Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

need help with struts please?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with struts please?

I have a 98 camaro ss..I have lowering spings to put on front but how the hell do i get the old struts off the car?????? I loosened the 4 bolts up top and used spring commpressers but they dont seem to give enough pull..I know im doing something wrong please help..or post me some pics so i can get the old ******* off..I put lowering springs in back my car looks really funny lol with back dropped but i cant do the front lol please help thanks>>>>>>>>
Old 07-23-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just a tip. Search this section under the name TheBlueKnight. He has a wonderful video showing the proces to replace shocks and springs all over the car.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to get as many coils of the spring in the compressor as you can and it takes a lot of compressing to get them loose. Its a ton of work doing the fronts. I just replaced my shocks and that was a pain.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you see where the shock is connected to the a-arm? There are 2 bolts down there you need a 15mm and 13mm socket because you to turn them both at once. But before you do this you need to disconnect the sway bar endlinks and separate the spindle from the upper control arm, they are connected by the upper ball joint.

Check out this article on LS1HowTo.com, it should make your life a bit easier.

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=6
Old 07-24-2009, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

So you have a spring compressor w/ the shock and spring still on the car? Either read the how-tos or take it to someone before you hurt yourself or others.

And you have shocks and springs, not struts.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Note that you need to be REALLY careful removing the nut off of the top of the shock to get the mount off. They rust so badly on these cars. Do what you can to remove as much of the rust as you can before you try and get that nut off. I had a hard time with it on my sister's T/A the first time I tried it and I split the top of the shock shaft open a little bit (fortunately it didn't go down deep to make anything unusable!)

Other than that, others have pretty much nailed it. You need to remove the sway bar links and the upper ball joint. You'll want a ball joint puller; I use the 2-jaw one as opposed to the fork when I can, but I think either will work in this application. Put a jackstand under the knuckle as far out as possible as you do that because it WILL come flying down once that ball joint is released.

The car must be on jack stands not just for safety but so you can use your jack to help position the knuckle when you are reinstalling everything.

Also, you need to make sure you get the spring lined up correctly before you put the upper mount back on, because you will not be able to adjust it later. You need the shock mounting holes to line up.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

The upper ball joint does not have to be removed from the car. Just the spindle needs disconnected from the ball joint. After removing the castle nut, I just used a hammer, tapped the spindle on either side of the ball joint shaft, then tapped the shaft of the upper joint upwards. After a few thwacks it popped free.

The tougher part is keeping the weight of the spindle from stressing the lower ball joint. I took all the brake hardware off (caliper, caliper bracket, and rotor) to remove the weight from the spindle. Used a coat hanger wire to hang the caliper so it wouldn't stress the rubber brake line.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
The upper ball joint does not have to be removed from the car. Just the spindle needs disconnected from the ball joint. After removing the castle nut, I just used a hammer, tapped the spindle on either side of the ball joint shaft, then tapped the shaft of the upper joint upwards. After a few thwacks it popped free.

The tougher part is keeping the weight of the spindle from stressing the lower ball joint. I took all the brake hardware off (caliper, caliper bracket, and rotor) to remove the weight from the spindle. Used a coat hanger wire to hang the caliper so it wouldn't stress the rubber brake line.
You don't need to go through all of that trouble. Just stick something under the rotor to hold the whole thing up so that the brake line is not stressed.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

I hope it was obvious that I/we didn't mean to fully remove it, but yes, that is true I don't see a need in removing the brake stuff...
Old 07-24-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
You don't need to go through all of that trouble. Just stick something under the rotor to hold the whole thing up so that the brake line is not stressed.
True... I was replacing my rotors anyway so that's why I had that stuff off.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
So you have a spring compressor w/ the shock and spring still on the car? Either read the how-tos or take it to someone before you hurt yourself or others.

No Kiddin!!!

The amount of "over-enthusiasm" and "under-knowledge" on this forum sometimes amazes me........
Old 07-25-2009, 04:47 PM

Default thanks alot everyone

thanks 4 the quick replies really helpfull...My car is looking level again lol..thanks again everyone..

Quick Reply: need help with struts please?