Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a better water pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:47 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Looking for a better water pump

I’ve done a search and have only determined that the Evans water pump really doesn’t cool better than the stock pump.

Has anybody tried the Edelbrock water pump?

I like the idea of an electric water pump, the 55 GMP Meziere looks nice. BUT, as the drive belt still rides around on the pulley, the power gain is kinda negated by the belt still on the pulley.

Wondering-can an electric pump be used and the belt routing be re-configured to not run around the water pump pulley?
Old 07-27-2009, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I’ve done a search and have only determined that the Evans water pump really doesn’t cool better than the stock pump.

Has anybody tried the Edelbrock water pump?

I like the idea of an electric water pump, the 55 GMP Meziere looks nice. BUT, as the drive belt still rides around on the pulley, the power gain is kinda negated by the belt still on the pulley.

Wondering-can an electric pump be used and the belt routing be re-configured to not run around the water pump pulley?
The black bell is nothing more than what it is - a static belt tensioner riding on a bearing. It spins so freely - you can spin it with your fingertip.

I removed mine and sold it. It didn't help solve my overheating problem. But if I raced and wanted quick cooldown - I probably would have kept it.

IMO you can spend the $5 - 6 hundred dollars on better fans, bigger radiator, etc. or a set of drag radials that you get you quicker from point a to point b than the questionable 5-6 hp claimed by an EWP.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea the "pulley" spins freely...it doesn't have to pump anything...just spin. while you theoretically would gain power by eliminating the bell...it won't be enough to ever notice.

while the price is high for the Mez pump, its a nice unit, install is easy, functions great, and frees up a little power.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:21 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I was very happy with the Mez 55GPM pump on my LT1. I am considering going with it.

Has anybody managed to re-route the belt so it doesn't go around the pump?

Thanks guys....