Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

ms3 cam thoughts and opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ms3 cam thoughts and opinions

im wanting to install a cam and i thought about going with the magic stick3 as i was reading up on the texas speed web-site all it said on their was custom tune required but i know its gotta be more than that so my question is what all would i need? springs... pushrods.... retainers.....?????

question 2- would a 3200 stall be to small

question 3- is this to big of a cam to daily drive with no issues

any input would be gladly appreciated
Old 07-29-2009, 01:01 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im wanting to install a cam and i thought about going with the magic stick3 as i was reading up on the texas speed web-site all it said on their was custom tune required but i know its gotta be more than that so my question is what all would i need? springs... pushrods.... retainers.....?????

question 2- would a 3200 stall be to small

question 3- is this to big of a cam to daily drive with no issues

any input would be gladly appreciated
If you go with the MS3, you will need valvesprings, the PRC dual gold's will do fine. You will also need hardened pushrods. Retainers would be good but not a must. If you do retainers, get titanium one to lighten the valvetrain and cut down on noise. There are alot of mixed opinions on whats daily drivable and what is not. Some will say you can daily drive an MS4 with no issues. Its all a matter of taste, in my opinion. Something that is daily drivable would be the TR228 from Thunder Racing, or the G5X1 from LG Motorsports. As for a stall, it depends on how big a cam you are running along with supporting mods. I'm assuming you are pretty much stock so I woul go with a 3500 stall. A 3200 is a little on the small side. Make sure you have a set of headers to put on there too if you don't already.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with an auto you can really put any cam and it will drive pretty good with a good tune. yea just my the prc dual valve spring kit and you will be set, you dont need new pushrods im still on the stockers, id rather have one bend and make noise then snap, and with that sized came id go with a 3500 stall. honeslty i dont think f bodys should be dd's there loud clunky not good in bad weather but that me . i love my saturn for dd and my trans am for the nice days makes you appriciate it more that i dont drive it as often
Old 07-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Banned

you dont need new pushrods im still on the stockers, id rather have one bend and make noise then snap,
No disrespect intended bro, but that is a bit foolish. They are only $90. Better safe than sorry.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to each his own but incase of an over rev id rather bend one then break a hardened one drop a valve and bam motor gone
Old 07-30-2009, 03:42 AM
Banned

to each his own but incase of an over rev id rather bend one then break a hardened one drop a valve and bam motor gone
Toucher
Old 07-30-2009, 05:19 AM
Launching!

This might be an anomoly, but I have swapped over 25 cams and never used hardened push rods. In fact I installed a T Rex cam which is about as big as you can go...Not one rod has yet to bend, maybe I'm just lucky, but I'll never buy them.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for all your input guys i cant wait to get this done. but i guess this is my next question i live in knoxville tn can any of you guys recommend i good place to get my car tuned?

Quick Reply: ms3 cam thoughts and opinions