General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default overheating issue

ok yesterday i had a belt break and antifreeze leaked all over the place had a big puddle under the car when i pulled over. so i checked everything out the tensioner seemed to be loose guess from the engine vibrating so much. so i tightned it and replaced the belt. i added a gallon of antifreeze took it on a short drive it was climbing to 200degree and over on a short drive through subdivision. so i come home top off radiator because it seemed empty, then i start the engine let it idle for a few minutes check the guage temperature is climbing over 200 again. anybody know what could be the issue, didnt have any problems until the belt slipped and shredded.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Air bubble in the system. Take the radiator cap off, start the engine, leave the radiator cap off, squeeze the upper and lower radiator hoses (alot and constantly) while your waiting for it to heat up so you can move the air bubble through the system. When you see the level of coolant drop, top it off quickly. Put the cap back on. That should do it. Might want to wait till it flows once more then top it off again, then go for a drive.

Your air bubble is sitting on the engine side of the thermostat. So just air is touching your t-stat and not fluid, so its not gonna open.

You just have to work it through.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

how did coolant leak out from a sepentine belt breaking????
Old 07-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Banned

Massive heat, builds pressure, spits it out the over flow.

When my serpentine belt broke years ago while doing a hard run on the highway, almost my entire radiator emptied on me. Let it cool, filled it back up, replaced the belt and its been fine ever since.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

yep thats what happened to me, now i know how the radiator emptied the overflow tank was full and i was like what in the world happened. thought a line blew off or something.

thanks for the info ls6427 helped alot.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

oh ok... i didn't think about that because i assumed he would have shut the car off once the belt broke... well i would have anyway
Old 07-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

well i was cruising on the highway and didnt notice it until about a mile or 2 when my guage shot up.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Banned

I didn't know mine was getting hot when mine broke until I just by chance looked down and it was in the red. I was doing about 140mph. I took my foot off the gas, turned the engine off immediately and rolled to a stop on the highway. A State Farm safety truck pulled up behind me and had a big jug of water. I was able to open my radiator cap right away because the radiator was empty. I had a relief valve type of cap to relive the pressure slowly anyway. Notthat the water pump was gonna pump water, but I topped it off and drove it about 2 miles to a place I could park it over night.

It was fine. The next day I replaced the belt, topped it off again and everything was jim dandy.