Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTV Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:39 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PTV Question

I was wondering if someone would let me know if PTV would be a problem on a stock 346 with 241's with a 236/249 .647/614 112+4....hopefully someone will let me know...also what size head gaskets (thickness) would you recomend?

-Dave
Old 07-30-2009, 03:54 AM
11 Second Club

That's gonna be really close on a stock cc head. Absolutely check on that one. Why you running such a wide duration between the intake and exhaust? You plan on spraying the hell out of it?

I'd stick with the thickest gasket you can if you want to keep from flycutting.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:15 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 00MaroonZ28
That's gonna be really close on a stock cc head. Absolutely check on that one. Why you running such a wide duration between the intake and exhaust? You plan on spraying the hell out of it?

I'd stick with the thickest gasket you can if you want to keep from flycutting.
Very big shot....and hopefully someone will chime in with a definate answer....
Old 07-30-2009, 09:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

there is no such thing as a definate answer when it comes to PTV. every engine is different, and the only way to be abslotely sure is to check it yourself. if your dumping all this money into this motor and you skimp out on things like this for advice from someone on here who may not have a clue, your just asking for problems. do it once, do it right.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:32 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by bww3588
there is no such thing as a definate answer when it comes to PTV. every engine is different, and the only way to be abslotely sure is to check it yourself. if your dumping all this money into this motor and you skimp out on things like this for advice from someone on here who may not have a clue, your just asking for problems. do it once, do it right.
so your saying on this whole website with everyone's infinite knowledge no one would be able to tell me if with a stock 346ci ls1 motor what the max duration to lift equation would be? I doubt that highly...and in no way am I skimping out...saying I'm skimping out is just like those idiots that say you can't run 5.3 heads with a Trex cam....I'm simply asking a question...nothing more...I don't planing on using people's advice as the bible...just curious to opinions....but back to my original question...hopefully one of the Guru's on here can fill me in...if not I might have to invest in a fly cutting tool just to play it safe...
Old 07-31-2009, 02:40 AM
11 Second Club

Well then, why don't you play it safe and go ahead and flycut. And since you're basically running a custom cam there's no definite answer that it will even clear the PTV. Even the shops on large cam's recommend you check the PTV clearance. Call up TR and ask the PTV clearance on the T-Rex. Yes it's made to clear stock heads, but they still advise you to check first. Like said above, every engine is different.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You'll need to check, it will be tight. It certainly will not have .080/.100 clearances
And if this is a stock block, how big do you think you can spray before it grenades itself?
Old 07-31-2009, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero4488
so your saying on this whole website with everyone's infinite knowledge no one would be able to tell me if with a stock 346ci ls1 motor what the max duration to lift equation would be? I doubt that highly...and in no way am I skimping out...saying I'm skimping out is just like those idiots that say you can't run 5.3 heads with a Trex cam....I'm simply asking a question...nothing more...I don't planing on using people's advice as the bible...just curious to opinions....but back to my original question...hopefully one of the Guru's on here can fill me in...if not I might have to invest in a fly cutting tool just to play it safe...
thats exactly what im telling you. its a custom cam, and there are no definate max duration/lift numbers on cams that clear stock short blocks. i dont think you understand the tolarences in these engines, when the engine gets hot your going to lose .010 of an inch clearence on PTV. if your only at .030 and a spring decides to hang for a split second, your motor is toast.

and yes, im saying your skimping out by not checking it.