Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

My rear axle bearings are going or have gone out have some play in the rear wheels

Old 07-27-2009, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My rear axle bearings are going or have gone out have some play in the rear wheels

I can get a set of dorman's from my store from 2 and change but I have a 4 channel rear end should I be worried? because the description said nothing about a t/c car. Do the reluctor rings come off the old axle's so I can put them on the new ones I buy? Also is there a way I can buy a stronger upgrade axle for a stock 10 bolt?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

God this is going to be a pain in the ***! I heard that the gm axle's are soft and that's why they always have problems with them. That's why I would like to go with a dorman part because supposedly they are more durable. But trying to find a dorman axle for a T/C car is going to be a pain in the ***, all the ones i've seen are for NON T/C cars
Old 07-27-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Can someone research if a dorman part# 630-122 axle shaft assembly will work? I called partstrain.com and he said it will, I dont see how because the picture they have for 630-122 doesnt have the reluctor wheel for the abs or tcs.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

The part on the rear axle is called the "exciter ring." They're pressed on the stock axles, and can be pulled off with a prybar or other similar method (be careful not to damage the teeth). You'll need to get them pressed on your new axles, though.

I'm sure I'll be the first of many to say this, but the stock 10-bolt is not worth putting money into unless it's broken. The axleshafts aren't the only point of weakness on this rear - the small gear setup contributes to failure, as well. If I were you, I'd put the money you'll spend on axles into the bank & save up for a decent 12-bolt or 9-inch rear.

Search this Thread