Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HID wiring with H3 projector headlamps (camaro)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HID wiring with H3 projector headlamps (camaro)

I'm having trouble getting my HID (H3 bulb) headlights to light up. I bought the dual CCFL halo projector headlamps for the camaro and the halos are wired properly. As far as the HID system, the bulbs are mounted, but I'm not sure about a couple of things. The normal H3 bulbs have one wire from the bulb, and the other from a metal tab on the back of them, and those wires lead into a female connector where the stock male connector fits in to control the lights.

On the HID's, the back of the bulb, there are two wires that each have a connector coming from the bulb which plug into the ballast. Now, does that mean they are already grounded, or do I still need to run a wire from the tab to a ground somewhere?

Also, there are these relay wiring harnesses that were included. I'm not sure if these are necessary, but if they are, could someone explain to me where they connect to?

For what it's worth these are Xentec slim ballast HID kits. Thanks so much!
Old 07-24-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You just need to connect the two connectors on the bulbs to the ballast. Nothing else is necessary.

Bear in mind, if the HIDs don't turn on, you may need to plug the ballast into the car's headlight harness "backwards" - GM in their wisdom wired the plugs backwards from standard (nice of them). Just FYI.

There are no relays with Xentec kits (I have the same kit). They included some random wires but why I'm not sure. They aren't necessary.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man! The bulbs were connected, but I had the connector backward...thanks GM! The bulbs look great, now I just have to make sure the projectors are aligned properly so I don't blind everyone...again thanks!

Quick Reply: HID wiring with H3 projector headlamps (camaro)