Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best cat??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best cat??

Well took my car in to smog and it failed horribly. I have slp hf cats at the moment. should i just go back to stock or try getting a new set of cats for smogging?? i havent had my car tuned yet and ive replaced my intake maf and installed LT cats y pipe and exhaust would a tune effect how horribly i am failing?? does RT make better cats and who makes the best cats anyone know??
Old 07-28-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, having headers and no tune will make it run rich...and may cause it to fail emissions depending on how bad it is running.

Do you have the values (like NOx,etc) from the test?
Old 07-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Teching In

I do have them they are HC 50 max 110 failed co .48 max .55 failed NO 414 max 1976 failed at a 15 mph roll was failed as a gross polluter

HC 34 max 39 failed co .45 max .33 passed and NO 701 max 963 failed. 25 mph roll. I have a hook up on the visual. Just cant get it to pass the smog part. The SLP HF cats i put in like 20000 miles or so but i never tuned the car and the 02's in front are brand new and the rear ones have like 10k miles on them. the old ones i pulled where all black and nasty

I also threw a code p0137 for a heater circuit fail for an 02 sensor. does that mean i need to replace one then? Replacing the oldish cats will plus a tune and some ethenol make me pass you think?
Old 07-28-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that EGR still hooked up and working?

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0137

According to that site, it may be a bad Os sensor, exhaust leak near the sensor,or a clogged cat. I doubt the cat is clogged. That code is for the rear driver side sensor, so make sure the wires are pinched or rubbed through somewhere grounding to metal.

You can swap o2's from side to side and see if the trouble code follows the sensor or stays on the bank 1 sensor 2 location. If it follows the sensor than it may be a bad sensor.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Yup got all the emissions still on. what do you mean by the egr still working is there a way to check it? I have a friend coming thursday with hp tuners and we are going to try and clean up the tune and a/f and get the emmisions under control hopefully. that and just delete the rear 02 sensors out. will deleting them effect me when i get my smog? When they hook the obd2 thing up it wont say anything will it? i will have all the codes deleted out as well.