General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

rpms take forever to drop after burnout

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rpms take forever to drop after burnout

well i went to the track last night and noticed something strange. i set my line lock, dumped the clutch in 1st and held the rpms at about 4k for a few seconds. i let off the line lock and rode it out a few feet, then hit the clutch. instead of the rpms dropping back down, they hung around 3500 for a little while and took a long time to finally drop down to idle. it's not like what happens sometimes where your normally driving and hit the clutch and the rpms stay up, because it used to do that, but i cleaned all the sensors, and it hasn't done it sense. does anybody have any idea what could cause it to do that?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't answer your question but I have noticed the same thing from time to time. I usually just give the engine a quick rev with the clutch in and it then drops down to a reasonable idle. *shrug*

Dope
Old 07-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Usually points to a vacuum leak, as long as you KNOW for sure your TB blade is closing all the way when you take your foot completely off the gas pedal.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

i believe the blade it closing all the way. and it's never done it before, just after the burnout. i guess i wont worry about it, unless it becomes a problem.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

I highly doubt it is a vacuum leak. My intake is all tight. I tightened it myself. Mine does it after a burnout too. A rev kinda fixes it for me too.

I think the engine goes a little rich while doing burnouts so it is keeping the right amount of air going in while controlling the idle for a short time. What's funny is it does not do it when free revving. I just wait till the tach drops before I stage.