Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

multiple coats

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry multiple coats

my trans am got hit in a parking lot, the person drove off. My car has about 6 layers of paint (including the primer). Can i just sand it down
1 - 2 layers of paint and then repaint it, or do i have to go all the way down?
Old 11-18-2003, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Need more details. Are there deep scratches that removed the paint, or did it just remove the clear coat? If the damage is only cometic (i.e. no broken parts), and the scratches aren't deep, you should be able to wet-sand the area and re-clear without needing paint. If the damage went down into the primer and removed the paint, you need to repaint then re-apply the clear coat. As long as it didn't get into the primer, you can get away with just clear coating the area again after you sand down and smooth any scratches.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Default details

well the hit ripped off paint all the way down to bare metal. I dont want to just repair the area. I was going to get a new paint job anyway. I want to know if i can just get the dent fixed and smoothe out that area or if i need to go all the way down to metal.

thanks
Old 11-19-2003, 07:45 AM
TECH Junkie

If it's just a small to medium sized dent, depending where it is, you should try dry ice. You can find it at your local tom thumb and something like $2 will get you a good amount to work with just make sure you wear gloves or your hands will freeze off. If it does work it'll save you money at the body shop but if not at least it's only $2...worth a shot. If some of the hit took it to the bare metal more than likely you'll have to go to the metal or it would cause small divets where it went all the way down as opposed to where it didnt.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

I'm thinking your question is do you have to remove the paint from the entire area or just the one spot were the damage was caused. You don't have to remove all the paint as long as there are no dips or bumps after you repair the damaged spot. Everything should be as smooth as silk. The primer should blend in smoothly with the original paint.

Was it hit on one of the rear quarter panels? Those are the only areas that are metal. Since the damage went into the metal then there are more steps needed to fix it. First you would have to remove the dent, then sand then area down. Then you apply body filler (bondo) then resand that spot. Once the area is smooth to the touch you can apply body sealer (primer). You don't have to apply primer to the whole area, just that one spot. That should keep the area good for a while until you can paint. But don't leave it for too long as the primer is not good at keeping the body protected for extended periods. Once your ready to paint you can resand the area again, then apply a few coats of paint, then apply a good amount of clear coat. Hope this helps.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Also if you're doing it yourself make sure to get some thinner to clean the metal before you prime it because over time the little flakes of paint from sanding and/or the oils from your hands will cause the paint to bubble. After cleaning the area with the thinnner make sure to wear some latex gloves or not touch it

Quick Reply: multiple coats