Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Body Steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Body Steering

Any of you guys that have done a LSX swap into a first gen Camaro or Firebird I guess, did you have drag link interference with the oil pan. I'm using BRP mounts in a 1969 Camaro and my oil pan hits the drag link. I don't want to buy or cut the oil pan. I thought I saw thread about using a Chevelle drag link, can't find it now. Has anybody done this. Or can you use a drop pit man/idler arm for a lifted vehicle to drop the drag link down some? I'm trying to find some other way cause a oil pan is $400+ US for me and I don't to go with a R&P. Could I just fabricate a drop style drag link?
Old 07-29-2009, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would change the pan. You can really mess up the steering angles and bumpsteer when you start changing pitman and idler locations etc.

I set my engine back to avoid pan interference with the stock drag link.

New pan is your best bet, Autokraft, moroso, etc.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was also researching for other options. there was an older thread about using a F-Body pan and able to use some shorter Idler and Pitman arms.. search on "Pitman arm" it was by LS1Nova99... he list some of the part numbers.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bczee
I was also researching for other options. there was an older thread about using a F-Body pan and able to use some shorter Idler and Pitman arms.. search on "Pitman arm" it was by LS1Nova99... he list some of the part numbers.
I think he was also using Hooker plates which put the engine a lot farther back.

Quick Reply: F-Body Steering