Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Best rotation for Kumho 710's

Old 07-25-2009, 06:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best rotation for Kumho 710's

I have a new set of (4) 710's that have just 6 Autocross runs and I want to make them last as long as I can given their so damn expensive. (275/40/17, not that I think that matters. My mods are my sig if that makes any difference either)
What's the best rotation? Just front to back after each event, or Front to back along with Side to side? Any particular pattern?
I know after a while, I can flip them on the rims to get a little longer life, but for now, what is the best way to rotate to keep the wear as even as possible?

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Anyone?
The next race is tomorrow morning and I'm looking for some ideas.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:00 AM
TECH Addict

i diagonally swapped mine after every event. no reason to keep them in the same position if youre swapping tires after every event anyway. unless theyre stored absolutely perfectly, youll only get one season out of them. count your races, and flip them midway through.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
i diagonally swapped mine after every event. no reason to keep them in the same position if youre swapping tires after every event anyway. unless theyre stored absolutely perfectly, youll only get one season out of them. count your races, and flip them midway through.
Thanks, thats what i did for the race. I'll plan on swapping diagonally and rotate them side to side in between. I think I'll get two seasons out of them if i rotate well. A lot of the guys i run with get two out of set if they take care of them.
We'll have to wait and see....

Thanks for responding.

Last edited by Racin'Z28; 07-27-2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: typos
Old 07-27-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

i tried getting 2 years out of mine. didnt work. they hardened up and i might as well have been on old street tires all year. the entire season i was off. couldnt turn at all. found out, at the next to last race, it was the tires all along. they have to be stored PERFECTLY.

unless youre all out for competing and getting the maximum performance, id suggest getting a different tire that will actually last 2 seasons. unless you dont mind spending $900 every year. my next dedicated race tires will either be used grand am take offs (have a set now) or something like unshaved R888, or NT01s. still r comps, but are designed to be street driven and can get 2 full years out of them.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Hankook has info on their WEB site about storing race tires over the winter. They recommend they not see freezing temps and have be stored with only about 10 PSI in them. When my race tires have gotten hard, I have used Formula V on them and it worked very well. They got soft and sticky again and I got four more events out of them before I corded them.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
i tried getting 2 years out of mine. didnt work. they hardened up and i might as well have been on old street tires all year. the entire season i was off. couldnt turn at all. found out, at the next to last race, it was the tires all along. they have to be stored PERFECTLY.

unless youre all out for competing and getting the maximum performance, id suggest getting a different tire that will actually last 2 seasons. unless you dont mind spending $900 every year. my next dedicated race tires will either be used grand am take offs (have a set now) or something like unshaved R888, or NT01s. still r comps, but are designed to be street driven and can get 2 full years out of them.
Thanks, I will have to look into using those. I kept looking for some take offs but ended up buying new since I couldn't the 275/40/17's in used. I will research those R888 and NT01's. I've heard a lot of people talking about them.

Originally Posted by dgmiller
Hankook has info on their WEB site about storing race tires over the winter. They recommend they not see freezing temps and have be stored with only about 10 PSI in them. When my race tires have gotten hard, I have used Formula V on them and it worked very well. They got soft and sticky again and I got four more events out of them before I corded them.
Thanks for the tip on storage. Also, I've never heard of Formula V. What is it and where can I get it?

Thanks to both of you guys.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:18 AM
TECH Addict

fomula V is a liquid that softens rubber. its actually a semi-common chemical, but i forgot what its called. the difference is when its called form. V its expensive; if you buy it with its normal name its cheap. its only good for a few times. i doubt you can get an entire second season out of it. youll have to use it every time you race, and it stinks like hell.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...RODUCT_ID=6868

i just got 4 of these. $320 shipped to my door. cant beat the price, and after just one very tight autox, theyre at least better then my soon to be worn out falken 615s. havent had them on a track yet, but i assume theyll do pretty well. theyre not as good as brand new 710s, of course, but for less then $400 shipped, you cant go wrong.

as much as i hate to do it, it may be almost necessary to switch to 18s for race rubber. there are less and less choices for used 17 slicks now, as everyone has gone to 18s. 00 Trans Ram switched to 18s, and he races competitively. he said he used to have a huge choice in used 17s. now it takes a month to find some, yet used 18s are a dime a dozen. i may look around for some cheap 18in vette rims, just for this purpose.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Default Formula V

I got it from Jeggs.

Search this Thread