Potential New Event - Street Car Race Brainstorm...

Old 07-23-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Potential New Event - Street Car Race Brainstorm...

I’m trying to come with ideas/rules around how to put together a race for REAL street cars (similar to TMS but at a real drag strip). Something that people can bring DD's and modified pump gas cars to and have some fun. I know there are some like me, just tired of making time trials, don’t really care for the street racing scene much, and not a bracket racing fan. I like good ole heads up and would like to have a reoccurring race for similar folks that can compete competitively. I’m not trying to mock the TMS event; I think they have the right idea.

Don’t want drag cars, no cash day’s cars, no True Street guys, something on a smaller scale so everyone can compete.

Would this be something that some would be interested in? If you had the chance to have input on rules/winnings/how the race is run, etc what would you do?

I think if we went with arm drop/instant green and must be a drag radial tire, that would weed out a lot of the drag cars we wouldn’t want in the race (no offense drag only guys).

Want a fun and competitive event with a good showing, curious if you guys have any ideas or interest in something like that.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arm drops are popular but I'm not a fan. My car's not as fast as most (12.95 PB) so I'll almost always get outrun on a heads up race. That's why I only race brackets.

I do like the street car races with required registration, insurance, state inspections and road tours before the first tt. That rules out anything that's not truely streatable.

I also like that Super Chevy makes opening the hood and fuel door out of the question.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 91RS383
I also like that Super Chevy makes opening the hood and fuel door out of the question.
I havent heard of that, is that so you cant change things or work on the car before you race?
Old 07-23-2009, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

The fuel door thing is to make sur the cars can handle the 30-40 mile round trip and 3 drag passes without running out of gas, any street car should be able to do that.

The hood is so that again you can handle the tour and drag strip without overheating or breaking, kind of like an endurance test that any true street car should have no problem with. There was a car on power tour a couple of years back that ran low 7s in the 1/4 but he had to cut off his blower belt everytime he road triped then installed a new one at each track. Not a fair for a real street car.

At Super Chevy True Street the only change you can make after the road trip is opening nitrous bottles that are accesable from the driver's compartment. No opening the trunk, no battery charging, no hosing down the radiator, etc.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used to just go down to Kennedale on street legal night. It's still thursdays i'm pretty sure. Usually not too many people out there, and you can have unlimited passes for like $15. It's only 1/8 though
Old 07-23-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I and most of LSM would be down for something of this sort. Almost all of us daily drive our cars.

The only thing I don't care for is the DR's only idea. Thats fine for autos, but I run bias DOT tires at the track.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
I and most of LSM would be down for something of this sort. Almost all of us daily drive our cars.

The only thing I don't care for is the DR's only idea. Thats fine for autos, but I run bias DOT tires at the track.
Yeah it seems you guys have a pretty good following, that would be good. Thats really what Im aiming for, DD or pump gas modified cars. DR could include any DOT tire, which is what I was actually thinking when I was typing it.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like a plan, although my car has no ac, i still drove it everywhere and i drove to and from track. depends on what people perceive as "street" car.
if it includes driving to and from track and a trip, whatever. then i see no prob seeing as how mine was fine, and even with a mech fan. and carb.,
Old 07-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Teching In

I totally agree with something like ur talking about...I ran at the TMS the other week...I was in the black ta with silver stripes...We had a blast...Only thing that sucked is they were pissed at us for doing a stand still burnout on the asphalt...I was like well hell???..No big deal...I did a crappy burnout and spun my azz off...

Back to the race though...It is a hell of a concept...The TMS did advise though that they will have 8 different classes next year during the summer agian...That will be interesting to see...

COme up with a location....Me and 5 others are down
Old 07-23-2009, 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

Instead of DR's only you could say either

A: no trailers, street legal tires and run on the tires you drove in on

or

B: street legal tires must be run for the cruise and no changes after the road portion.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stroked96Bowtie
Yeah it seems you guys have a pretty good following, that would be good. Thats really what Im aiming for, DD or pump gas modified cars. DR could include any DOT tire, which is what I was actually thinking when I was typing it.
Sounds like a winner to me.

Something like this could rotate around various tracks in the area if it is done once/month. If you're wanting a weekly deal, then it would be better to set up at one track.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Teching In

This sounds interesting. I bet I could get a couple of guys to come out with me in their daily drivers depending upon where this event is held. Keep us posted...
Old 07-25-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm in for whatever!

Search this Thread