Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e PNP switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 04:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e PNP switch

I am trying to make sense of the electrical wiring diagram form Mitchell's book.

This harness came out of a 02 Pontiac TA.

The PNP switch connector is a 6 pin Female.

A - BLK/WHT --> C220 # E --> GND # G110
B - ORG/BLK --> C220 # H --> PCM Blu Conn Pin# 34 --> PNP switch signal in
C - BRN --> IGN 3 voltage --> ??
D - LT GRN --> Backup lamp supply voltage
E - PPL/WHT --> Starter relay coil supply voltage - Goes to underhood C101 pin# J and also the IP cluster.
F - DRK GRN --> C200A/C200D # A6 ckt # 1433 --> Underhood starter Relay --> Clutch start switch signal.

1. what is IGN 3 voltage and where can I tap that from ?

2. why does the starter relay supply voltage have to go to the IP cluster? Is this how the voltmeter gauge work ?

3. If the car is a A4 , why is the Clutch start signal required for the starter relay ? I did a advanced search and found this to be same of 06 4L60e's and other similar trans.

Maybe my book is a misprint. Can sombody pls check the wiring in a GM manual or other sources ?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2009, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

anybody
Old 08-07-2009, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by screaminChick-n
I am trying to make sense of the electrical wiring diagram form Mitchell's book.

This harness came out of a 02 Pontiac TA.

The PNP switch connector is a 6 pin Female.

A - BLK/WHT --> C220 # E --> GND # G110
B - ORG/BLK --> C220 # H --> PCM Blu Conn Pin# 34 --> PNP switch signal in
C - BRN --> IGN 3 voltage --> ??
D - LT GRN --> Backup lamp supply voltage
E - PPL/WHT --> Starter relay coil supply voltage - Goes to underhood C101 pin# J and also the IP cluster.
F - DRK GRN --> C200A/C200D # A6 ckt # 1433 --> Underhood starter Relay --> Clutch start switch signal.

1. what is IGN 3 voltage and where can I tap that from ?

2. why does the starter relay supply voltage have to go to the IP cluster? Is this how the voltmeter gauge work ?

3. If the car is a A4 , why is the Clutch start signal required for the starter relay ? I did a advanced search and found this to be same of 06 4L60e's and other similar trans.

Maybe my book is a misprint. Can sombody pls check the wiring in a GM manual or other sources ?

Thanks
Here's what the GM manual has....

1. IGN 3 voltage is simply a fused 12V+ source that is hot in run, bulb test, and start.

2. The starter relay supply voltage goes to the instrument cluster and the PCM on some V6 cars to indicate cranking, why I don't know.

3. It doesn't. The schematic simply shows both paths, one for auto trans cars, and one for manual trans cars.

So, on an '02 the starter relay is fed 12V+ from the Starter 15A fuse via the PPL/WHT wire to pin "E" of the P/N switch, out on pin "F" on the DK GRN wire to the coil of the relay, and the ground side of the relay coil is controlled on the YEL/BLK wire by the BCM based on an OK from the Theft Deterrent system. Obviously you don't need that.

I assume you are swapping into another vehicle. If all you want is to use the P/N switch to control the starter relay like a normal car, do this:

Feed 12V+ to the starter relay coil from the ignition's switch's start position, and take the ground side of the coil to pin "E" of the P/N switch. Come out of pin "F" to chassis ground. This way, the relay will only engage the starter in park or neutral. Since the PCM needs to know when the trans is in park or neutral, tie pin "A" to chassis ground, and pin "B" to the appropriate PCM P/N input. For backup lamps, pins "C" and "D" are tied together when in reverse. One to the lamps, one to an ignition power source.

Have you seen a P/N switch like on S10 trucks? It mounts directly to the side of the transmission on the selector shaft, a much cleaner solution for swap vehicles.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:58 AM
On The Tree

thanks man for the good info.........i got the engine to crank

Quick Reply: 4l60e PNP switch