Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

stb vs fast

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stb vs fast

Im not sure if this belongs in this section or the external engine section. I decided to put my strut tower bar back on the car. The only difference being that the car has a fast 90 on it. Here is the thing....the bar is like 1/8" if not slightly less away from the top of the intake . Now is this normal? Will i have any issues with the intake hitting the bar when the motor torques over?
Old 07-22-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

what brand stb you got? I've still got my ls6 and my umi clears it greatly
Old 07-23-2009, 08:33 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 7camaro7
Its a BMR.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:34 AM
12 Second Club

so in 37 views no one on here has a fast intake with a STB?
Old 07-24-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by badaSS346
Its a BMR.
saw a pic of another members bmr over a non-recallable intake and it looked really close so I think its a bmr thing. I've got quite a bit of space under mine.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the STB off. It does not help at all. Our cars have shocks, which do not present as much of a load as struts. Even if you argue that STBs help for cars with struts (like my G8), that's bupkis for your car. It just adds weight.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

FWIW I have a Fast Intake and an LG 3 Point STB. I had to leave the STB off after upgrading the intake. The clearance wasn't enough for me to feel safe, like 1/8 to 1/16 of an inch. To close for comfort. No more STB for me.

It was sort of a PITA anyways everytime I wanted to work on anything I had to take it off. I'll manage to live without it.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Take the STB off. It does not help at all. Our cars have shocks, which do not present as much of a load as struts. Even if you argue that STBs help for cars with struts (like my G8), that's bupkis for your car. It just adds weight.
It helped my car... I have about a centimeter or a little over 1/2 an inch clearance. On my car it is definitely worth more than its weight.

Last edited by 7camaro7; 07-24-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

It helped my car... I have about a centimeter or a little over an inch clearance. On my car it is definitely worth more than its weight.
What did it help with, and how did you determine it?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Firstly, I determined it by the before and after driving.

It may be important to consider my car is a convertible and I've done other suspension and chassis mods before the stb.

I already had sfcs, matched sway bars, panhard, lcasw/brackets, and the same tires before mounting the stb as after.

I noticed noticeably less understeer. I guess it keeps my front tires planted better throughout spirited driving on curves. I get less of that, on the edge of understeer wobble, and I can take familiar curves even faster. It felt like it complimented my sway bars when driving on the highway because when making aggressive lane changes the car stays even flatter. Steering response feels better, mainly on the highway. It aided in making my car feel smaller to drive. It feels more nimble. It weighs 4lbs, is easy to install, and definitely worth is weight when considering a gallon of gas weighs a little over 6lbs a gal.

If it wasn't there, I'd notice.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Firstly, I determined it by the before and after driving.

It may be important to consider my car is a convertible and I've done other suspension and chassis mods before the stb.

I already had sfcs, matched sway bars, panhard, lcasw/brackets, and the same tires before mounting the stb as after.

I noticed noticeably less understeer. I guess it keeps my front tires planted better throughout spirited driving on curves. I get less of that, on the edge of understeer wobble, and I can take familiar curves even faster. It felt like it complimented my sway bars when driving on the highway because when making aggressive lane changes the car stays even flatter. Steering response feels better, mainly on the highway. It aided in making my car feel smaller to drive. It feels more nimble. It weighs 4lbs, is easy to install, and definitely worth is weight when considering a gallon of gas weighs a little over 6lbs a gal.

If it wasn't there, I'd notice.

i agree with you completely, i have the hotchkis bar and it is a big improvement. with crappy tires, you really notice how much more rigid the car is (the crappy tires want to slide now.) its the same concept as a subframe connector. it strengthens the body to reduce chassis flex. I wouldnt get rid of my brace for anything
Old 07-24-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

oh and if you have 1/8 it might touch it slightly but it should be no big deal, assuming you have good motor mounts and such.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
i agree with you completely, i have the hotchkis bar and it is a big improvement. with crappy tires, you really notice how much more rigid the car is (the crappy tires want to slide now.) its the same concept as a subframe connector. it strengthens the body to reduce chassis flex. I wouldnt get rid of my brace for anything
Exactly, now I feel the need to get 4 stickier tires. When starting to slide theres two feelings. Not sliding and then slight-max slide lol. It doesn't come out of nowhere though. You just don't get that wobble when you're about to slide.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Teching In

i gotta spohn stb and a fast intake and have plenty of room. couple of inches at least
Old 07-27-2009, 07:52 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
We have a few vehicles with that intake and STB combo and our STB has plenty of clearance. Below shows you what I am explaining.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...ukkbd4lbkq0ak7

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 07-27-2009, 08:02 AM
12 Second Club

Another thing to mention is that my car has poly motor mounts which supposedly raise the motor ever so slightly but it may be what is causing my problem.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JuicyJay
i gotta spohn stb and a fast intake and have plenty of room. couple of inches at least
You wouldnt happen to have any pictures that you could share? I noticed in your sig that you had poly mounts too and just wanna see how much space you got.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:09 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
We have a few vehicles with that intake and STB combo and our STB has plenty of clearance. Below shows you what I am explaining.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...ukkbd4lbkq0ak7

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Non of the pictures in your link are with a Fast 90 intake. Also, I have been waiting for Ryan to send my some measurements of your bar before I decide what brand to buy. I give you guys a call by the end of the day if he doesnt get back to me before then.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:10 AM
FormerVendor

No Problem feel free to give me a call and I will be more than glad to help! We will be here until 4:30 EST
Thanks
Brad
Old 08-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by badaSS346
You wouldnt happen to have any pictures that you could share? I noticed in your sig that you had poly mounts too and just wanna see how much space you got.
He is correct about there being a couple inches of room with the Spohn STB. With the stock LS6 intake I could fit my fist under it. I dont have a FAST setup yet but I do have poly mounts and its not even close to touching.

Quick Reply: stb vs fast