Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Annoying Tick! (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Annoying Tick! (Video)

I have a 99 firehawk ta and last night it started with this tick and its driving me nuts! I was messing around on the highway and ran in to the high rpms but really didnt hit the rev limiter or anything so. Sounds to me like its coming like from the intake, but don't hold me to that. It gets louder and faster with the higher rpms, so my guess is that its a lifter or bent rod. Is there any way to test to see if it is a lifter without taking the head off. anyone with any help is greatly appreciated. And sorry for the sound distortion, when your taking video you cant really tell what will get the point across. But here it is....

I have seen another guy and on here and mine sounds exactly like his and he had a bent pushrod. Just got done pulling the drivers side rockers and pushrods, when it lets up on this sprinkling here im gonna rip out the passenger side ones. What exactly is considered a "bent" pushrod? I roll them and it looks and sounds like they are BAREly bent, but to the eye on a flat surface doesnt really look like it is. Any and all help will benefit me insanely! Thanks

Old 07-27-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EDIT:

Just FULLY read your post now...

If it wiggles at ALL...dont use it.

If none of them wiggle/move, it could be a lifter as well. An old school trick is to dump 1/2 quart of trans fluid in the oil to free a stuck/collapsed lifter. You could try that.

Also, if you put it back together try pushing down on the top rocker to see if one of the lifters collapses easily.

Good luck man

Last edited by TooLateVTEC; 07-27-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My old '99 SS did the same thing to my buddy a few weeks ago and he kept revving it and driving it and the pushrod broke, hit the head, and tore the bottom of head. Well luckily I had a warranty policy almost up and it covered the $2700 for replacing the head , valve, rocker arm, and pushrods . I tried to tell him that putting Lucas oil treatment in and revving the crap out of it isn't the way to fix a stuck lifter or a bent pushrod , but he said he knew what he was doing ! LOL ! The stock pushrods are crap and don't like hitting the rev limiter .

Rick