profile one fits the cowl or do I need the ultra low profile one.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:55 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by YSILT1
Does anyone know then if the low profile one fits the cowl or do I need the ultra low profile one.

The ultra low fits with no modifications whatsoever and clears stock hoods. The low profile is REALLY close to the metal part of the cowl facing forward, but i think you'll run into hood clearance issues. the high flow profile will require ALOT of cutting. I run the low profile backwards with the cowl cut back and re-fabricated.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Nasty, got any data to support this claim? Even if it were the restriction(only the ultra-low profiles are at all btw)....it's a FI motor...and once it's pressurized, all bets are pretty much off.

I'm looking forward to your data to support your claim though! What did you get on the flowbench vs a intakeelbows.com setup?
these are what i was referring to

https://ls1tech.com/forums/10634828-post7.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/10660153-post19.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/10660796-post23.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/10668160-post28.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/11216234-post64.html
Originally Posted by n20z28
ok guys i like this thread... so bought a vic jr and edel elbow it killed my car. at the time my built heads cam 346 dynoed 360hp 306 tq .. i see now where it all went (in the elbow)... but one other problem i had... when tuning them to 12.5 to 13 to 1 they were fine ran great... but over time they kill plugs. and went rich... almost like they were developing vacuum leaks? has anyone had this problem? i tried this on two diff cars and both of them had same problem.. i was ready to throw this thing in trash... so do u guys think i should buy another elbow or throttle body and will fix my problem and pick up hp over my ls6 this time on my current set up in my sig... i really hate to throw any more money into this paper weight.. unless it works this time
Old 07-22-2009, 02:06 PM
9 Second Club

[QUOTE=nastychevelle;11947782]these are what i was referring to

You used this guys results for three of your refrences, so i'll make it simpler and just reply to it all at once. They are speaking about an ultra-low, not a low. Two different animals with very different cfm flow rates. The OP was not asking about a ultra-low. Again, no real data other than a claim of 90hp improvement. If you think a 500rwhp picked up 90rwhp just from a elbow restriction....I have a shamwow to sell you. MAYBE if we're talking a 1800rwhp car, but that's just completely unrealistic to be THAT huge of a restriction. Remember that was not a FI car either. I do not doubt however, that the ultra low did not perform as well as the intakeelbows.com version. They are not an even comparison. Try comparing a low profile version to the intakeelbows.com one though. Much more comprable in my opinion. But, opinions are worthless right?

That's an opinion with no supported research. No different than you saying that.

Any elbow does that, the edelbrock just has a divider to better ditribute the airflow. If anything, the Edelbrock is the better option according to that quote. This post was also a opinion, not data.

Let's throw some real data out there to inspire this thread a little. Lets throw out the window that this is FI and not a Na/nitrous application(even though that should be a major point).

Pure CFM rates and air-flow charachteristics:
From Jason@Edelbrock:
Originally Posted by jasonsny
The divider is in the elbow to appropriate the air in the plenum. These were engineered using computational fluid dynamics to look at airflow distribution. Air will follow the path of least resistance and without the divider the air will push to the back of the elbow and back of the intake.

Is it restrictive? Sure, kind of. This elbow will flow less air than the taller versions; we engineered it to flow as much air as possible while providing hood clearance - flow is 860cfm @ 20.5" h2o . Our taller versions flow more air; #3848 (950 cfm) and 3849 (1,050 cfm) with a 90mm throttle body.

Ultimately if you are pressurizing the intake manifold, your air distribution shouldn't be an issue. And again, the divider actually helps the airflow and distribution.

If you can get away with a taller version (hood change) than you will be able to flow more air and make more power with the mid or tall versions.

Now, let's see some pretty pictures to support his claim of air distribution:
Originally Posted by jasonsny
I cannot answer that question with any difinitive data. At 19 psi, when you go into boost that intake should be pressurized and pushing air through all runners.

The links below are actual cfd images of one of our new elbows with and without a divider; the difference is very clear.

I wonder how well that sheetmetal one is doing of distributing air....Particularly in a NA application.

ok guys i like this thread... so bought a vic jr and edel elbow it killed my car. at the time my built heads cam 346 dynoed 360hp 306 tq .. i see now where it all went (in the elbow)... but one other problem i had... when tuning them to 12.5 to 13 to 1 they were fine ran great... but over time they kill plugs. and went rich... almost like they were developing vacuum leaks? has anyone had this problem? i tried this on two diff cars and both of them had same problem.. i was ready to throw this thing in trash... so do u guys think i should buy another elbow or throttle body and will fix my problem and pick up hp over my ls6 this time on my current set up in my sig... i really hate to throw any more money into this paper weight.. unless it works this time
I see the above in bold as a concern for me just as much as the intake being a restriction. Sounds to me something wasn't set up right(maybe a vacuum leak somehow??) His problems suck indeed! I am happy he got them sorted out! If I were building a N/a or nitrous motor(which his screen name implies), there is no way I'd run a elbow of any sort, it would definately have a card style accufab or the likes and a hat-filter for street cruising.

Last edited by tim99ws6; 07-22-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 07-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Launching!

Also Wilson claims the dividers help when I chatted with them on the phone. They say that they actually build up the inside of the manifold to get the same results as the divider. It is a must on Boosted applications to get even cylinder flow. This is what Wilsons told me.

So I just ordered the low profile elbow. Will let everyone know how it fits and works. I have a older WS6 hood so hood clearance should not be a problem. If it is its only like 100 bucks so who cares.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't know if this helps or if anyone cares, but used the ultra low profile edelbrock on a Fi 408 and made close to 900rwhp prior to injector/beltslip/intercooler restriction/ issues.
Cleared a stock SS hood with no mods.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

I have a ultra low profile edelbrock new in the box if someone wants it. 50bux plus shipping.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:10 PM
Launching!

PM me and we can arrange payment. That way I can do both on my dyno.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Well we will see how the ultra low does on saturday. I will post some results from my FI setup.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:16 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

subscribed.. Id like to see real world back to back comparison results with no other changes besides the elbow. No dyno tricks or tuning cheating either! lol My bet is on very negligible differences
Old 07-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Launching!

I agree with you on the differences. Well atleast in FI applications. I wish I had the other elbow, I would gladly test the 2.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dang, I just bought the Ultra Low for my GTO. lol.
Please follow thru with your test. I'm really interested in the results.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Elbow