Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What cam for a vortech blower in dragster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What cam for a vortech blower in dragster?

I have a dragster with PRC2.5 heads and a magic stick 3 in a dragster which runs 9.10's at our altitude and I have a vortech S-trim blower that I put on my Yukon and I was going to put it on the dragster. I'm doing this mainly because I have the blower and it will cost very little to do it.

I know it's a small blower, it produced 11lbs on my trucks 5.7 and I figure maybe 6 with this setup. I know the M3 cam is not a good choice so what would you guys recommend?

I figure the stall will increase to 5500 with the blower, she shifts at 6600 and crosses the traps at 6600.

I was also going to replace the rods, bearings and rings at the same time, so if anyone has recommended parts for that too I would be very grateful.

Lee
Old 07-24-2009, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

question about the dragster... how much does it weigh, thats crazy how fast it is for a basically stock motor
Old 07-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Not sure. It's an old one, built in 94 and it's failry long for the HP we have. It also has dual batteries. I'm guessing it's about 1800 to 1900 pounds.

Our DA here in the summer is around 7500 feet, it was 6800 when it ran the 8.95. We will hit the Halloween Classic in Boise this fall and I figure it will drop 2-3 tenths. The engine has 72K miles on it! I think more people should consider this engine for their dragsters, cheap and easy and runs pump gas! There are a bunch of dragsters running slower with a whole lot more money in them....

Old 07-25-2009, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Id say compstar rods maybe The H-I rod. Im running them only little more money /new valves springs let the engine rev to 7k. new pistons if doing the rods and rings Then just put the Supercharger on and run it. I would keep the cam if cutting corners. But if your looking for every last HP then switch the cam cause the S trim is a little weak so your would want to hold a little more boost in. new Cam maybe 234/240 on 116 lSA

But with the light weight and how fast your going already thats all i would do. Rough guess you could pick up about 40 % more power and would max out the s trim on a 346CI at about 7k

Last edited by BigRich954RR; 07-25-2009 at 02:41 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

it also depends on how much money you want in this build, bottom end wise. If you beat the hell out of the car on a weekly basis, and want it to hold up, I would get all I could afford, so I wasnt replacing things right and left.

Oliver makes some billet rods that are strong as hell, for around $1200, iirc.
Manley, Callies and Lunati are a few other good ones too.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Teching In

I dont want to spend a ton, since the blower will make minimul boost the power levels should be resonable.

I see plenty of cam recommendations for heavy cars and such and I believe that they wouldnt be optimal for my application 5500 to 7000. Also, when the engine is a part I can have the pistons notched too.

Also with the pulley sizes and max RPM for the supercharger I figure that I will tap every bit it has to offer by 6800K RPM. I was thinking a 25% increase with this supercharger.

Lee

Quick Reply: What cam for a vortech blower in dragster?