General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

metal on... rocks sound??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy metal on... rocks sound??

I was driving the other day and everything was fine, and I went over a part of the road that was under construction. I hear this rocks hitting metal sound kind of like when asphalt gets thrown into the wheel well or like a metal plate going across the road. It kept going down the road. So I pull over and I check under the car, everything looks ok...

So then its idling like normal and I'm parked, and I give it a rev to like 3000 rpm, and I hear the sound again. Its like rocks or something got thrown up underneath the engine bay, like in the exhaust manifolds and they're rattling around and then fall and settle... The sound goes away until I hit it again.

No check engine light, car *runs* fine, power seems ok, my air filter is on, my MAF isn't descreened, it's not doing it on a brake torque.

I've had people mention it could be the water pump or something like that, no ideas though.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Does it sound like detonation?

Old 07-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Might be the honeycomb part of your cats has come loose, but thats just a guess.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:13 AM
Teching In

If your car is an automatic I would check for pebbles in the torque converter dust sheild
Old 08-23-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check if pebbles have gotten into your fan shroud, happpened to my friends vette