Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter issues help~!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 01:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter issues help~!

Hey I have a 2000 LS1 and for some reason the starter won't stop trying to start the car. I have had the starter tested at several different places and they all tell me its fine. As soon as I connect the negative battery cable to the terminal the starter engages, I have noticed the smaller of the two wires sparking near the ground wire attached to the block, I've traced all the wires and they all seem fine, any ideas? This issue is really kicking my ***. Thanks.

Oh and by the way, yes the starter was installed properly.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000SLPCamaro
Hey I have a 2000 LS1 and for some reason the starter won't stop trying to start the car. I have had the starter tested at several different places and they all tell me its fine. As soon as I connect the negative battery cable to the terminal the starter engages, I have noticed the smaller of the two wires sparking near the ground wire attached to the block, I've traced all the wires and they all seem fine, any ideas? This issue is really kicking my ***. Thanks.

Oh and by the way, yes the starter was installed properly.

There is no negative battery cable going to the starter...
that black cable comes from the battery positive terminal... (see attached diagram).

You may have either of the following situations at the starter connections:
- the black and purple cable connections are reversed;
- one connection is touching the other one (a short).
Attached Thumbnails starter issues help~!-starter.gif  
Old 07-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand that there is no negative cable going to the starter but again, I had to remove the negative battery cable to the battery to get the starter to stop trying to start the car or engaging. Attached are two wires, one big red one from the battery with a 13mm bolt going to a terminal on the starter and another one is a smaller purple wire with a 8mm bolt going to the terminal. I can see the smaller of the two wires arcing when someone else connects the negative battery terminal. Again, I am still confused on how to fix this situation and the starter is hooked up properly. Any information to help me resolve this is greatly appriciated.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh, I see about negative battery cable, sorry, I misunderstood...

The smaller terminal may be touching or may be too close to the terminal that goes from solenoid to motor (the 3rd terminal)... loosen and reposition the smaller terminal so that it has more space around it.