Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Groove in balancer/crank pulley....ok?

Old 07-24-2009, 07:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow Groove in balancer/crank pulley....ok?

So I just took a look at the balancer going on this vette ls1 and theres some nice grooves in looks like where the seal will ride, but looks like it was machined and not from a seal riding on it, but maybe it is. Should there be any kind of groove in the balacer where the seal rides or should it be smooth and flat? A pic would be great I dont want to put it together and then have to pull the steering rack just to change the balancer again..
thanks
Old 07-24-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's fairly common on both crankshaft balancers and pinion yokes. I know it's hard to believe soft rubber can cut metal If it's a deep groove it will need to be replaced. Minor grooves will work as long as you use a quality new seal and clean up the sealing surface of the balancer with some emery cloth.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just showed the mechanic from East coast supercharging while pickin up an oil pump and I saw another one there and yea mine had no oil there or somethin...It almost looks like it was machined on a lathe, I seen em bad on my stang motor but this was 10x worse...anyway he hooked me up with a good used balancer so I'm good to go

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Groove in balancer/crank pulley....ok?