General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

power steering leak &@#$ed up my Alt

Old 07-30-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default power steering leak &@#$ed up my Alt

About 20k miles ago, i put in a new steering rack and power steering pump since the old one was leaking and the rack was also bad. Fast forward to now and the new pump leaks anyway. Well what happened is it leaks out the back? and right onto the alternator and i guess it shorted it out, cause it started smoking and after that the car volt meter showed in the yellow. I got home tested the alternator by disconnecting the negative from the batt and the car died. So it seems like now i need a new alternator, and to somehow fix the pump. by the way this was a HO alt that worked great up till now.

advice.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Regular

are you sure it's the pump itself?... the high pressure hose is known to leak onto the alternator and screw it up... seems like the pump shouldn't leak if it's new but you never know
Old 07-30-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

im not 100% its pump its basically leaking directly onto the alt? Got any pics of the high pressure hose? Cause it would be alot easier to fix that up/get new one than a new pump.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

it's threaded into the side of the power steering reservoir and wraps under the reservoir/pump, around the top of the alternator, and then into the front of the rack... it's a little difficult to get it out... i used a 16mm stubby open end wrench and was able to get it out without having to remove the power steering pulley
Old 07-30-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

hmm, do i need a new one? or is there something inherently wrong in the design? And how would i go about fixing it?
Old 07-30-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

if it is the hose that is leaking just get a new one and replace it... mine was leaking and my rack was shot so i replaced them at the same time and all is good now... oreilly has a lifetime warranty pressure hose for like $25... when you put it on just make sure it's routed properly and the serpentine belt isn't rubbing against it and you should be good to go
Old 08-02-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

put a new hose in today. Do I need to worry about getting air in the system? Or am I good to go?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Last night, I replaced my alternator for the 2nd time in the last 7 months. I know something oily is leaking onto the alternator on the plug that's located on top of the alternator.
If it's not the hose already mentioned in this thread, what else could it be?
I'm going to change the hose first and hope thats it.

Let me know how yours turns out xRelapse13
Old 08-03-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

if it's not the hose it could be leaking from the pump or the reservoir... i would clean it up real good and find out where it is coming from first... you could be wasting money on stuff you don't need... to xRelapse13 just fill the reservoir to the right level and leave the cap off then with the car running turn the wheel from lock to lock several times and that will purge any air out of the system and the level should go down a little... fill it back up and do the lock to lock thing over again to make sure all the air is out... the fluid might look a little foamy from the air but give it a few mins and it will go away
Old 08-03-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I should get to it this week. I got the LT warranty with AZ on the alternator.

What does it cost to replace the pump or reservoir?
Old 08-04-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Resident

went to put new alt in today, took out old, realized they gave me the wrong one. guessin for v6 model?
car is still up on jackstands...
Old 08-08-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I think I'm done with power steering, it's just not worth replacing crap every year or so.

Search this Thread