Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad transmission leak at rear housing :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Bad transmission leak at rear housing :(

I just installed my LT's and ORY about 4 days ago (no issues then) but after I had it retuned and dyno'd I drove home and noticed after about 4hrs of sitting and not running I had a puddle of trans fluid about 14inches in diameter. After sitting all night it made a new puddle about 18 inches... I tried to look without lifting and it lookes like it is leaking right where the rear housing bolts up to the trans. I just replaced the rear seal earlier in the year so I can't imagine that would be the issue, but even if it was, my rear seal didn't leak this bad. I wouldn't call it violent, but I did watch it drip and my pan, exhaust, and bottom of my car is pretty moist... I can take pictures if needed, but any input would be great! I have work tomorrow so the sooner I get this thing figured out, the better!

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2009, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a cracked tailshaft housing to me. i just cracked my second one. lol it was kind of my fault with the last one. i broke both of mine on the dyno. the torque arm is mounted to the tailshaft and puts alot of stress on it. it seems to be pretty violent when on the rollers. did you get your shift points tuned while on the rollers or on the street?? thats what seemed to do it for me, it made the car really jerk around.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Yup! Just replaced it! Haha, but it's weird, I shifts set back to STOCK this time! He only did two pulls and I made a 1.5hr drive home on it. :/ Oh well! Wasn't too hard to replace, a punk to find though!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This typically happens on A4 cars with the steel driveshaft, vibration induced cracking on the dyno.