Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibration after stall change

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration after stall change

My car had a tci converter with 7/16 torque converter bolts.I swapped it out with a ptc converter with 3/8 bolts and now I have a vibration, you can feel it in the trans tunnel and the steering wheel with the car in park and sitting still. I talked to someone and they said the bolts being smaller and having more slack in the holes would cause that. I thought the snout on the converter centered it not the bolts. Was he right?I also installed a yank relocation crossmember didn't know if that would have anything to do with it.any input is appreciated thanks
Old 07-27-2009, 10:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yeah but the bolts hold it tight if they move in the holes it will move in the bolt holes
Free Cooler, Free shipping always, 2 year warranty Trans/Coverter combos, No Core or Core charge, $150 LS1 core buy back, All trans Dyno Tested to Be sure it works when you get it.Customer videos, Tech Thread, Open 7 Days a Week! Call or http://opi.yahoo.com/online?u=performabuilt&m=g&t=2Click Banner for Website.
Not Just Built.....PerformaBuilt!

Old 07-28-2009, 06:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The converter Pilot - aka snout - is what centers the converter. Make sure the pilot is engaging in the crank. The LS style converters have a longer pilot. Only thing that worries me about the flex-plate holes being to big is the bolt pulling through. If you used a big washer, I think that will be fine. Watch out for clearance with the bolt head hitting the block. Good Luck.

Chris
Old 07-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Circle-D
The converter Pilot - aka snout - is what centers the converter. Make sure the pilot is engaging in the crank. The LS style converters have a longer pilot. Only thing that worries me about the flex-plate holes being to big is the bolt pulling through. If you used a big washer, I think that will be fine. Watch out for clearance with the bolt head hitting the block. Good Luck.

Chris
Thanks that makes me feel better. The converter pilot is all the way in the crank like it should be. The holes aren't big enough that the bolt head would pull threw the flexplate but I still used washers. I just wanted to make sure the bolts aren't what center the converter. Thanks again Troy
Old 08-02-2009, 12:02 AM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you by chance add a poly trans mount during the swap? If so, That's likely what you are feeling. Just a thought
Old 08-02-2009, 08:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My Fuddle has an imbalance that the old TCI and stocker didn't.
But after the cam there came enough motor shake, that the
converter isn't noticeable anymore.

Sometimes taking out the bolts and rotating to the 1/3 or 2/3
angles, finds you a better balanced position. You can do this
without removing the converter / trans. But it didn't help me
out any.

Quick Reply: vibration after stall change