Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E40 ECM and trying to get tacho signal

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E40 ECM and trying to get tacho signal

Howdy, I have a supercharged Ls2 in a landcruiser ute and am having trouble finding a signal to recalibrate the original tacho in the cruiser. There are 3 settings in the tune for the tacho signal- serial, crank and frequency. Our custom tune is using HP Tuners. Has anyone had experience with the E40 for setting tune for tacho signal? Cheers Russ
Old 07-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Launching!

Exclamation

i normaly use the tac from the ecu, or one of the negative cables from one of the eight coils.
from one of the coils should work for you. im not sure what to set the tuner to. just try them all. you cant break anything.
Chris
Old 07-22-2009, 06:54 PM
Banned

We have tried the coil and could not seem to get something decent to work with. We tried negative trigger, ground black and mistery brown. Pink is positive. We have also tried serial and crank on the computer tune. Crank apparently works for the E38 computer but does not work for the E40. The instrument recalibrator and I are pulling our hair out and I have to go to my tuner to change it every time. Thought I might get some ideas on here. We will try frequency this time of course. Chris, We could not understand why the neg trigger did not work. Cheers Russell
Old 07-23-2009, 02:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls2 cruiser
We have tried the coil and could not seem to get something decent to work with. We tried negative trigger, ground black and mistery brown. Pink is positive. We have also tried serial and crank on the computer tune. Crank apparently works for the E38 computer but does not work for the E40. The instrument recalibrator and I are pulling our hair out and I have to go to my tuner to change it every time. Thought I might get some ideas on here. We will try frequency this time of course. Chris, We could not understand why the neg trigger did not work. Cheers Russell
A pull-up resistor to a 12V supply is often required for aftermarket tachos and GM ECM's, but then again have heard that some Toyotas use PWM - Pulse Width Modulated tacho signals.

FYI - EFI live shows the tacho as "crank" on E40's, and as you know HPT shows is as "frequency". Wonder who is right, or maybe they mean the same thing. Whatever, something should be coming out the tacho pin on the E40.

In E38's from VZ on, the tacho output is hi for 15 crank pulses and low for 15, which is 1/4 of a crank rotation each. Maybe E40 needs to be adjusted for a longer pulse than 2 hi/lo would give.

Last edited by rsz288; 07-23-2009 at 02:59 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:26 AM
Banned

Yes we noticed that EFI live and Hp tuners had different opinions so we swapped it around to the opposite of what it was which I think was serial. I cant exactly remember. It did not work anyway. The one we have not tried is HP tuners frequency. We have tried HP tuners serial and crank. The instrument calibrator is using an oscilloscope to measure and I dont have any experience with scopes or tuning. The E40 is not used much in Australia for mods because a lot of people change back to the ls1 ecm and cable throttlebody. I used the electronic throttlebody. Sideshow performance wiring who made my loom for the cruiser have just wired a E40 into a nissan and they have set the tacho signal on the tune to frequency. It will be interesting to see if the nissan tacho will work after recalibration. My tacho being x diesel may be pulse width modulation - what ever that means. I think it ran off the fuel pump somehow.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:28 AM
Banned

Yes we noticed that EFI live and Hp tuners had different opinions so we swapped it around to the opposite of what it was which I think was serial. I cant exactly remember. It did not work anyway. The one we have not tried is HP tuners frequency. We have tried HP tuners serial and crank. The instrument calibrator is using an oscilloscope to measure and I dont have any experience with scopes or tuning. The E40 is not used much in Australia for mods because a lot of people change back to the ls1 ecm and cable throttlebody. I used the electronic throttlebody. Sideshow performance wiring who made my loom for the cruiser have just wired a E40 into a nissan and they have set the tacho signal on the tune to frequency. It will be interesting to see if the nissan tacho will work after recalibration. My tacho being x diesel may be pulse width modulation - what ever that means. I think it ran off the fuel pump somehow. If my tacho is pwm can we get it to work?
Old 07-23-2009, 02:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

see this link,
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...k-e40-ecm.html

Quick Reply: E40 ECM and trying to get tacho signal