General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

P0171 code

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default P0171 code

I have a P0171 error code on the 01 TA. It says Fuel Trim Bank 1, system too lean. I searched and found that many say it could be a vacuum leak, but I can't find any pictures of the likely spots. Can someone post pictures of the hoses/tubes that might leak?

Also, just for fun, I'm going to change my fuel filter tonight, just in case it's that. I haven't done it since I've owned the car so it won't hurt anyway.

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-25-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, an update to this. I changed the fuel filter, reset the code, and have driven it about 70 miles since then. The light hasn't come back on yet, so hopefully I'm good to go.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oddly enough, this 0171 code came back recently (yeah, just before my inspection was due, argh!). I am also throwing an 0420 code, which it seems most say is probably the 02 sensor. I'm going to change the sensor and see where I end up.

As I mentioned before, I changed my fuel filter and that fixed the problem last time, but I can't imagine that I have a clogged fuel filter already! I've only driven it probably 1500 miles or so since then.

The only thing I've changed on it was chaning my exhaust from a Super Turbo to an UltraFlow. The 0420 code threw before I did it, though. I don't recall seeing the 0171 code before that, but maybe I missed it.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-03-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

your correct. The filter has nothing to do with your lean issue because it would have happened on both sides. The front O2 however will completely jack the trims on that one bank. Changing the sensor should fix your problem
Old 06-10-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, so an update and more trouble

I changed my driver's side front 02 sensor. I used a Denso sensor since it was half the price of the Delco one. After I changed it, I started the car up and let it run for a minute. The Check Engine light stayed on, so I plugged my tuner in and checked the codes. PO171 was still there as well as another, PO170 I believe. It was one indicating that bank 2 was also lean. P0420 was now gone, though. I cleared the codes and drove it around for a while. The light came back on within 15 or 20 miles and is only throwing the PO171 code right now.

So now what!?!

Not sure if it matters in this case, but I did change a couple pipes on my exhaust before I changed the sensor. I went from a Dynomax Super Turbo to an UltraFlow, so it's more free flowing. Could that have caused these codes to fly?
Old 06-11-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, so last night I looked around for any vacuum leaks around the intake, spraying liberal amounts of TB cleaner on it. The idle didn't change at all, so I'm guessing that's not the problem.

I also cleaned my TB since I had it apart to check my MAF sensor. I also cleaned the MAF sensor and screen with MAF sensor cleaner. There was some crap on my screen, but nothing on the MAF itself that I could tell.

Afterall that I started it up and let it run. The code remained, so I cleared it (wasn't sure if it would clear itself) and let it idle for about 10 or 15 minutes, occasionally revving it. The code hasn't come back on yet, but I want to drive it before I make any assumptions about it being fixed.

The problem right now is that it's out of inspection since it started throwing codes just days before I was going to get it inspected.

Makes ya sick, doesn't it?
Old 06-11-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am running a friend through this right now. look at the sticky for trouble codes scroll down to where someone left a comment about gearchatter or something like that and check their site for the trouble code. it will run through some steps to try to correct the problem
Old 06-11-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it happent to my camaro also, does your car hard to crank some time ? if it does fuel pump might be out.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't think I've noticed it cranking hard.

So here's the latest. I drove the car around for a bit and the code didn't come back, so I got it inspected. At least that's done. Now I've driven it probably 200 miles since the inspection and, hey, guess what!... the SES light came back this morning while I was sitting on a hill at a stop light. P0420 this time. I'm thinking about just taking it to a dealer and asking them to diagnose the problem.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: P0171 code